DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016 -- Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #256 of 338
  Meridian is kind of funny with their specs - not sure that they have any publicly listed, to be honest!

I was rather surprised to hear the amount of bass on HE1K. It stood out strangely - per the reserved sound in the higher registers, I was not expecting there to be bass. It is kind of like a person rolling down the windows on their Bentley to compare their bass with a city person who drives a Civic, equipped with Bazooka in the trunk. It is just not what they do. But to put it in perspective, the amplifier module is 0.9 kg and the power module is 1.6 kg. There are certainly reserves inside the power module. According to Jude, it'll drive the HE-6 or Abyss on a need-to basis.

ph34r.gif

The only thing I could find was the information published in their user manual online:

I'm intrigued by your comment about the bass on the HE-1K.  Looking forward to the next meet so that I can try the Meridian Stack if you still have it and compare it to my source chain.  You're using the Ayre QB-9 DAC that was at the last mini-meet, correct?

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #257 of 338

I'm intrigued by your comment about the bass on the HE-1K.  Looking forward to the next meet so that I can try the Meridian Stack if you still have it and compare it to my source chain.  You're using the Ayre QB-9 DAC that was at the last mini-meet, correct?

Borrowed that one from @yage!

You'll probably want to feed it input from your DAC. It has a DAC built-in, but most likely, you'll find it veiled relative to what you're used to.

This is the last neutral solid state for me. I was actually planning to write some memoirs at this point - only if could find the memoirs section of Head-Fi. Perhaps they'll let me blog about my pursuits of amplifiers, headphones, and sources in the bloggers section?

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #259 of 338
  Borrowed that one from @yage!

You'll probably want to feed it input from your DAC. It has a DAC built-in, but most likely, you'll find it veiled relative to what you're used to.

I see we're beating the old veil horse again 
deadhorse.gif
.  I suppose that means you prefer a smoother, somewhat veiled sound in your SS chain?

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #263 of 338
  Meridian is kind of funny with their specs - not sure that they have any publicly listed, to be honest!

I was rather surprised to hear the amount of bass on HE1K. It stood out strangely - per the reserved sound in the higher registers, I was not expecting there to be bass. It is kind of like a person rolling down the windows on their Bentley to compare their bass with a city person who drives a Civic, equipped with Bazooka in the trunk. It is just not what they do. But to put it in perspective, the amplifier module is 0.9 kg and the power module is 1.6 kg. There are certainly reserves inside the power module. According to Jude, it'll drive the HE-6 or Abyss on a need-to basis.

ph34r.gif

::

An aside, I wonder if Bill will be showing up to the next meet with a brand new Simaudio MOON Neo 230HAD. He seemed quite happy with it!

Yep, I liked it a whole lot.  I did a review of it on the loaner thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/800306/new-loaner-program-moon-neo-230-headphone-amp-and-dac/30   
I don't know if I will buy one, but am tempted.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #264 of 338

I see we're beating the old veil horse again 
deadhorse.gif
.  I suppose that means you prefer a smoother, somewhat veiled sound in your SS chain?

Wow!
A lot of posts here - I'm kind of off again, on again this week. But I thought I'd answer this one...

Nope, best way to run the Meridian Prime is via an external source. Everyone who reviews it says so. It does nicely with my Grado headphones, which are just a little over the edge. They can use either a relaxed DAC or a tube amplifier. But if you want to really hear what the Prime sounds like, you bypass the internal DAC. It has two analog inputs - RCA and 1/8" phono.

So have at it!

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #265 of 338
Are there any firm plans for a meet yet, besides the yearly CAF meet? I've got some goodies and special surprises that I want to bring...

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #267 of 338
For one, I got my surface pro fixed, and it should be working this time, I swear. Still now Black Widow, but there are some cool things from the digital side of things that are trickling in, thought the most important piece of gear has been delayed due to the guy I'm purchasing it from modding it to work with a LPS.

Oh, and the BHSE. That's a thing I can bring now.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #269 of 338
IT's been treating me very well, though I'm on a hard rock kick right now, so it and the 007As are not synergizing well with my music selections. The Stratus is getting a lot more playtime, along with the LCD-2r2s. I've been thinking about trying to demo the L700s, since I've heard a number of good things about them, but at the same time the 009 taunts me.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #270 of 338
  IT's been treating me very well, though I'm on a hard rock kick right now, so it and the 007As are not synergizing well with my music selections. The Stratus is getting a lot more playtime, along with the LCD-2r2s. I've been thinking about trying to demo the L700s, since I've heard a number of good things about them, but at the same time the 009 taunts me.

And what is the fancy unit getting fitted with a linear power supply?  A special DAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back