DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016 -- Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #271 of 338
I could not audition my place the weekend before, because it was being used - this past weekend, I was busy with family plans.

Availability is a non-issue. The issue I want to hear how quiet the room is on a typical Saturday when I would ask to reserve the room. Thus my plan would not happen until last weekend in May or first weekend in June (30 days from when I can check this coming Saturday).

If anyone has something in mind, please do it!

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #272 of 338
Apr 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #274 of 338

Oh my, thats quite a fancy signal reclocker.

I'm planning on using it to convert to AES, which is apparently superior to USB through a Yggy.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #275 of 338
I suppose you don't want to hear the Gustard then?

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #276 of 338
I don't want to brag or take away from gandhisfist's new equipment, but I'm seriously considering an Audioquest Jitterbug!

On a more serious note concerning schneller, I hope you're continuing to progress in your recovery.  I have some biking friends who live near the Capitol and they seem to have close calls on a weekly basis.  Smart move wearing the helmet.  

As a DC Head-Fi newbie I don't believe we've met yet, but I look forward to seeing you 100% healthy at a future meet.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #277 of 338
  I don't want to brag or take away from gandhisfist's new equipment, but I'm seriously considering an Audioquest Jitterbug!

On a more serious note concerning schneller, I hope you're continuing to progress in your recovery.  I have some biking friends who live near the Capitol and they seem to have close calls on a weekly basis.  Smart move wearing the helmet.  

As a DC Head-Fi newbie I don't believe we've met yet, but I look forward to seeing you 100% healthy at a future meet.

Quite an open forum - does not take away.
Ping @yage. I own it too, but dislike the sonic changes. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #278 of 338
I wrote a small review about the JitterBug on Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-filter/reviews/14330

TL;DR - if your DAC is entirely powered over USB (e.g. AudioQuest DragonFly, Meridian Explorer 2), then I think it's worth trying.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #279 of 338

Not at all.  What are you intending to use it with?

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #280 of 338
Just to clarify, I mentioned my potential Jitterbug as an amusing(?) counterpoint to the amazing equipment that you're getting.  I enjoy researching your and the rest of the gang's new items.  Also look forward to your thoughts after you've spent some time with them.  

That aside, I'm thinking of using the Jitterbug with the new Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC.  My local shop is expecting the Reds in the next few days.  I discussed the Jitterbug with yage at the last meet and he felt that it was a worthwhile addition when used with a USB powered DAC.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #281 of 338
Nice writeup, gandhisfist. To fill in the blanks in the ZMF portion, we switched from lambskin to cowhide, and the wood is Wenge. I'm not sure if it was just that recording you chose that I also listened to, which was very static-y, or if it was the interaction of the NOS DAC-19 with your amp, which I imagine has been tuned specifically for the the DAC it shares a housing with, but I've been listening to the NOS DAC-19 all day through the optical input from my Macbook, via Klipsch bookshelf speakers, and then for a couple hours via optical and then USB with headphones (at first Jriver was being annoying with USB and I didn't feel like restarting, so I just used optical until I did restart and things worked fine), and I haven't gotten noise that I haven't expected - feeling very vigilant and choosing recordings that I know will have quiet moments. Or maybe I'm just used to the Metrum Musette and it's also a revealing NOS DAC. 

Also, well wishes to schneller. I'm very familiar with how awful the L St. and M St. bike lanes can be. Just yesterday a friend of mine was hit while in a different bike lane. Everyone is terrible at moving around! When moving around, watch everyone! 

In better news, Urban HiFi has almost certainly secured a storefront in Takoma Park! In a few months, a new audio store will be in the DC area, and we'll be selling much more than what's on the website. Once we get all set up, we should have room for meets as well, though I haven't yet seen the interior of the space. This seems like the most relevant place to post it, so when we know 100% I'll update. 

So many bike accident stories! Sorry about your friend.

Congrats on your new store. When can you host a meet there?

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #282 of 338
When can you host a meet there?

Inspection was done today. I think there're a few more days of inspection related things, and then thirty days for the building owner to clear things out, and then we have to build the space up to what we need, and move in. Probably it'll meet-hostable before it's open as a retail store, but I don't have more of a timeline than "between 2 and 3 months." Not before the CAF meet, unfortunately.

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #283 of 338
Great that this thread has been so active. Question. Does anyone have experience with Forza or Norne cables?

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #284 of 338
  Great that this thread has been so active. Question. Does anyone have experience with Forza or Norne cables?

I ordered my Norne cable back on January 25 - little 'bit of a backlog, which I have been reading about in the threads, due to a sale late last year. I'll let you know how they sound when they arrive.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #285 of 338
I see we're beating the old veil horse again 
deadhorse.gif
.  I suppose that means you prefer a smoother, somewhat veiled sound in your SS chain?

Got a rude, crude, cold-cold-heart, icicle, Delta-Sigma, Sabre DAC, so we don't have to share RCA cables at the next meet 
wink_face.gif

However, I do not have anyplace for the next meet in Maryland. Virginia definitely has better options for meeting places. So I suggest we plan one somewhere in Va. How about next Saturday, from noon to 4pm? I just booked a room with a capacity of 9 - 30 people.

Let me know if you can go:

Saturday, May 7 at Westover Library
12:00pm - 4:00pm

1644 North McKinley Rd
Suite 3
Arlington, Virginia 22205

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back