Daydreaming About Saving the Compact Disc
Dec 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
As I was drifting off to sleep last night, I found my thoughts focusing on the reported decline of physical media sales. I know that not everyone values a physical copy of their music over a cheap/free lossy digital file but I, for one, have to have an original copy and I know a lot of us here feel the same.

I came to think about the the prospect of physical media becoming history and thought, in the face of this reported decline, vinyl continues to live and thrive. So what does vinyl have that CDs don't? It's far less convenient, most people prefer the sound of CDs or could otherwise care less... but here we have a medium which, insofar as public perception is concerned, is archaic and unwieldy, and yet it's growing in popularity once again.

Now first of all, I want to give propers where they are due: There are a handful of "Indie" labels who are going out of their way to make vinyl a more approachable format. There have been a number of releases over the last two years or so that include a free download of an album with the purchase of the record. This is brilliant, in my opinion.

But I digress.

The main thing I considered was simple: Desire. A record album is a desirable piece of merchandise. With its large size, things like booklets, liner notes and of course album art are almost somewhat of a luxury. This has, of course, been discussed to death on these forums.

But the main thing that stuck with me was that concept of desire and how it can also apply to the CD. I started to think of the better digi-pack designs out there, along with brilliant packaging concepts (Tool's latest comes immediately to mind) and other special editions that come to market which really add value to one's hard-earned purchase; a purchase made despite the near-guaranteed availability of such music - for free, online.

And so I begin to think, perhaps naively, about embracing the realities of music going into the ether while holding onto a "niche market" approach to the compact disc. Of the rights holders allowing the superiority of the DSD/SACD (fine, and DVD-A) formats to proliferate in the form of hybrid discs on all physical copies produced.

Imagine walking into a revamped "specialty shop" version of your favourite music store, where the walls and bins are adorned with compact discs, and there's not a one-page-insert jewel case in sight. Hefty digi-pack and mini-LP designs prevail, all containing extensive liner-notes, lyrics, photography, paintings and other art the band felt complimented the music they've created. Front covers with embossed typefaces. Textured papers and specialty inks and foils. I remember a time when bands spent significant time ensuring their albums had accompanying artwork that spoke to them and inspired their work, often sharing works that were created by the band members themselves, adding an extra level of connection to the artists.

We all know where music is headed, but there are still a lot of people who don't see value in owning a string of code. Make the CD desirable, and it will live on. Make all LPs available with a free download and vinyl will pick up even more.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I think it's reasonable. Anyone else with thoughts?

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 43
You are so right. I'm quite young but my uncle is into vinyl and I spoke to him and he showed me some records.
Vinyl is just "more".
The size, the packaging etc. adds (emotional) value to the album.

A CD..well is just a CD. You can't see or "touch" the music like with vinyl. So if the CD per se is "less" compared to vinyl then I think there should be better packaging and extras at least.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 43
Despite all the discussions/arguments for and against, I still prefer vinyl first, reel to reel tape second and CD third. I can listen to vinyl far longer at one sitting without getting a headache than CD.

For my electronic music collection, I still rip and encode my own discs.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

I came to think about the the prospect of physical media becoming history and thought, in the face of this reported decline, vinyl continues to live and thrive. So what does vinyl have that CDs don't? It's far less convenient, most people prefer the sound of CDs or could otherwise care less... but here we have a medium which, insofar as public perception is concerned, is archaic and unwieldy, and yet it's growing in popularity once again.

We have a very exaggerated view of how popular vinyl is here at Head-Fi, it is an extremely small niche market especially for "new" vinyl. I would like to see numbers of new Radiohead album for instance, I bet vinyl versions are much less than 5% of total albums sold.

I previously owned Rega/Linn LP12 turntables for almost 20 years during 1980s and 1990s

Quote:

The main thing I considered was simple: Desire. A record album is a desirable piece of merchandise. With its large size, things like booklets, liner notes and of course album art are almost somewhat of a luxury.

I do really love the large graphic display area of vinyl album, especially the gatefold designs that open with two full panels for artwork photos etc. I like CDs that have nice digipaks, booklets, artwork, photos etc and will pay a little extra for that feature. New U2 Joshua Tree remaster is a beautiful example of enhanced CD packaging, seems to not be much of a selling feature however if comments for Joshua Tree thread here is any indication

I suppose that if you have tranferred your music collection to hard drive there are very nice software packages and online websites that can give you all kinds of nice bios, photos, videos and background info on any album you are playing with a laptop computer at your seat.....can never duplicate all this info on any physical package, so very hard to compete with better packaging as sales tool today
frown.gif

Also want to mention that back in old days it was fun to "hang out" at local record store and see friends, discuss music, hear new stuff played at store. It was like a Starbucks is today, a social scence and fun place to go

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have a very exaggerated view of how popular vinyl is here at Head-Fi, it is an extremely small niche market especially for "new" vinyl.

I completely agree with you here, but therein lies the concept - the niche. With online music distribution looking like it's headed toward the norm, the CD is theoretically the next niche product. But a typical compact disc doesn't have that emotional appeal of a vinyl album due to size and the standard packaging choice of those awful jewel cases.

