dcg needs a car
Apr 20, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #16 of 21
If you're looking for an AWD sports car you might want to check out one of the "Diamond Star" machines. That's the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser or mine, the Mitsubishi Galant VR-4. The Galant VR-4 is kind of the odd machine of the bunch. Basically it's a four door sedan version of the Eclipse GSX: AWD, 195hp 2.0 turbo and (semi-) four wheel steering that I don't think the GSX had. It was a limited production model that was only made in 91 and 92 so they can be hard to find. That's probably older than you're looking for anyway. Eclipses are still made so you might find something new enough that you can still afford. Click on the link above, it goes to Club DSM. LOTS of general info, maintenence tips and mods for these cars can be found there.

(HBZ)

Apr 20, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 21
This is an easy one:

384850.jpg

3rd generation (94-01) Integra GSR

Why?

1. Reliable (this car loves to be beat up.... show me g-turns and 8000 rpms)
2. Wide variation in price ($7K-$17K... just depends on how new and nice you want it)
3. Fast and fun for a four banger
4. High resale value
5. If you get the upgrade bug there are thousands of performance and cosmetic products for this ride
6. Decent gas mileage

My brother picked up a 94 GSR last year for $7K (100K miles and some minor body scuffs). No problems and he gives it a good pounding.

Apr 20, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #19 of 21
I agree with Jeff, all you need is something to get you from point A to point B 'til you can actually afford to buy a new ride. I certainly wouldn't want to be burdened with heavy monthly payments. Even 24 months is a long time.

jaghouse, what's a rear wing doing on a FWD car? That'll slow it down, lol.

Apr 20, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 21
DCG, some things to consider:

With VW, do not expect the same type of reliability as a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. You simply will not get it (as a former employee of Volkswagen of America, I know what I speak of). Also, when something does break, it will be more expensive to fix. The 1.8 Turbo models are a lot of fun (I have a Beetle GLX), and you can "chip" them up to 225 HP for around $900 installed (basically turns it into an Audi TT).

The Passat V6 is nice to drive, esp. with a manual. This car is basically an Audi A6 with a $10K discount, same engine, transmission, very similar platforms. I would lean to this over a Jetta since their resales are very similar and the Passat is a much more substantial vehicle. One problem I have with it though is visibility; I have a hard time seeing out the back due to the blind spots created by the C-pillars

Another thing with VW you need to consider is the warranty coverage; a used one will have the 2/24K bumper to bumper and a 10/100K powertrain. However, the powertrain is only good for the original owner (or immediate family member). The second owner gets reduced to 5/60K on powertrain.

For Asian models, I don't think you want a Toyota; simply put, they are boring to drive (with exception of Celica GTS). A Solara with a V6 is nice to drive, not particularly sporty, but good power and actually looks good and has a usable back seat. You should be able to find a 1999 or 2000 easily within your price range.

I don't really care for Hondas; they don't break but are very appliance-like to me. No low end power on the Civics, esp. with an automatic (Hondas do have great manuals, though). The Accord V6 would be great if you could get with a manual, but I would lean to the Solara since the Accord is slushbox only.

Nissan has two models that would be good, the Sentra SpecV-R and the Maxima SE. IMHO, the Maxima SE has been, and remains, one of the best values available in the auto biz. It has gobs of power, is comfortable, has good interior and trunk room, handles wells, and you can run it into the ground and it keeps coming back for more. If you like manual shifting, you will have a much easier time finding a Maxima with 5sp than a Camry/Solara. Again, should be able to find a 1999 or 2000 SE within your price range. Go for the 2000 MY over 1999 MY if you can swing it.

Apr 20, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 21
i suggest a used car ( that you definitley know is in good condition make sure they aren't salvaged!!!) or keep your old clunker until you pay off those student loans or something. (just something to get by until you get yourself a good car).
getting hooked up is possibly another way of getting it cheaper.

me?

i bought an old used Honda Prelude.

88' 3rd generation
2.0s 5sp 4 cylinder.
cost: $400

i had to replace windshield (it was cracked)
the timing belts,
tossed the aluminum alloy rims and low profile tires
new brakes
just some low lavel maintenance, its not like i needed to rebiuld the engine or needed a new transimission.
had to replaced the hose to the heatercore (it actually cracked and steamed out half of the radiator fliud!)

going to get a radiator flush soon.

so the total cost of my car i have no idea: like 2-3 grand at most? my dad is a mechanic so he handled it all. (lucky me eh!)

i can only attest to the durability of this car.

i rear ended a toyota 4 runner (SUV) at 35-40 mph and it put a square hole the size of my fist into my bumper and the left side of my bumper popped out of its socket. I'm still alive (but the guys trailer hitch got bent up otherwise not a scratch on his 4runner, my car's been lowered otherwise his bumper might have had some damage)

and guess what its still running fine! just had to break in the engine for a week.

i still love my car, no way would i give it up for new civic!

stick shift is where all the fun is. shoot it will jack up those civic ricers (with automatic transmissions) who only have exhaust and intakes. (my friend has one that's y, i can't say for other ppl who drive riced up cars)
don't underestimate this light car.

jap cars are reliable only as long as you take car of it > oil change every 3k miles ever more often as your car get older.

have to get mine around every 1.5-2k.

oh by the way did i mention i have 217,xxx miles on that car?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back