dCS Bartok
May 24, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #286 of 2,060
Well not entirely correct. As I mentioned in my previous posting, sound quality is not necessarily a factor in selling my Bartok. The Bartok sounds amazing and has a built in world class headphone amplifier. Really I don’t know of any one box solution that does it all, server, renderer, file ripping and management, a world class DAC and headphone stage and all in one chassis. Mosaic is wonderful operating system and the Bartok is nearly a one box solution, close but not quite. The Bartok has no in chassis ripper or file storage, so additional boxes are required. If I wasn’t trying to manage thousands of CD rips and downloads the Bartok would not be for sale. For those who listen primarily to streaming, have little file management requirements and want a wonderful DAC and headphone performance, the Bartok is the clear answer.

Addressing your conversion assumption. The Bartok is an extremely natural sound DAC yet ladder DACs are supposed to be more relaxed. I’ve heard conventional DA conversion DACs sound more relaxed than some ladder DACs. It’s far too much a simplification to assign the character of a DAC just to its D/A conversion chip set or RSR ladder. There is so much more to a DAC‘s final performance than just its D/A converter. The power supply design, input & clock design, quality of signal path partss and a host of other things contribute to the sound of a DAC.
There is no absolute best conversation design. Most of today’s finest state of the art DACs sound more similar than different with exception of some very colored tube DACs. Clearly there are some small subtleties in personalities of DACs, but as technology improves and refinement goes up, there is a convergence in sound and the sound created is more similar. This is much like, over the years finest solid state amplifiers most resemble the finest tubes amplifiers. You can take completely different roads and end up at the same destination.

You could save yourself from having to sell the Bartok and buying the innuos by adding a roo server to your system. I run room core on my mac book pro and connect the Bartok via the network. To be honest I tested the Bartok at my friends with his innuos statement and to both of us the improvement with the innuos was negligible. If you already have a pc room might be a great option. The interface is better than mosaic and the innuos app as well.

May 24, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #287 of 2,060
I would argue the opposite. The Bartok is a value compared to something like the Dave. It has a better headphone amp and built-in streamer as well. If you don't need the amp it is an even better value. Imo it sounds better as well.
Does Bartok sound better than Debussy stack? If not, then I think Bartok is a poor value. I can find cheaper solution than Debussy for improved timbre, PRaT and musical drive. I have my listening notes for Debussy from a few years back and it was meh for me.

May 24, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #288 of 2,060
Does Bartok sound better than Debussy stack? If not, then I think Bartok is a poor value. I can find cheaper solution than Debussy for improved timbre, PRaT and musical drive. I have my listening notes for Debussy from a few years back and it was meh for me.

The Bartok bests the debussy stack handily. The Bartok is much closer to the rossini than it is the debussy. The only way for you to know is to give one a listen.

May 24, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #289 of 2,060
The Bartok bests the debussy stack handily. The Bartok is much closer to the rossini than it is the debussy. The only way for you to know is to give one a listen.
Well, that's worth a listen. Too bad auditioning gear is kind of tough these days.

May 25, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #290 of 2,060
Hey guys,

I auditioned the Bartok together with a Chord Hugo TT 2 with (and without) M-scaler last weekend at my local dealer.
Just wanted to share my thoughts. I haven't been listening to decent quality headphone gear long, so take this with a grain of salt (or it might be a breath of fresh air, who knows...)

I listened to a dedicated playlist I put together containing music from Dire Straits, Snarky Puppy, Michel Godard, Frank Sinatra, Fink, Chris Jones, Nils Frahm, Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Daft Punk. I have a very broad taste in music.

My main home setup is Tidal > Chord Mojo > modded Bottlehead Crack > Sennheiser HD800S.

I started with the Hugo TT 2. Here are my notes comparing it to my modest home setup:
- More detailed and well defined placement within my head.
- I felt it easier to listen to, less "overlap" of sounds.
- It was also more dynamic, more "energetic".
- Not at all cold or harsh, what I "presumed" a highly detailed dac would sound like. It was a beautiful plus-model kind of sound, not anorexic at all! Full and lush, but never bloated or bloomy.

Adding the M-scaler had a bizarre effect on me, at that moment I was listening for a good 30-40minutes to the TT 2:
- From the first song with the M-scaler I started tapping my feet, bobbing my head and tapping my hands on my knees. I didn't do that once during the TT 2 only-session. Why? no idea! It was the physical reaction I had at that moment...
- It was not that I felt there was more detail in the music, but somehow the songs made more sense. It was more predictable in some sort of way. I could feel the exact moment when the next snare was going to hit in a sort of telepathic way. I was "anticipating" the next guitar strum, the next cymbal hit. Like looking in a glass ball a few moments ahead in the song. Never ever did I have that feeling when listening to music. Highly bizarre for newby me, highly addictive, but also a much more active listening experience. I couldn't sit still!

At this moment I went back to the TT 2 without the M-scaler, because I though my mind was playing tricks on me. "I probably anticipated "something" to happen with switching on the M-scaler, so now my brain is just fooling me right?" where my thoughts at that time.

