DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, February 27, 2016, 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #181 of 297
I feel like we may be getting a bit off-topic here, but ... :wink:

For Mahler, any of the Teldec recordings conducted by Zander are a sure thing. Moreover, he typically provides a second or third CD of lecture explaining his interpretive choices. Facinating!

My favorite Brahms symphony cycle as far as performance AND sound would be Rattle's. Bohm's is also fantastic in very warm analog. Levine's is the most exciting, IMO, but it suffers a bit from a rather claustrophobic soundstage... I'd rather listen to that set on my very modest speaker setup.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #182 of 297
I feel like we may be getting a bit off-topic here, but ... :wink:

For Mahler, any of the Teldec recordings conducted by Zander are a sure thing. Moreover, he typically provides a second or third CD of lecture explaining his interpretive choices. Facinating!

My favorite Brahms symphony cycle as far as performance AND sound would be Rattle's. Bohm's is also fantastic in very warm analog. Levine's is the most exciting, IMO, but it suffers a bit from a rather claustrophobic soundstage... I'd rather listen to that set on my very modest speaker setup.

Haha we could talk all day about what recordings we like and are familiar with. I have listened to only the Levine recording you speak of, maybe the Bohm too, I cannot remember. I'll just leave it to you to choose a classical choice for the list, and I'll abide.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #183 of 297
I stand by "Mars" Holst/The Planets/Telarc/Levi. It's fantastic. :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #186 of 297
When the list is finalized, anyone can make it a Tidal playlist, and share it to others who use Tidal

Many tracks they're talking about I cannot find on Tidal.

But I am listening to a nice Chesky album this minute - just bookmarked. And how do I share to fellow Tidal members? Or you can show me at the meet. I'm rather user-interface illiterate. I'm better at building them myself!

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #187 of 297
Unfortunately, the HD800 seller never hit me back so I won't have one....BUT, I just got some NOS Telefunken E88CC 60s tubes for the Lyr 2. So I think that's it for me as far as audio is concerned for a long while.

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #188 of 297
Unfortunately, the HD800 seller never hit me back so I won't have one....BUT, I just got some NOS Telefunken E88CC 60s tubes for the Lyr 2. So I think that's it for me as far as audio is concerned for a long while.

I just checked - apparently no one is getting a reply 
confused.gif

Not sure what to say on that one...perhaps you'll hear the three at the meet and think, the horror. I'm sure you'll hear something good, and then be able to jump in with two feet 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #189 of 297
Many tracks they're talking about I cannot find on Tidal.

But I am listening to a nice Chesky album this minute - just bookmarked. And how do I share to fellow Tidal members? Or you can show me at the meet. I'm rather user-interface illiterate. I'm better at building them myself!

Yeah Tidal won't have everything but we can do the playlist with the 70% of tracks they do have. Of course tidal is 16/44 also so they can't (yet) supply higher Rez. And this won't solve anything for non-tidal users.
I've never actually shared playlists on tidal but I have on Spotify so I know it can be done. I'll try it this weekend

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #191 of 297
I was undecided about my ability to attend simply because I didn't know my schedule for the month. Turns out I'll be in NYC next weekend, so I will unfortunately be unable to attend. Have fun and I look forward to next time!

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #193 of 297
Never ever been to one of these things.  I have a Denon D600 and a Fiio E17 that I have loaned out to a friend, so I'll just bring the cans up.

Is anyone here a fan of Jaga Jazzist?  They're a Norwegian jazz ensemble.  You all should listen to some of their music.  Here's a good one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDd9luCWEM

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #194 of 297
  Never ever been to one of these things.  I have a Denon D600 and a Fiio E17 that I have loaned out to a friend, so I'll just bring the cans up.

Is anyone here a fan of Jaga Jazzist?  They're a Norwegian jazz ensemble.  You all should listen to some of their music.  Here's a good one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDd9luCWEM

Welcome!

Just bookmarked the band. I'll listen to it on Tidal a little later. Hope you cane make it!

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #195 of 297
Guys that are using the Onkyo HF Player on an iDevice, have you had any problem with album artwork not showing correctly?

I loaded FLAC files on to it and everything works ok, but the player shows the last image that is embedded in the file instead of the one labeled "front." For example, if I have a FLAC file that I have embedded both the "front" and "back" images of a CD, HF Player will show me the back image. My habit when I rip into FLAC is to embed the "front" image first, the "back" image next, and other images like "CD" or other included images last. HF Player appears to be showing the last image embedded.

None of my files have this problem with foobar 2000 or VLC.

Anybody have clues on how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back