dblab ppa finally... FINISHED!!! (56k warning)
Oct 31, 2004 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It's been a LONG wait for me, ever since I embarked on the project a few months ago... Well well, so here it is finally, just finished last night. Simply putting the chassis together and wiring the boards took more than 7 hours, but anyhow... here are some daytime shots (it was sunny today!):

DSC_0401-Medium.JPG

DSC_0402-Medium.JPG

DSC_0410-Medium.JPG

DSC_0412-Medium.JPG

DSC_0419-Medium.JPG

DSC_0420-Medium.JPG

DSC_0422-Medium.JPG

Although the amp was on, because of the rather intense sunlight, none of the lighting is evident... Well, here is what it's supposed to look like:

DSC03194-Medium.JPG

DSC03198-Medium.JPG

Tonight I'll post some more pics in the dark so that the amp can show off its real beauty!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm SOOOO excited!

Anyway. The adjustable bass boost (Alps Blue + 20K in parallel) is really amazing. A lot more useful that I thought. It's so much fun and useful to change the bass on the fly to match different cans, genre, artist...

Anyway, more updates to come!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 46
Nice work! If I read correctly one knob is volume control and the other is bass? The lights look very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the night pics. The most important question is, how does it sound with the MS2's?

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Wow--looks amazing Doosik. What did you do for internal components?

Thanks! The amp is wired with teflon coated pure silver for all signal paths, caps are all Pana FM (for STEPS as well), with Glassman Diamond Buffer MK3, OPA627BP, Vishay-Dale RN55/60 throughout, WIMA MKS-2, WIMA 0.22uF MKP-2 for bass boost, etc...

Quote:

damn that is outrageous

that's some serious quality

like the wine, nice touch.

Thanks for your comments. Haha, I was just walking into my room after a shower with a glass of wine and then the thought occured to me, hey, I should photograph the amp now that the sun is out...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Nice work! If I read correctly one knob is volume control and the other is bass? The lights look very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the night pics. The most important question is, how does it sound with the MS2's?

Yeah, the one is volume and the other is bass. Both are controlled by the Alps Blue pot, but the bass has a 20K resistor connected in parallel to limit the maximum boost. The amps sounds very nice with the MS-2s, the OPA627s are definately adding a touch of smoothness while the bass boost adds to the punch... I prefer the Senns without bass boost, though, the midbass response on the Senns make things sound all too dark with boosted bass. Rock sounds absolutely amazing with the right amount of bass boost on the MS-2s.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 46
Oct 31, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 46
this isn't helping argh ms-2 gone rats i'm having a reverse-fotm moment...

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 46
Without a doubt, the finest PPA build I have ever seen. You have outdone yourself Doob....give yourself some props.

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 46
JMT said it best.

Also, excellent pictures! What are you using to take them?

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 46
OOh..... My basshead side LOVES that extra knob. Looks top-notch all the way around, congrats Doobaloo. I owned a PPA that was pretty basic and didn't like the grainy harsh top end. Does all the additional hardware smooth that problem out a bit on a maxed ppa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back