DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Sunday, October 16, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #97 of 197
Add that to the list of things you've acquired that I want to try. Very interested to hear your comparison of it to the Moon Neo 230HAD. Did you get the DAC as well? Curious to see how it compares when using another DAC as a source.

Three weeks later, I'm ready to answer that!

Everything that follows is, of course, my opinion...

::

Jodie responds well to headphones which require a significant push to get going. Think HE-1000 and HD650, and somewhat the HD800S. The HD800S requires some power combined with a special touch, to my ears. Having a lot of power does not address the full set of HD800S issues.

Jodie is not responding well to my easy headphones, my Grado and Fostex. It does have enough volume control, unlike the Black Widow, which was at the bottom of the usable volume range on Grado and below that range, into the left/right imbalance of volume, on Fostex. Black Widow also did something to the bass, which is already supersized on the Fostex, that I disliked. Jodie does not do this. But the treble sounds recessed on the Fostex. This is in contrast to the HE-1000 and HD650, where the treble sounds almost on edge, being louder than I am used to hearing. This is more a focus on the Fostex sound, where the treble was recessed, such that the headphone sounded dark with bass. It is a relaxed headphone, but...

In contrast, DNA Sonett 2 and Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD have no issues with the Grado and Fostex. In fact, I could happily use the Moon and Fostex all day long (other than the small ear cups, which require an occasional break) and be done with my headphone quest. On Moon, the Fostex sounds plenty meaty, as it should, but also has plenty of available treble energy and detail. It is just, for me, the perfect balanced sound. I am however listening to the DNA as I type this. And I'm having zero issues with the Fostex on it too.

::

BTW, I used the unbalanced outputs on the Jodie in low gain for the HD650, and the balanced outputs in high gain for the HE1K. I have Yggy connected to it balanced and Mimby connected to it unbalanced, playing from the same digital source. In short, what I'm trying to say is I do not believe this is a balanced/unbalanced source/output issue. I tried headphones all ways of inputs and outputs without issue.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #98 of 197
My this thread is quiet...is the meet going to be this quiet?

Just posting for @Barry S that there's yet another Sonett 2 up for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/t/821277/dna-sonett-2-near-mint-first-owner

I think this amplifier is calling him 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #99 of 197
  My this thread is quiet...is the meet going to be this quiet?

Better for critical listening that way :p

Fortunately/unfortunately the fall meet is usually not very quiet and also quite busy.  I would like to ask anyone thats planning to attend that hasn't already posted in this thread to post.  I would like to show how large interest in this and other meets in the area is as a way of attracting vendor attention.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #100 of 197
Sep 26, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #101 of 197
Jodie is not responding well to my easy headphones, my Grado and Fostex. It does have enough volume control, unlike the Black Widow, which was at the bottom of the usable volume range on Grado and below that range, into the left/right imbalance of volume, on Fostex. Black Widow also did something to the bass, which is already supersized on the Fostex, that I disliked. Jodie does not do this. But the treble sounds recessed on the Fostex. This is in contrast to the HE-1000 and HD650, where the treble sounds almost on edge, being louder than I am used to hearing. This is more a focus on the Fostex sound, where the treble was recessed, such that the headphone sounded dark with bass. It is a relaxed headphone, but...

In contrast, DNA Sonett 2 and Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD have no issues with the Grado and Fostex. In fact, I could happily use the Moon and Fostex all day long (other than the small ear cups, which require an occasional break) and be done with my headphone quest. On Moon, the Fostex sounds plenty meaty, as it should, but also has plenty of available treble energy and detail. It is just, for me, the perfect balanced sound. I am however listening to the DNA as I type this. And I'm having zero issues with the Fostex on it too.

I haven't heard the Jotie yet, but I can reinforce one of your points - that Moon NEO 230HAD is a super combo with the TH-X00. It's the combination that I am enjoying most these days.

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #102 of 197
Haha--it's calling, but I'm not sure I'm answering right now. Wonder how well the Sonett 2 handles the Utopia?

That amplifier is sold.

However LCD-X is comparatively hard to drive, and you heard how it sounded on the Sonett 2. More specifically, it takes 0.069 Vrms and 0.22 mW of power to drive the LCD-X to 90dB. The EL-8 open are easier to drive, requiring 0.068 Vrms and 0.14 mW. But switching between EL-8 open and Utopia, the Utopia is even easier (louder). Volume goes up to 10 on the DNA, and I'm at 2 - in low gain.

And volume just went up to 5. Love this song:

Sep 28, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #103 of 197

Haha--it's calling, but I'm not sure I'm answering right now. Wonder how well the Sonett 2 handles the Utopia?

The Sonett 2 should do just fine on the Utopia with sensitivity of 104 dB / mW + 80 ohm impedance. No sweat. Can't wait to listen to the Elear.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #104 of 197
Two weeks out, thought I ought to post an updated list of what I plan to bring:

Headphones:
Audeze EL-8
Audeze EL-8C
Focal Utopia
Fostex TH-X00 PurpleHeart
HiFiMan HE-6 (modded)
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD800S

Amplifiers
Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
Chord Mojo
DNA Sonett 2
Schiit Jotunheim
Simaudio Moon NEO 230HAD

Sources
Chord Mojo
Schiit Yggdrasil

I'll be using Tidal as the music source. The two Audeze will be connected to the Mojo. Other than the HE-6, the other headphones can be swapped between the three amplifiers.

I was thinking to optionally bring my Modi Multibit, but only if there is interest to A-B it and the Yggdrasil (the setup just takes longer to source 3 DACs versus the two I am planning, involving some cabling I have yet to try). It is surprising how much of the Moffat magic is in the Mimby compared to the Yggy, but I currently plan to leave this for a future meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back