Without the M-scaler, the TT 2 still sounded awesome, but the shot of adrenaline was missing. I didn't feel "on the edge of the knife" anymore... Switching it back in gave me goosebumps. I couldn't hear an objective difference in the sound, but the physical reaction was back and it put a smile on my face... Song after song with the M-scaler made me actually giggle. Everytime a new song started and that rythmic tsjoo-tsjoo train took off I kept making involuntaring "Hah!?", "Gow...", "Tssss" sounds. Such fun!

After this I had a chat with the sales rep and he was amused (to say the least) at my poor attempts of describing my experience so far. "I'm very curious to what you will feel with the Bartok" he told me. Well let's find out!

First thing I noticed is that the actual 1/4" jack was so smooth. Usually it is more a thump when "clicking" the jack into the socket. The dCS socket felt like it was made of butter. It was effortless. Coming from the very positive "click" of the Chord Mojo and also the TT 2, this was a first for me.

Every device, going from TT 2, then the M-scaler and last the Bartok, had a very different impact on me. I expected the differences to be subtle, like most of the tube rolling in my Bottlehead amp at home. But all three sounded and felt like completely different systems to me. And those differences were much greater than I expected!

The Bartok:

Where the Chord Hugo TT 2 put me on the edge of my seat and the M-scaler gave me a nice shot of adrenaline, the Bartok made me sit back in my seat with a stupid grin on my face. The Bartok was "zen". The thought that immediatly came to my mind was: "This is like these Japanese craftsmen, that have done just one thing their whole life. True masters of their trade". It was that image that came to mind with the Bartok, like I was in the hands of a master. I felt like the unit was not even trying. It felt like the Bartok was 200% in it's comfort zone. Playing those tunes for me was like asking a 3-star michelin chef to make me a BLT sandwich. A walk in the park.

The music was precise, highly detailed and silky smooth but also "alive". Guitar plucking was all of a sudden more dynamic, I felt the individual volume changes of subsequent strings when they are plucked a little softer or harder. I heard more of the reverberations, the echo, the sound bouncing off the walls in the recording room/church/hall between the actual notes played. I felt relaxed. The Bartok put me in the zone and for the next 20 minutes I just sat there, eyes closed, in another world.

When I finally put my headphones down this is what I told the sales rep: "The TT 2 is like a German Porsche 911. Direct, dynamic, planted, fast, oozes quality and is so well engineered it's hard to not like it. The M-scaler makes it into a Ferrari. On the cutting edge, a real 600hp race machine. The Bartok in comparison was to me the Rolls-Royce. Just as much, or maybe more raw horsepower, but it could not be more different in it's delivery and design. It doesn't drive, or race for that matter, it glides... effortlessly"

This was the most fun I had in years. I'm utterly fascinated that the act of listening could leave such a deep impression on me.

I think I'm hooked...

May 25, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #291 of 2,060
Might have missed it but what headphone did you use? Did you bring your HD800S?

May 26, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #292 of 2,060
Might have missed it but what headphone did you use? Did you bring your HD800S?

Yes, sorry. HD800s and stock SE cable. Music was streamed via my own laptop, 2013 MacBook Pro, using USB to all units. The USB cable was a Nordost Heimdall 2 to be precise.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #293 of 2,060
Hey guys,

I auditioned the Bartok together with a Chord Hugo TT 2 with (and without) M-scaler last weekend at my local dealer.
Just wanted to share my thoughts. I haven't been listening to decent quality headphone gear long, so take this with a grain of salt (or it might be a breath of fresh air, who knows...)

I listened to a dedicated playlist I put together containing music from Dire Straits, Snarky Puppy, Michel Godard, Frank Sinatra, Fink, Chris Jones, Nils Frahm, Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Daft Punk. I have a very broad taste in music.

My main home setup is Tidal > Chord Mojo > modded Bottlehead Crack > Sennheiser HD800S.

I started with the Hugo TT 2. Here are my notes comparing it to my modest home setup:
- More detailed and well defined placement within my head.
- I felt it easier to listen to, less "overlap" of sounds.
- It was also more dynamic, more "energetic".
- Not at all cold or harsh, what I "presumed" a highly detailed dac would sound like. It was a beautiful plus-model kind of sound, not anorexic at all! Full and lush, but never bloated or bloomy.

Adding the M-scaler had a bizarre effect on me, at that moment I was listening for a good 30-40minutes to the TT 2:
- From the first song with the M-scaler I started tapping my feet, bobbing my head and tapping my hands on my knees. I didn't do that once during the TT 2 only-session. Why? no idea! It was the physical reaction I had at that moment...
- It was not that I felt there was more detail in the music, but somehow the songs made more sense. It was more predictable in some sort of way. I could feel the exact moment when the next snare was going to hit in a sort of telepathic way. I was "anticipating" the next guitar strum, the next cymbal hit. Like looking in a glass ball a few moments ahead in the song. Never ever did I have that feeling when listening to music. Highly bizarre for newby me, highly addictive, but also a much more active listening experience. I couldn't sit still!

At this moment I went back to the TT 2 without the M-scaler, because I though my mind was playing tricks on me. "I probably anticipated "something" to happen with switching on the M-scaler, so now my brain is just fooling me right?" where my thoughts at that time.

