DC area meet - Sunday, June 26, 5pm - 9pm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2016 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sheldaze

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings DC/VA/MD area Head-Fi members!

This is a call to come on out, bring some phones! Bring some amplifiers and DACs! Meet and greet some of the other local members. And hear some good tunes! And it's all free!

I post this tentatively at the moment, simply pending Arlington County library approval. But I figured it is best to post, to give people at least a little heads up. Also note, the room has a capacity for 35 people. So we needn't be stacked on top of one another. So definitely come on down. This is not a space-limited meet.

I am on a Todd the Vinyl Junkie tour for a great piece of solid state equipment, the Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD. We had a recent meet where @yage brought a Moon NEO 430HAD, a balanced piece of audio wizardry, also from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. This is the single-ended little brother of that beast. I think is will arrive in time for the meet.

Otherwise, I do have some other items of interest 
wink.gif

Basic rules we follow are as follows:

Meet Rules

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.

Location - Central Library: http://library.arlingtonva.us/locations/central-library/
Room - Central, 2nd Floor: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arlib/4008744095/in/album-72157624550986228/

Hope to see you there!

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm confirmed for this, Will Bring some special gear (Not USB, saving that for a more stable setup, hopefully by CAF), Yggy, ECBW, BHSE, and a small selection of headphones.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm a definite maybe. If I make it, I'll probably bring a HeadAmp GS-1 and the Ayre QB-9 DSD along with my HD 600's and LCD-XC's.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 25
A comparable lineup, I will be bringing the Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD and Ayre Codex, along with HD800S. For grins, I will bring some silver Schiit:

1. Meridian Prime
  2. Schiit Modi 2 Uber (4490)
  3. Schiit Wyrd

@Billheiser I have contacted Grace, and gotten positive response. But no actions have come as yet regarding an m9XX to audition.

I'm bringing Meridian Explorer2, boxed.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 25
Everyone, feel free to bring any CD's you'd like to listen to.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 25
I'll bring, guess what! A MicroZOTL2. But I'll have a couple of interesting DACs.

If anyone is interested in a JVC SZ2000, I've got one I'm trying to send along on its journey, so let me know and I'll bring it for auditioning.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 25
I'm really excited to see the list of equipment showing at this meet!
I'm a little tempted to press the button - Send PM To Group. I hate to see the posts from people later saying, I did not know about this one.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 25
  Damn, wish I could make this but will be traveling the next morning.  These meets always end up being at bad times for me.

Sorry - a lot of the meets have been last-minute, planned around things like the Todd the Vinyl Junkie loaner programs, and other randomness. Hope you can make the Summer meet at the Capital Audio Festival, with a headphone focus on July 10! More details to come on that...

And, I would not want to put words into someone else's mouth - I am hoping for good things to come from Urban HiFi having a more permanent home. Perhaps DC could host more regular events, such as Southern California is doing with their Summer events. Now wouldn't it be nice...

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 25
  Sorry - a lot of the meets have been last-minute, planned around things like the Todd the Vinyl Junkie loaner programs, and other randomness. Hope you can make the Summer meet at the Capital Audio Festival, with a headphone focus on July 10! More details to come on that...

And, I would not want to put words into someone else's mouth - I am hoping for good things to come from LTA having a more permanent home. Perhaps DC could host more regular events, such as Southern California is doing with their Summer events. Now wouldn't it be nice...

We'll see how well we can organize the space to best accommodate the most people for events, because we really want to do events, but if success comes more quickly we may be able to expand upstairs, which is a great space. Maybe. For headphone meets, though, the basement is very spacious, and don't we all spend our time listening to headphones in basements, typing on forums, anyway? (This is actually what I'm doing right now, the current LTA space being in a basement). Currently the upstairs is a music school that just expanded next-door, so maybe we can collaborate on events when they don't have classes. We are very excited to move and find all of this out, and would already be in the moving process if the current tenant wasn't making everything more difficult than it should be. 

But anyway, It's been great having sheldaze and the other enthusiastic people around DC arrange so many meets. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 25
I won't be able to make it on the 26th but I'm looking forward to CAF. Is it definite that the headphone-focused part the event is on the 10th? I'm also looking forward to having a friendly emporium in nearby Takoma Park.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 25
  I won't be able to make it on the 26th but I'm looking forward to CAF. Is it definite that the headphone-focused part the event is on the 10th? I'm also looking forward to having a friendly emporium in nearby Takoma Park.

Hoping @Barry S and @gandhisfist have the more definitive answer.
I plan to just hang out there all weekend, and hope there will be a table to set my stuff on and a receptacle to plug my UPS in - on Sunday 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 25
  Hoping @Barry S and @gandhisfist have the more definitive answer.
I plan to just hang out there all weekend, and hope there will be a table to set my stuff on and a receptacle to plug my UPS in - on Sunday 
biggrin.gif

Good plan.

I sent an email to Schiit encouraging them to be there, but I'm not hopeful. I did tell them that if they were there I'd buy a Yggdrasil on the spot 
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 25
@sheldaze what time should we meet in the lib?  I did not receive any pm for this meeting, is there a way I can get the info about newest meeting? BTW, I am really looking forward to listening to ygg,  I cancel my thought on Hugo TT, instead, I bought a Pavane (in shipping now). I really wish I got a chance to completely comparing Pavane with Ygg in future. Tomorrow I will bring my 08mp dap to compare your mojo. Based on my last impression, I think 08mp has better amp than mojo while mojo's dac is much better than 08mp, both are better than sony pha-3. Lastly I really would like to your comparison btw your hek and your hd800s. And your impression matters since I probably would like to buy a used one but I do not know if it is worthy of 2000 usd. Based on my last impression on hek, it is much more euphoric than hd800, but hd800 does not lose in detail. I know hek definitely can not overall compete with stx 009 (I never listen to it before) but last time it is such refreshment compared with hd800s.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 25
@wtnwin111 you can show up anytime. There is a group in the same room just before our meet, so we may not be able to get in until the actual start time - could be a lot of setup going on there at the start.

Well, for most of us 
wink_face.gif

Some people just bring a box  - you know who you are!

::

Best way to keep track of upcoming meets is to subscribe to this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/809537/dc-area-head-fi-meet-announcement-thread

I'm bringing a lot of stuff to this meet, but Mojo and HEK weren't in my plans. I'll bring HEK to the Summer meet, likely have it plugged into MicroZOTL2 at the start. And I can bring a Mojo then, though Gumby will be my star DAC at the Summer meet. BTW, it is July 10, AFIK - yes, in two weeks!

On the good side, both your DACs will be at the meet today. You can focus on trying to listen to those. I suspect once you upgrade to the level of DAC you are subscribing to, the Mojo will be a distant memory. It is warm in the sense that is glosses over those details that the higher priced DACs include. Though I quite like Mojo and Hugo, they have become secondary to me relative to the Metrum and Schiit DACs - for a different reason, though I do not want to put thoughts into your head. Just come on down and give each a listen. I would have liked to have heard your Hugo TT, but I understand the decision, and think it was the wise one. Listen to the Metrum today, and post what you hear.

Majority of my setup today will be my solid states (with one borrowed):

1. Ayre Codex
  2. Meridian Prime
  3. Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD

And the headphone will be HD800S - not my favorite, but the easiest on which to hear fine detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back