DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016, 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #196 of 297
  Guys that are using the Onkyo HF Player on an iDevice, have you had any problem with album artwork not showing correctly?

I loaded FLAC files on to it and everything works ok, but the player shows the last image that is embedded in the file instead of the one labeled "front." For example, if I have a FLAC file that I have embedded both the "front" and "back" images of a CD, HF Player will show me the back image. My habit when I rip into FLAC is to embed the "front" image first, the "back" image next, and other images like "CD" or other included images last. HF Player appears to be showing the last image embedded.

None of my files have this problem with foobar 2000 or VLC.

Anybody have clues on how to fix this?

I'm using Onkyo HF and playing FLAC files.

But you lost me with everything else 
confused.gif

When I loaded the same FLAC files onto my DAP, I could not figure out where the images came from. Apparently you're telling me you can imbed an image into a FLAC? That's something I'll have to look up, but not until after the meet.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #197 of 297
  I'm using Onkyo HF and playing FLAC files.

But you lost me with everything else 
confused.gif

When I loaded the same FLAC files onto my DAP, I could not figure out where the images came from. Apparently you're telling me you can imbed an image into a FLAC? That's something I'll have to look up, but not until after the meet.

Yes, it's pretty much the same as tagging mp3s. I rip with EAC into FLAC and use its FreeDB database to tag most of the information. Then I clean up the tagging errors and embed album art using foobar 2000's Masstagger component.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #198 of 297

Yes, it's pretty much the same as tagging mp3s. I rip with EAC into FLAC and use its FreeDB database to tag most of the information. Then I clean up the tagging errors and embed album art using foobar 2000's Masstagger component.

I've been on iTunes since like...forever!
I've used EAC a couple of times, for the performance. But I never thought to look under the covers:

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #199 of 297
I just tested my theory that Onkyo HF Player is showing the last image embedded to the FLAC file. I embedded the "back cover" and the "front cover" in that order, which is in the reverse order that I normally embed the images. Sure enough, HF Player shows the "front cover" image as it should.

Doing some digging around, the FLAC format uses nearly the same metadata structure as id3v2.4.0 used for mp3 files, except there is no uniqueness constraint on the image description as there is for mp3 files.

I guess it's just poor coding where the HF Player does not check the image label to display the "front cover" descriptor, instead it looks like it just displays the last picture block it encounters.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #200 of 297
For anyone who may be interested, I'll call this a public service announcement. If you are using an iDevice and have found the Onky HF Player's interface less than perfect (besides for the album art issues, for those with an iPhone 6(s) plus, the app does not recognize the extra pixels, it just magnifies the display and looks clunky), I have found an alternative that does everything the HF Player does, but without any of the downsides.

The app is iAudioGate and it normally costs $19.99, but until 2/23 it's down to $9.99.

Disclaimer: I have only been playing with it for about an hour, so I may have missed something. But I have tested that it will play FLAC 24/96 out to an external DAC without down converting to 44.1 or 48 kHz. It will play DSD up to 11.2 MHz, but check compatibility of your device (new devices are better supported). Also, the interface is much nicer, IMO.

Happy listening.
atsmile.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #203 of 297
I have the HAM55x pads, this could be interesting. I was hoping to get some recommendations on eq setups when I get there. Not sure when I will get out of class but I will probably be arriving late  like 3:00 to 3:30ish and there's a chance I might not be able to make it.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #204 of 297
I'll probably be hanging around until the end, so if you make it we can compare pads, if not, not. My EQ is very unsophisticated, but I'm sure others will have advice. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #205 of 297
@Serenitty and @yage - for your closed headphones, are they terminated in 1/4" phono? I would love to have a brief listen - just need to know what adapter to bring.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #207 of 297

Yep, 1/4 in. Also comes with 4-pin XLR and a 1/4 in. to 1/8 in. adapter.

Yay - adapter!

Adjusting to EL-8C (and thinking of bringing it) plugged into my iPhone DAC/AMP. It's a 1/8" phono on the portable.
At home, I have two 1/4" to 1/8" and one 4-pin XLR to 1/8" adapter. Just would like to pack only what I need.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #208 of 297
Yay - adapter!

Adjusting to EL-8C (and thinking of bringing it) plugged into my iPhone DAC/AMP. It's a 1/8" phono on the portable.
At home, I have two 1/4" to 1/8" and one 4-pin XLR to 1/8" adapter. Just would like to pack only what I need.

Yeah, it's a tough balance between having what you need and bringing too much. For my part, I plan on bringing several adapters, if someone needs them.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #210 of 297
Yeah, it's a tough balance between having what you need and bringing too much. For my part, I plan on bringing several adapters, if someone needs them.

At home, I tend to have 2 (or more) headphone cables per headphone. I'm not going to bring 19 headphone cables to the meet - so yes 
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back