dCS Bartok
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #181 of 2,050
I am waiting to hear back from the dealer I only have had the Bartok for less than 2 weeks so I am hoping that they would take it back and just charge me the extra for the model with the amp. If not I might just buy my buddies formula s. He just bought the traformatic Primavera and the fully upgraded MSB premire.

The MSB and the Bartok were more similar than they were different. I think the Bartok was slightly less refined in the highs. They are both great dacs and I am interested to see what the rossini clock would do for the Bartok.

Also hopefully they will release the version 2 firmware update like they did for the rossini. I read on the roon forum that they are waiting to upgrade the rossini to a v3 before they release a v2 for the Bartok as it would put them really close in performance.

I hear lots of good things about formula s. If you do get it, I don't think you will miss or use the hp option much on the Bartok. I have the option but I prefer my pass amp and can't remember the last time I used the hp out on the Bartok.

Even the rossini clock is up there in price! I've been looking for a used rossini dac, but I think all of the owners are hoarding them. There aren't any. I read in the dcs community website that rossini dac alone is of course levels above the Bartok but much better than Bartok + clock.

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #182 of 2,050
I am in the process of comparing Tidal MQA to Qobuz Hi-Rez on the Bartok. So far, I would have to say that it varies with the particular album. Some MQA is spectacular. It depends on the recording and mastering. But I will say that having to wade through all of the hip-hop on Tidal (not interested) makes me more likely to select Qobuz first.

I don't think there are too many Bartok owners listening to hip-hop, lol. I have to admit, some of the new songs coming out these days really push the boundaries of audio spectrum and technicalities like never before. Sometimes I find myself listening to some really sorry stuff just because it is sonically interesting, whereas I would never watch crappy movies even in 4k, 8k, or OLED.

Same here, I have both but I find myself reaching for Qobuz first. I think their library is expanding too. Let us know how your comparison goes. I would be very interested in hearing your finding.

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #183 of 2,050
Just finished this entire thread. I appreciate everyone's insights here. Looking forward to my rescheduled demo of the Bartok & Rossini later this week. In addition to bringing a couple of sets of "standard" cans [Susvara and MySphere 3.2], my dealer also asked me to bring along my RAAL SR1a and buffer box or amp. I've got the Jotunheim R amp for the SR1a, but I've got serious reservations about its resolving capacity, and I know the buffer box is a SQ bottleneck even when connected to the best of amps. I love the SR1a, and am convinced they could deliver even more depth and detail, but right now, they are not quite a match for the 009S/T2 with both being fed by the MSB Select. So, much as I love the SR1a, I think I am not going to take something that won't be capable of revealing any differences between the two. I am even considering taking a mini Carbon and the 009S; no lack of resolution there. Open to suggestions. TIA!

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #185 of 2,050
009S/T2 sets the bar a little too high for the little $799 Jot R, no? Do you have a super-resolving speaker amp on hand to try the SR1a on?
Yes, as to that high bar I think. I ran the buffer box on my Merrill Veritas monoblocks for a few days for fun, and that was better—though a high quality amp does not solve the buffer box problem; it can only improve it—and for the long term, it’s not a pragmatic solution for my purposes. Until RAAL releases their high end work-in-progress amp, and/or someone releases a superior buffer (both of which are in the works), I genuinely believe we won’t hear what this headphone can really do. My Bay Area dealer has high quality amps that they have offered to put behind the SR1a, but I am still less inclined to try it over the 009S for demo purposes.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #186 of 2,050
I am interested in the Bartok as well, primarily for downsizing / simplifying my digital front end (9 boxes in total with relative cables etc.).

Only, I would regret going that route if sound quality get worse ...

Any direct comparison between Bartok and M Scaled DAVE would be highly appreciated!

P.s. I am visiting a dealer around Christmas to audition the Bartok myself, I will bring my Abyss with me, but I cannot bring all my digital spaghetti system there so a proper a/b will not be possible. I will report back here nonetheless

If possible, I'd be very curious to know your impressions from the audition of the Bartok! How does it perform against your DAVE + Scaler?

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #187 of 2,050
If possible, I'd be very curious to know your impressions from the audition of the Bartok! How does it perform against your DAVE + Scaler?

I liked the Bartok, and I could make sure it drives the AB-1266 as well as the DAVE (i.e. 80-90% of their max).

Tonality was a tad darker / fuller and detail retrieval / resolution slightly behind my uber - tweaked Chord front end.
Also, I was not able to reproduce with the Bartok the magical sense of depth and ambience / venue characterization the M-Dave is able to project in my setup.

All in all I ended my session with the feeling that I could live very happily with the Bartok of course, but absolute sound performance likely would not be better than where I am now.

I am still attracted by the prospect of simplifying my chain and could even accept some minor trade-off in some aspects of the sound presentation. Hence, the audition at the shop made me wanting to try an extended test at home when I find the time for it, for a proper A / B comparison (same server, power conditioning, cables etc. + the necessary brain burn-in to adapt to the different sound).

After that, I would need to check the trade-in deal the shop could offer.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #188 of 2,050
I liked the Bartok, and I could make sure it drives the AB-1266 as well as the DAVE (i.e. 80-90% of their max).

Tonality was a tad darker / fuller and detail retrieval / resolution slightly behind my uber - tweaked Chord front end.
Also, I was not able to reproduce with the Bartok the magical sense of depth and ambience / venue characterization the M-Dave is able to project in my setup.

All in all I ended my session with the feeling that I could live very happily with the Bartok of course, but absolute sound performance likely would not be better than where I am now.

I am still attracted by the prospect of simplifying my chain and could even accept some minor trade-off in some aspects of the sound presentation. Hence, the audition at the shop made me wanting to try an extended test at home when I find the time for it, for a proper A / B comparison (same server, power conditioning, cables etc. + the necessary brain burn-in to adapt to the different sound).

After that, I would need to check the trade-in deal the shop could offer.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Streamlining the chain is indeed a big plus, although that would also write-off a big part of the fun in this crazy hobby/passion of ours... :)

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #190 of 2,050
I heard the Bartok at Can-Jam last year on the Abyss TC, directly after hearing the WA33 and TC. The Bartok sounded flat and strained to my ears, not really pushing the Abyss. It made them quite low end TBH.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #191 of 2,050
I heard the Bartok at Can-Jam last year on the Abyss TC, directly after hearing the WA33 and TC. The Bartok sounded flat and strained to my ears, not really pushing the Abyss. It made them quite low end TBH.
Interesting. Can't speak to the Abyss experience, but that sure wasn't my impression demoing yesterday with the Hifiman Susvara. I am penning some notes from yesterday with both the Bartok, Rossini, and Clock, which I plan to post shortly. I was impressed.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #192 of 2,050
Interesting. Can't speak to the Abyss experience, but that sure wasn't my impression demoing yesterday with the Hifiman Susvara. I am penning some notes from yesterday with both the Bartok, Rossini, and Clock, which I plan to post shortly. I was impressed.

please post

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #193 of 2,050
Thank you for sharing this. I was always curious myself. I always found the interaction amongst members of this community sharing their findings such a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #195 of 2,050
Also heard the Abyss and Susvara at the Bartok booth during the HighEnd in Munich last year and none could give me an emotional response despite the fact that the Susvara sounded terrific at the Hifiman booth and elsewhere.
Was properly shocked when I saw the price, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back