DC Area Head-Fi Meet - George Mason Regional Library - SUNDAY. APRIL 12, 2015 Noon-5 pm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #78 of 242

you can use mine. I am looking forward to try HE-6 on Rag

I want to try them out of the balanced out on my 10.33 as well.

Sure, I recently build this awesome 8 x 4 side each DIY balanced cable (seems like for me
wink_face.gif
 ), you can try with that. What is 10.33?

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #79 of 242

Sure, I recently build this awesome 8 x 4 side each DIY balanced cable (seems like for me
wink_face.gif

How is that cable terminated? My amp has a 4-pin XLR "balanced" (truly its dual mono) output for headphones.  i already have a cable for this since I use it with my HE-560s.

The 10.33 is my Audio-GD NFB-10.33: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN_Specs.htm

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #80 of 242
The device has arrived - the Synergistic Research HOT (Headphone Optimized Transducer). Is it miraculous or BS or something in between? Hope everyone tries it out at the meet.

I wonder if it just ups the output impedance a whole bunch to change the headphone characteristics, like listening out of an AVR instead of a headphone amp.  High output imdpedance tends to add a forward slant to the FR of some headphones, especially those with impedance humps in the low and mid range of the FR.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #81 of 242

I wonder if it just ups the output impedance a whole bunch to change the headphone characteristics, like listening out of an AVR instead of a headphone amp.  High output imdpedance tends to add a forward slant to the FR of some headphones, especially those with impedance humps in the low and mid range of the FR.

I don't think we should turn this thread into a debate or speculation on how (or if) this thing works--there's already several other threads for that. I'll gladly take a listen if someone will be kind enough to randomly switch it in and out of the  signal path.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #82 of 242

wink_face.gif

How is that cable terminated? My amp has a 4-pin XLR "balanced" (truly its dual mono) output for headphones.  i already have a cable for this since I use it with my HE-560s.

The 10.33 is my Audio-GD NFB-10.33: http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN_Specs.htm

It is XLR balanced, works with 10.33. It would be awesome to compare them with Krell.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #83 of 242
I'll be happy to pass it around that day for sighted listening,and also happy to help with blind trials.
BTW, if anyone likes it and wants to buy, 100% of the price will go to a charity called Loaves & Fishes. Sort of a long story. May post later, or just ask me at the meet.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #84 of 242

I don't think we should turn this thread into a debate or speculation on how (or if) this thing works--there's already several other threads for that. I'll gladly take a listen if someone will be kind enough to randomly switch it in and out of the  signal path.

This seems to be interesting, I can build an split XLR interconnected, so that we can hook one source to two Amps. That way apple to apple will be more evident.

3 foot will be enough?

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #85 of 242
I should be able to show up for a bit. I'll try to bring:
HD800
HD700
PM-3
ER-4P

Asgard2
Magni1

I'd also happily set up a "how low can you go" game for people to play with bit-depth and sample-rate ABX
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #87 of 242
I would really love to attend this, I have been looking to upgrade since getting my Q701 but just needed the chance to hear whatever before I spend $400. Should I bring along my Q701 if I won't have a complete setup? I run all my music from my pc into a fii0 amp/dac combo E09k + E17. I would not mind anyone trying my headphones with another setup but I just don't really have an idea of how these meets go. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #88 of 242
  I skimmed the list, don't know if anyone has chimed in yet but I can bring the Audeze 3's, and the Sennheiser 800s. Both have upgraded cables. For sources, I can bring a Mytek (if you all haven't all heard it by now) but I also have the Oppo HA-1 that I haven't even setup yet. Also have a PS Audio Sprout that is small enough that it would be easy to bring, and it's nice because it does Bluetooth as well as the USB. Let me know if there are real preferences because I'd rather bring either the Mytek or the Oppo (and then the Sprout which will fit in my pocket). 

I'll start burning in the Oppo in anticipation.....

John P

Please bring the Oppo, that is such a cool piece of equipment that I have become very fond of recently. Would love to hear how it sounds along with your headphones. I am bringing a Yulong A800 amp, which is class A, and a MF V90 DAC, would like to compare both.  

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #89 of 242
I would really love to attend this, I have been looking to upgrade since getting my Q701 but just needed the chance to hear whatever before I spend $400. Should I bring along my Q701 if I won't have a complete setup? I run all my music from my pc into a fii0 amp/dac combo E09k + E17. I would not mind anyone trying my headphones with another setup but I just don't really have an idea of how these meets go. 
Sure, you can bring your headphones and carry them around, ask to listen to them on other peoples' gear. That's one of the normal things that happen at meets.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #90 of 242

I would, this way you can use it as a frame of reference when listening to other headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back