dCS Bartok
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #136 of 2,027
Updating the firmware on the bartok took 3 tries but worked.
The mosaic app can be a bit fickle at times.

Can anyone confirm if the performance of streaming is better on the bartok when connected directly to wifi via ethernet vs. roon nucleus via usb?

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #137 of 2,027
Where have people been getting these in the USA? I am in the NY area.
Obviously a demo is mandatory. I currently use my Linn Klimax DS Katalyst (in my 2 channel Naim system) as a digital source with a headphone amplifier. Thinking of a stand alone ROON capable unit such as this. I can't imagine any online places are carrying this as well.

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #139 of 2,027
I heard and bought mine at Lyric on Lexington Ave between 82/83. Highly recommend that you go in there to hear it. I am working with Scott who I’ve known for a decade. Still working on cables etc.

They have very high resolution gear for the audition. Great electronics and well set up rooms. I was able to audition the Bartok with different pre-amp/amp combinations over two sessions with Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, Alexia and Alex etc.

When I heard the dcs Bartok and had no idea that I was in the market for a dac at all. I was was shopping for a pre-amp (bought an ARC pre-amp) but could not resist the Bartok. It sounds that good.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #140 of 2,027
Thanks for the info re Lyric. The Bartok will be used strictly for a headphone system. I am set with a high end DAC - Linn Klimax DS - and two channel - Naim.

For a demo something simple like a ROON Nucleus with Ethernet into the Bartok is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Although I strictly believe in demoing for one’s self I have to admit reviews of the Bartok have been a little all over the board. Stereophile puts it up against the Mytek Brooklyn and comes to an ambiguous conclusion. Hi-Fi+ in the UK gave it a good review but did not seem to be overly enthused. A previous review in the same magazine of my Linn said it was one of the best ever heard. A review on Audiophile style was highly complimentary vs. a Chord setup.

I will have to get a Bartok demo - and I plan on revisiting the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge again (I was very impressed last Canjam at the Headamp booth). For my needs it can do the same thing at 1/5 the cost. I also need to factor in the Sony WM1Z which I also have as that is also quite formidable.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #142 of 2,027
Thanks for the info re Lyric. The Bartok will be used strictly for a headphone system. I am set with a high end DAC - Linn Klimax DS - and two channel - Naim.

For a demo something simple like a ROON Nucleus with Ethernet into the Bartok is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Although I strictly believe in demoing for one’s self I have to admit reviews of the Bartok have been a little all over the board. Stereophile puts it up against the Mytek Brooklyn and comes to an ambiguous conclusion. Hi-Fi+ in the UK gave it a good review but did not seem to be overly enthused. A previous review in the same magazine of my Linn said it was one of the best ever heard. A review on Audiophile style was highly complimentary vs. a Chord setup.

I will have to get a Bartok demo - and I plan on revisiting the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge again (I was very impressed last Canjam at the Headamp booth). For my needs it can do the same thing at 1/5 the cost. I also need to factor in the Sony WM1Z which I also have as that is also quite formidable.
They have the roon nucleus at Lyric set up. No reason why you can’t demo there. They also have great headphones.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #143 of 2,027
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #145 of 2,027
Right now, in my dedicated listening room, I have a HeadAmp GSM Mini and a Mjolinir Carbon connected to my Naim 552 preamp. This allows me to listen to headphones fronted by the Linn DS and LP12.

I want a small bedroom system which will allow ROON listening via Utopia/Z1R.
In this case something like a Bartok, Brooklyn Bridge, or even my WM1Z (functioning as a DAC fed by iPhone as ROON endpoint..

I currently own the WM1Z option - just a bit wonky with the cables (Apple CCK, USB cable)

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #147 of 2,027
Yes, the Bartok is a great one-box solution (particularly with Roon, Nucleus and an iPad) but keep in mind that it is big and heavy:
  • Dimensions
    444mm / 17.5” x 430mm / 17.0” x 115mm / 4.6“. Allow extra depth for cable connectors.

• Weight
    16.7kg / 36.8lbs

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #148 of 2,027
My Bartok will be here Thursday. I was luck the dealer called John on Saturday and they had one black unit in stock without the headphone stage which is what I was looking for. I had to sell my Abyss and TT2 to afford the upgrade but it I am happy to have one on the way. For now I will just make due with my focal clears.

By the way we are apparently not allowed to compare the Bartok to the TT2 or Dave. I posted about a comparison on the TT2 thread and answered some replys. Rob Watts did not seem too happy.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #149 of 2,027
I admire your courage, karma! I agree with you, we should be able to post our impressions freely here, but unfortunately some people take this way too seriously as if their life depends on it. It is a hobby for god sakes. If you don't like it, get another! It is really funny to me how some people want to argue tooth and nail about this stuff...

I met Rob personally at last years nyc canjam... he is a very nice guy, though.

I haven't had the tt2 but had just about everything else chord. I am sure you won't miss your tt2 or dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back