DBI pro 700 first impressions
Apr 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

RobustOrange

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I recently ordered a pair of DBI pro 700's off of ebay for $22+$10 shipping. I decided to purchase these after seeing rave reviews about them here on head-fi. And, given their low price tag, who wouldn't? Anyway, lets get on to the impressions. 

Appearance and build: These are a relatively ugly headphone to a lot of people. They have a sort of old industrialized look to them. They are very large, though quite light for their size. DBI decided to be a little bit forward with their advertising and put their website address right on one of the earcups. Oh well, not as gaudy as Bose. Now, the actual construction of these seems quite solid. They are a hard, somewhat rubberized plastic. The earpads themselves have a very plastic-like feel to them, it feels a little bit cheap to me. The same type of material is used for the headband padding. The cable has a very thick gauge to it due to it being armored with steel (Just in case you happen to get into a skirmish with someone wielding a machete). These could be recabled if you so desired to do so, but I quite like the cable. The headband feels nice and rigid, I havn't taken them apart yet, but it feels like a steel band is used for support. 

Comfort: The earpads don't breathe too well. So after about an hour of listening your ears will get warm/sweaty. Not a huge problem, take em' off for a minute and continue your listening. The headband pads distribute their weight against your head well and I find them comfortable. The earpads are VERY spacious, they offer a lot of room for your ears to rest in. My ears do not touch the driver housing, I can't say the same for those with larger ears. 

The sound: Now, I'm a little bit new to analyzing cans. So don't take my opinion too seriously. 

Highs: These were the first thing I noticed when I used these. They are a very bright headphone, it surprised me a little bit at first how bright they were. No problem, EQ'd the highs down to the point they were noticeable but not too bright. Those who like their highs prominent will enjoy these. 

Mids: The mids are quite nice. Very detailed. Not a bit recessed. Those who enjoy a bit of metal or rock will enjoy these a lot. Guitars sound great on them. You'll hear things a lot of other cans can't produce (Hearing fingers on strings on 320 kbps songs unamped? pretty sweet.). They are my favorite part of the sound, and a crucial part of the music I listen to. The detail in the mids is comparable to a pair of AKG k-240 or a Shure shr-440. 

Bass: This is where I know a lot of people won't like these. They don't have that skull-thumpin' bass that the bassheads love. BUT, I found EQ'ing to be effective in making the bass a little more punchy. The bass they do have is very pleasing, it's not overbearing and absolutely does not bleed into the midrange at all. Those who listen to electronic will find it acceptable, but not really as fun as they may like. Though, if the track calls for bass it will deliver it. It has a nice amount of mid-bass impact. Though the lower frequencies could be a little better. 

Overall sound: Very nice, detailed sound. No other sub $50 can will deliver clarity like this. Period. I've heard quite a few of the beloved budget cans mentioned often on here. None of them can match the clarity of these. Usually, these retail for $180 from DBI. But it's far easier just to order one off of ebay, or maybe even the forums here for around 40 bucks total. I'm getting off topic. Well, the sound is very clear. I've only had them for around 5 hours already and have not had a burn in period (I got these slightly used, they appeared brand new. But I'm not sure if they've had a lot of play time.) So I will update this after that. Maybe the highs will even themselves out a bit. They are pretty forgiving of bad tracks, but will expose quite a few flaws in the recording if any. 

Soundstage: This is the great factor of these. These have the soundstage of an open can, while being closed. It's very wide, though not very deep. Though, a lot of other cans for the price feel like they're very lacking in soundstage, so these beat just about every one I've tried for closed cans. You won't find a soundstage like this on anything sub $70. 

Overall: Excellent headphone, best to be had for the money. They can be run on a portable device easily due to their low impedance, though an amp will help them. I found I had to crank the volume up to 90% to get to my preferred volume (relatively mid volume). 

If you have any questions just ask, I'll post more later. Please be easy on me, this is really my first time doing an impression on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back