DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016, 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #46 of 297
  Are we all talking about the same meet 
ph34r.gif

I think messages about this meet from the head-fi boards of parallel universes are leaking in.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #47 of 297
Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a hifi audio store in the DC/VA/MD area -- specifically a store that will let you test out different DAPs. I'm in the market for a DAP to pair with my new (and first) set of CIEMs, but I don't want to spend any significant amount of money without first testing and comparing different models.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #48 of 297
If you haven't noticed already, head-fi gear is notoriously hard to find at brick and mortar stores. Your best bet is high-end audio/video stores, but they usually focus more on two-channel room based systems.

That said, Gramophone's Timonium location carries a fair amount of headphones, dacs, and amps. They would be your best bet for DAPs too. Call first though since I'm not sure of their inventory.

All of this reinforces the importance of meets. Meets are the best opportunity to test equipment that you may be interested in or see stuff you've never even heard of. Good luck.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #49 of 297
Hard to find any stores that allow headphone listening - a shame.  I've been to 2 Virginia "high end" audio dealers and neither of them allow headphone listening.  Ironically, the mass market Best Buy locations that also house a "Magnolia" store inside, have Sennheiser, B&W, and other headphones to listen to (and of course, in the main part of Best Buy there a dozens of areas within a single store that display Beats).Not many hi-end stores have survived the last decade or two, and when they have they usually emphasize home theater and chairs and light dimmers.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #50 of 297
  Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a hifi audio store in the DC/VA/MD area -- specifically a store that will let you test out different DAPs. I'm in the market for a DAP to pair with my new (and first) set of CIEMs, but I don't want to spend any significant amount of money without first testing and comparing different models.

Thanks for your help!

I could bring a FiiO X3 (first generation) if you have any interest in hearing it. What kinds of music are you in to? I do not have a lot loaded onto it. And for this meet I had actually not planned to bring it, but could if it serves a purpose. For portable, I use one of a number of different options:

1. Pono
  2. FiiO X3
  3. Mojo (multiple options here, such as can be fed USB input from iPhone below, or COAX input from FiiO above, or just plain Toslink input from any digital source)
  4. iPhone with CEntrance HiFi-Skyn (a line-level output, and high and low gain headphone output)

I know @gandhisfist has switched to using a DAP to drive his systems, via digital output. I forget though which DAP he uses.
Again, I do not plan to bring things I do not need - but it if would help, just give a holler.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 297
Yep, I use a Shanling M3, it was the cheapest DAP I could find with decent output power specs, output impedance specs and an optical output.  I will definitely bring it to the meet again, however I'll be bringing a pc as well.  Seems that just bringing the DAP last time left my station without a music source most of the time since I was trying other systems with my DAP.  This time I'll have something at my station as well as have my DAP for walking around and testing other gear.  My DAP just takes a microSD card, so if you want to bring your own card full of music, you're welcome to check it out.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #52 of 297
What's the best way to bring music along with me? I'm basically limited to CDs and my iPod (both a roxkboxed classic and an original firmware nano). If possible, I would like to audition the same track on as many different pieces of equipment as possible.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #53 of 297
What's the best way to bring music along with me? I'm basically limited to CDs and my iPod (both a roxkboxed classic and an original firmware nano). If possible, I would like to audition the same track on as many different pieces of equipment as possible.

That's a really good question!

I don't think you'll find a simple answer though - like with your iPod, you might be able to use a line-output - at some stations. But...you'd be severely limiting yourself to just hearing amplifiers. What I mean is I think the DAC in a $2300 Yggdrasil is probably something worth listening to, and not bypassing it with an iPod. But that being said, I'm definitely planning to listen to a couple of the amplifiers using a line-out. So it can be very useful.

Best bet is to mention a couple of songs that you'd like to hear! Perhaps we already have one or two of them? Barry is trying to make a top-5 list of music. And a lot of the listening stations will already have access to a lot of music via Tidal or some other streaming service.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #55 of 297
I'm not sure of table room in this event but I've always brought my tower because its my primary method of listening to things. Only difference now is I have a separate DAC and Amp. Space wise they both sit on top of my tower so its the same. I just use the music from my library with some type of mobile storage device to bring music to different stations.

Definitely a good heads up on DAC drivers though since not everything is plug and play.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #56 of 297
Is there anybody bringing DT990 or Fidelio x2s? I was going to bring the 990s but had to send them back due to malfunctions so I'm stuck with these crappy Q701s and I'm so ready to get rid of these (and the headaches) and get their replacement. 

I know I like the 990s but if somebody else could bring some mid-fi around that prize range for us, poor people who can't afford hi end, that'd be really cool and I'd really appreciate it.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #57 of 297
Oi I like my Q's lol. Never had the headache issues

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #58 of 297
Oi I like my Q's lol. Never had the headache issues

I agree - kinda miss many elements of my Q701 headphones. I had to get the K7XX.

Is there anybody bringing DT990 or Fidelio x2s? I was going to bring the 990s but had to send them back due to malfunctions so I'm stuck with these crappy Q701s and I'm so ready to get rid of these (and the headaches) and get their replacement. 

I know I like the 990s but if somebody else could bring some mid-fi around that prize range for us, poor people who can't afford hi end, that'd be really cool and I'd really appreciate it.

Speaking of, that was rather my point to bringing my pile of silver Schiit. I sold my TH-X00, but I still have 4 headphones in the mid-price ($100 - $400) ranges so you can hear what stuff sounds like on less than TOTL products:

1. Grado SR60i ($79 for the current SR60e)
  2. AKG K7XX ($199)
  3. HiFiMan HE400i ($299)
  4. Sennheiser HD650 (old model - street price around $399 new and $299 used)

And there will generally be people with HD600, HD650 (the new model - with new haze removal technology), and TH-X00. I know @Billheiser did have Fidelio at one point...

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #59 of 297
I haven't made it to the last few of these, so I'm definitely going to try to make this one.

Quote:

I have X2s, and I'll definitely bring them if I can make it.

Gear for those interested:

Senn HD598
Fidelio X2
Modi
Vali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back