Without the M-scaler, the TT 2 still sounded awesome, but the shot of adrenaline was missing. I didn't feel "on the edge of the knife" anymore... Switching it back in gave me goosebumps. I couldn't hear an objective difference in the sound, but the physical reaction was back and it put a smile on my face... Song after song with the M-scaler made me actually giggle. Everytime a new song started and that rythmic tsjoo-tsjoo train took off I kept making involuntaring "Hah!?", "Gow...", "Tssss" sounds. Such fun!

After this I had a chat with the sales rep and he was amused (to say the least) at my poor attempts of describing my experience so far. "I'm very curious to what you will feel with the Bartok" he told me. Well let's find out!

First thing I noticed is that the actual 1/4" jack was so smooth. Usually it is more a thump when "clicking" the jack into the socket. The dCS socket felt like it was made of butter. It was effortless. Coming from the very positive "click" of the Chord Mojo and also the TT 2, this was a first for me.

Every device, going from TT 2, then the M-scaler and last the Bartok, had a very different impact on me. I expected the differences to be subtle, like most of the tube rolling in my Bottlehead amp at home. But all three sounded and felt like completely different systems to me. And those differences were much greater than I expected!

The Bartok:

Where the Chord Hugo TT 2 put me on the edge of my seat and the M-scaler gave me a nice shot of adrenaline, the Bartok made me sit back in my seat with a stupid grin on my face. The Bartok was "zen". The thought that immediatly came to my mind was: "This is like these Japanese craftsmen, that have done just one thing their whole life. True masters of their trade". It was that image that came to mind with the Bartok, like I was in the hands of a master. I felt like the unit was not even trying. It felt like the Bartok was 200% in it's comfort zone. Playing those tunes for me was like asking a 3-star michelin chef to make me a BLT sandwich. A walk in the park.

The music was precise, highly detailed and silky smooth but also "alive". Guitar plucking was all of a sudden more dynamic, I felt the individual volume changes of subsequent strings when they are plucked a little softer or harder. I heard more of the reverberations, the echo, the sound bouncing off the walls in the recording room/church/hall between the actual notes played. I felt relaxed. The Bartok put me in the zone and for the next 20 minutes I just sat there, eyes closed, in another world.

When I finally put my headphones down this is what I told the sales rep: "The TT 2 is like a German Porsche 911. Direct, dynamic, planted, fast, oozes quality and is so well engineered it's hard to not like it. The M-scaler makes it into a Ferrari. On the cutting edge, a real 600hp race machine. The Bartok in comparison was to me the Rolls-Royce. Just as much, or maybe more raw horsepower, but it could not be more different in it's delivery and design. It doesn't drive, or race for that matter, it glides... effortlessly"

This was the most fun I had in years. I'm utterly fascinated that the act of listening could leave such a deep impression on me.

I think I'm hooked...

your post makes me really want to go and audition the bartok.. one of the shops in my area had the bartok on demo but i declined to try it because i didnt want to spend that amount of cash. now i am thinking.. maybe i should go and have a listen..

May 26, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #294 of 2,060
your post makes me really want to go and audition the bartok.. one of the shops in my area had the bartok on demo but i declined to try it because i didnt want to spend that amount of cash. now i am thinking.. maybe i should go and have a listen..
Not to detract from my findings but do keep in mind that:

- my experience in hearing this level of quality is extremely limited. I’m basically very “green” when it comes to giving any kind of advise on these units. I can only share my very limited point of view and only my experiences within this limited “experiment”
- Probably 80% of my review can be attributed to hearing this kind of quality equipment for the first time, in general.

So please look at my remarks solely in this light 👍

but I’m honoured that my words are making you want to try it!

I think you really should.

May 27, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #295 of 2,060
I blame you guys for this:beyersmile: I walked into my local store today with my Chord Hugo TT 2 and left with a Bartok. There is definitely

a big difference in weight I can confirm this.

This beauty will be powering my Meze Empyrean for now. Eventually ill get speakers for it but I'm not even going to bother thinking about that for now.

May 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #296 of 2,060
I blame you guys for this:beyersmile: I walked into my local store today with my Chord Hugo TT 2 and left with a Bartok. There is definitely

This beauty will be powering my Meze Empyrean for now. Eventually ill get speakers for it but I'm not even going to bother thinking about that for now.

I’m jealous! Great buy

May 27, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #297 of 2,060
May 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #298 of 2,060

I did the same thing 4 months ago. There is no going back.

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #299 of 2,060
My Bartok arrived several weeks ago and has been in constant use; amazing piece of HiFi gear. I now have the Rossini Clock on order :)

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #300 of 2,060
My Bartok arrived several weeks ago and has been in constant use; amazing piece of HiFi gear. I now have the Rossini Clock on order :)
I also just received my Bartok a week ago and going through burn-in. For the first week, I have found the resolution of the music to improve each day. Quite amazing.
My next big question is how much improvement the Rossini Clock can make to the Bartok. Would very much look forward to hearing your comments after adding the Rossini Clock to your Bartok. Have you auditioned the clock previously? Thanks for your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back