DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016 -- Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #316 of 338
As far as headphones go, I'm bringing those that are collecting dust, and will probably eventually go for sale 
tongue.gif

1. AKG K7XX
  2. Grado SR325is
  3. HiFiMan HE-400i
  4. Sennheiser HD650
  5. Sennheiser HD800

It's still a variety, I think - and I'm loving HD800 directly from the new DAC (it has analog and headphone outputs, just like the Mojo, but with both balanced and single-ended outs). So I'm bringing balanced cables, in case anyone wants to hear a headphone directly from the DAC bypassing the external amplifier setup.

May 7, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #317 of 338
Hope to see you all in a few!
Though I think this is a more veteran crew, please don't forget meet rules:

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Please don't unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Please don't turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Please don't move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling others' equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.

Now time to pack all the shiny stuff...

May 7, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #318 of 338
May 7, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #319 of 338
Wish I could make it. Arlington is a bit too far from me but you guys have fun! See you in the next one

May 7, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #320 of 338
Gonna miss this one....post some great impressions and photos.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sabre and Solid State are not bad words. Though I'm not about to give up R2R or tubes anytime soon 
biggrin.gif

Woo Audio may know what they're doing, but they're not telling anybody. We tried, I think, options 1, 3, 5 and 6 of the 10 possible tube options we had available today with the WA7 and WA7tp or solid state linear power supply. Which option was it we liked the most?

I personally focussed on only a couple of things. I was really appreciative of having other people's ears to hear things I've heard - to suss out if I'm imagining or truly hearing the deltas between setups. Truly helpful! Thanks guys!

Felt to me like a good, small constructive meet. Other than being very last minute to reserve, was wondering if people prefer creating a new thread to make a bigger announcement for these things? The room seems to be capable to hold quite a few more people, for next time we try this venue.

May 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #321 of 338

@sheldaze, thank you for arranging this meet! It's cool that we have been able to do meets pretty frequently.   I would guess we are one of the most active "chapters".

Agree this was a "good, small constructive meet".  I appreciate the use of the Audeze Deckard today, I liked it a lot with the 2 cans I tried with it. 

One of these days I'll get a listen to @TimeLord's Woo; my timing was off for plugging in today.

As a practical matter, it's probably time for us to make a new thread for the next meet.  And link to it from here, naturally.

May 7, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #322 of 338
I echo both @sheldaze and @Billheiser's sentiments. It was a great mini-meet for me.

Standouts for me, @willsw's Stax SR-Lamda, which are pushing 40 years, and are standing up to the test of time.

@sheldaze and @gandhisfist demonstrated the true potential of the Sabre DAC (Ayre Codex and Audio-gd NFB-27H, respectively) and how they can make the HD800 truly sing.

As for the WA7, the tube amplification does indeed make a substantial improvement to the SQ. And for the record, the winning combination was WA7 with Electro Harmonix w/ gold pins and WA7tp with Electro Harmonix 12AU7.

Thanks everyone and per usual, those in attendance brought great gear and are contributing to my soon to be homeless status.
gs1000.gif

May 8, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #323 of 338
Impressions go here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/807481/dc-area-head-fi-minimeet-impressions-05-07-2016

Created a thread based on discussion that was happening here.  I will hopefully post my thoughts on some of the gear I tried today soon.

May 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #324 of 338
May 11, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #325 of 338
got confirmation that I'm one of the first 10 for the Eddie Current Black Widow mk2, so I should be getting that in the next few weeks. I really need to make sure to go to the next meet, the list of gear I want to demo to everyone is getting a bit long.

May 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #326 of 338
Maybe Bill can get that room again, out in Chantilly?
Though we may need crowd control, in riot gear, if you bring even half your stuff 
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #328 of 338

Gaaak!  Beautiful, but no way can I swing $2700 at the moment. My daughter decided to stay at school over the summer to take an (unpaid) internship, so there goes $3000 in rent. I'm thinking of selling the Yggy/Rag for something smaller/lighter/cheaper.

eek.gif

May 11, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #330 of 338

Having a bit of an existential quandry. Maybe I should trade everything for a MicroZOTL2 and an HD800S? The Yggy has messed up my brain--things are going to sound weird/bad if I switch DACs and keep the LCD-X's. Maybe I can reset my brain by swapping everything out?

Really not sure what to make of that! You being without LCD-X and Rag is like Bogie being without Bacall. It just isn't right!
There's some neat stuff you should try, if you're going smallish. But I know you tried and disliked Hugo. Perhaps timing will be such that we can plan a meet around the Simaudio series.

I'm just at a loss for words here 
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back