1. Theta Data 3 CDT
  2. Schiit Yggdrasil
  3. HeadAmp BHSE
  4. Eddie Current Black Widow mk. 2
  5. Stax SR-007A w/ Spritzer mod
  6. HD 800 stock
  7. LCD-2 pre-fazor
  8. Stax SR-404

I have a selection of CDs that will show up, but feel free to bring/burn your own. Yggy input will also be available for USB, TOSLINK, and RACA and BNC S/PDIF. AES will be used by the Theta Data.

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 25
Running a bit late. I was thinking I'd hook the Pavane up to a laptop and leave it open for anyone to try with their amp, or they can use the MicroZOTL2, which will be also using a Wavelength Brick V2 DAC.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 25
  My full gear list -

Ha!

You must have beat me by a day - I got the next serial number for Black Widow.

Do we need an impressions thread? Or can we simply conclude that everything was impressive - wink wink, nudge nudge to @gandhisfist and @Barry S

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #19 of 25
@sheldaze Everything was impressive.

Modi 2U 4490 fixed the slightly thin sound of the 4396 at the expense of being slightly v-shaped. It's cleaner, wider, and more detailed too so I guess it's just better. I liked it more than the Bifrost 4490 too but I would need to compare it to the Bimby someday.

The Yggdrasil warmed for for only an hour was impressive in resolution but not in staging. I was surprised that some basement recordings that should be worse have less problems than many professional ones (less out of phase and no tape problems)

The Eddie Current Black Widow was the star though. It's my new favorite solid state head amp after the Asgard 2. Third might be the Sennheiser HDVA 600 but that's too warm imo.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 25
It was a good meet. Quite the wide variety of equipment too. However, an unfortunate tube malfunction knocked the right channel of the BHSE out of commission. That was both a curse and a blessing - a blessing mainly to my wallet as I'm sure I'd be tempted to buy ever more equipment to fuel this obsession... er, I mean, hobby.

My favorite ended up being the Simaudio Moon 230HAD. I thought it sounded much like its bigger brother, the 430HAD, in single-ended mode. Nice flow and ease to the way it presented the music. I'm not too enamored with the onboard DAC - a bit too bright for my taste - but it can always be bypassed if necessary.

I listened to the Black Widow with one of my usual test tracks, "I'm Old Fashioned" from Blue Train, and it got my toes tapping. The Widow seemed to disappear from the playback chain such that it's hard to quantify its sound. I hope I get some more ear time on that one.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the Metrum Pavane. It sounded fleshy in the way that a tubed DAC might with a flow to the presentation that's not unlike the Moon 230HAD. It was charming and smooth and I could certainly understand its appeal. I thought that cymbal strikes sounded 'off' somehow though - brassiness / clarity seemed to be somewhat masked - but I didn't have time to do a real A/B with my QB-9.

All in all I had a great time and I hope to see some of you at the CAF in two weeks!

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #21 of 25
I used my surface pro 2 which contains most music I listen to everyday to a/b test Ygg and Pavane. Even though I know ygg has to warm up for 1week, it is clear that ygg is still far from the level that Pavane presents. This is the first time I listen to Pavane, but this is the second dac which I almost do not walk away the moment I listen to it (the first one was prism da2). The sound from pavane presents authenticity. It is ultimate NEUTRAL presenting a full-fledged sound with TRANSIENT RESPONSE, which makes me no long differentiate treble, bass, mid-- it drives me into the music as a whole piece of art. I think it is because they implements the chip featuring most accurate R2R NOS, which makes ultimate clarity and extreme full-fledged detail creating an experience between not particularly noticeable and pleasantly memorable. It makes the sound instantly familiar but adds more detail to it which most time you may unperceived even from live. I will realize this particularly when the instrument signature is ending and the Pavane is still extending the sound signature with fleshy detail, while other dacs at this time basically cannot hear detail anymore. The effect is a 3 dimensional sound image created with fleshy bones and blood, it is extremely euphoric and authentic. 

Plus this is also one of few dacs which can drive hd800 to its full potential. No more empty sound stage, no more cold, distant sound signature! It is so euphoric that  much more sound detail takes advantage of the huge hd800 sound stage.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 25
@smitty1110 @yage @smitty1110 @gandhisfist and @Barry S. Hi all DC audiophiles,do your guys have have extra idle amp with cords I can borrow to test my Metrum Pavane for one month?  I sold my mytek 192 and spl  monitor 2 just for Pavane, and yesterday I just received the Pavane after 1 month waiting, and I am currently waiting for DNA Status  2a3 amp which will be  delivered in the mid of Sept. Unfortunately I do not any amp to drive right now and  I really want to test my Pavane as soon as possible. BTW, really thanks for @sheldaze 's help since he can offer his idle Vali and Magni to me, but we both agree that I might not hear much from the Pavane if I borrowed the amp too low. So in this case, I am looking forward to your help. 

PS: I am living in Gaithersburg MD, I can drop by to pick it up during this long weekend.

Thanks for all your guys.

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 25
Originally Posted by wtnwin111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... do your guys have have extra idle amp with cords I can borrow to test my Metrum Pavane for one month?

I do not have a spare amp, but my suggestion would be to throw more money at the problem and find a fully balanced amp since the Pavane seems to be a fully balanced design.

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 25
@wtnwin111
I will probably have a Magni 2U for sale at the Capital Audio Fest in Rockville for somewhere around $100 if you need a cheap and good amp. I am upgrading to the Asgard 2 and if I like it more than the Magni 2U, you can buy it from me. Nothing included but what came with it (the AC adapter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back