DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016, 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #76 of 297
  Yes.  There is an alarming lack of women at meets - she will be treated with awe and respect.

I read this quote to my girlfriend - I did not get a good read on if she felt genuinely welcomed, or scared 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #77 of 297
  It's a pretty quiet neighborhood. Anything with a diesel motor gets noticed, particularly at that time of night.

I was sitting in my sunroom, working - heard him first drive up the street. I promptly re-opened my kitchen blinds to let out some light, and watched for him to return back down the street. This was 9pm. I waited about 5 minutes, before returning to my work. At 9:30, he drives around the corner - recall that it is quiet and I can hear him. I can also see his lights on the street from my sunroom. I go back to my front door, open it, eager to greet the late weary traveler. I heard his motor running for the 30 seconds and then drive off into the night. Mind you, I normally don't have a car parked in my driveway, but tonight I did. The light in my sunroom still on, the car in my driveway, my front door wide open as he should have seen me had he walked around the corner - in short, there was nothing to indicate that my house was empty. I walked outside to see if he'd just left it at my garage door, though it requires a signature - nope. I came back in and checked the shipping status, which was reported to FedEx that no one was there to receive the package. He'd parked just long enough to change the status.

Wha? That just boggles the mind. Yeah, sometimes I have to get out there with a trident and net if I want to get a package. They always seem to be in a rush. Or maybe they just don't like you.
beyersmile.png

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #78 of 297
I read this quote to my girlfriend - I did not get a good read on if she felt genuinely welcomed, or scared :D

I find that my SO tolerates my hobby, but would rather go to the DMV than come hang out at a meet. Lol

Girlfriends are welcome if for no other reason than it allows their boyfriends to attend the meet. And who knows, she may even enjoy the meet.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #79 of 297
Wha? That just boggles the mind. Yeah, sometimes I have to get out there with a trident and net if I want to get a package. They always seem to be in a rush. Or maybe they just don't like you. :beyersmile:

The last time FedEx Ground was delivering headphones for me, after several "missed connections" I had to go to their facility and pick it up myself. Between them and Lasership it's a tight race to the bottom.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #80 of 297
The last time FedEx Ground was delivering headphones for me, after several "missed connections" I had to go to their facility and pick it up myself. Between them and Lasership it's a tight race to the bottom.

I was actually racing to get home - checked before I left the office. What a treat! To be delivered two days early, and not at their typical 10am or 2pm favorite times! At 9:35pm, I PM'd the guy that I would not be able to receive it until this weekend (explained to him why), and redirected it to the closest FedEx, 30 miles south of where I live.

Talk about your race to the bottom 
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #82 of 297
 And who knows, she may even enjoy the meet.

Odds of that happening would probably be higher if Matt Damon or Ryan Reynolds were in the area and decided to drop in... (well, at least as far as my wife is concerned).

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #84 of 297
  When I mention head-fi meets to my girlfriend--she laughs and laughs, and says--nerds!

@ sheldaze  - A Sonett?

Yep - blue like the shirt.
A great deal though! And today, delivered! To the FedEx store 
mad.gif

I'm tempted to make the long drive tonight, but I'll probably wait until Friday/Saturday. You and @yage have given me the tube bug 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #85 of 297
mad.gif

I'm tempted to make the long drive tonight, but I'll probably wait until Friday/Saturday. You and @yage have given me the tube bug 
tongue.gif

If the Stratus makes an appearance, it'll be a DNA family reunion!

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #86 of 297

Doesn't trust you, eh? I think once she sees what we do, it'll lay her fears to rest. I usually find that hi-fi has the same effect on females as the standard issue glasses in the Army - the BCG's or 'birth control glasses'.

Haha, geez.

Nah, she trusts me. It's more the fact that she can't really talk to me about hi-fi and is happy to see that I'm going to be around people whom I can talk to about things that passionate me.
She's also interested in learning a bit more so she can listen and understand me when I try to explain things instead of just looking at me and nodding at everything I say.

And hey, if you think hi-fi is female repellent  you haven't tried Linux.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #87 of 297

And hey, if you think hi-fi is female repellent  you haven't tried Linux.

Oh man, Linux. How true. That's on the work computer (by choice). When the better half needs to use it in a pinch and Adobe Reader doesn't automagically pop up when she downloads a knitting pattern, she curses the high heavens and utters, "Why don't you use a real operating system?"

And in my mind I reply, "It is a real operating system."

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #88 of 297
Yeah my girlfriend feels left out because no one else brings their girlfriend - she'd love to participate if someone else's is there.
And she does know Linux, very well. So perhaps she can explain a thing or two in that regard.

And maybe @yage 's wife can share a few knitting patterns 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #89 of 297
mad.gif

tongue.gif

Who doesn't love a great deal?
beerchug.gif
Both of you are giving that tube bug back to me. Will be interesting hearing both Sonnets and the Stratus.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #90 of 297
I say I'm going to a meet and my daughter says "nerdfest".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back