But instead of abandoning "traditional" media, the idea is to quash the "special edition". Lord knows the record companies LOVE to produce luxurious special packages for their larger releases (and many smaller outfits have adopted mini-LP and digipak designs as standard), usually for only a few extra bucks. What if those "special editions" were the norm? What if an SACD layer was standard? Simple, extra incentives to get the best copy available, no? Even versus lossless downloads, a hi-rez disc with beautiful supporting images would be desirable to the collector and die-hard fan alike.

Dec 28, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by OptionTrader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my electronic music collection, I still rip and encode my own discs.

Do you get a headache from listening to your ripped and encoded music?

I can listen to mine all day. Never had any problems with ear fatigue, headaches, etc. So, I'm curious if your experience is similar.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

With online music distribution looking like it's headed toward the norm, the CD is theoretically the next niche product.

I still think it will be a while before CDs become a niche product. CDs are still outselling digital downloads, and contrary to popular belief, not everyone owns an Ipod or DAP. There are also people who don't own computers, and of those that do, not everyone has a high speed connection.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 43
Vinyl's current production is currently well less than 1% of its past peak.

But back on topic. I love music, I'm an audiophile and an equipment snob (PSB Platinum FTW!), but I could care less about physical media. I get a CD, I open it, I rip it to iTunes losslessly. I get a vinyl EP/LP, I bring it to a friend who has a USB turntable and rip it to iTunes/FLAC. The media is then stacked in an unused room, waiting for the day I trade it on LALA.com, or sell it at a garage sale (or re-rip it if my harddrive fails, which knock-on-wood, hasn't happened in 5 years).

And of the CD case materials I like the jewel box. Digi packs are easily damaged, and new jewel cases are readily available if they break.

If I had a band I'd do a limited release run of physical media (in vinyl and SACD), and keep the bulk of my material on an online music store. Without the limitations of playtime my band could also cover hundreds of popular songs and sell them piecemeal for a buck a pop. Easy money with no production or shipping costs. Plus I could even resell the same song every time the status-quo dictated the bitrate of online music should increase.

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 43
Aha, but you're really kind of making my point for me here. I'm not dismissing the increasing demand for online/electronic media - I'm coming out and saying I believe it is indeed the future of music distribution and far, far moreso than it already is. And while I recognize that the CD isn't dead yet, it's starting to look inevitable.

So, while Rock&RollNinja is in one camp of consumers (and presumably in the majority), it supports the idea of the CD becoming a niche product much like the record... there just aren't as many of us left that really do care about being able to hold their music - or at least holding onto it longer than the time it takes to rip it to our computers.

Your practical comments about jewel cases aside, you have to admit they aren't exactly accomodating of more than a simple booklet (and a thin one, at that). Furthermore, they use way more plastic than is necessary, break easily and scuff almost immediately. While the digipak is by no means perfect, they do allow for more expansive design. The mini-LP is even better, with no plastic involved at all (aside from the disc, of course).

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... you have to admit they aren't exactly accomodating of more than a simple booklet (and a thin one, at that).

This may sound like heresy, but I haven't read a booklet since Rammstein's Herzeleid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... jewel cases ..... break easily and scuff almost immediately.

Plastic beats paper.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had a band I'd do a limited release run of physical media (in vinyl and SACD), and keep the bulk of my material on an online music store. Without the limitations of playtime my band could also cover hundreds of popular songs and sell them piecemeal for a buck a pop. Easy money with no production or shipping costs. Plus I could even resell the same song every time the status-quo dictated the bitrate of online music should increase.

Ahem...all this assumes that your band doesn't suck.
wink.gif

--Jerome

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 43
although i agree that physical media music storage has been and is still becoming less popular, i don't see the CD going away anytime soon.

10/20 years from now though ...

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 43
GlendaleViper,

I see where you're getting at. However, I think the general public is beyond saving from the clutches of digital downloads. Sound quality is no concern to these people and they think audiophiles are nut jobs. Packaging? The general masses rather just view the artist's bio or any relevant album info on a computer monitor.

Let me give you something to think about. I buy a ton of Hong Kong pop music on CD each month. HK is a city where the music industry is being destroyed by illegal digital downloads and pirated CDs. So the major music companies of the city (your usual suspects of Sony, Universal, Warner, and EMI) tried to make the (legit) CD version desirable by designing special packaging for them....I have CD that comes in LP-size jackets, CDs with hardcover "books" containing liner notes, CDs packaged with music videos on DVDs, CDs in gatefold digipaks, CDs that comes in 1st edition, 2nd edition, etc., CD that are HDCD-encoded, CDs that are DSD-remastered, and so on. These are all sold at regular CD prices....or below. Certainly any music lover would want these elaborately-designed packaging and bonus DVDs at the price of a regular CD, right? Well, based on the latest IFPI (Int'l Federation of Phonograph Industry - worldwide version of RIAA) figures, sales of (legit) CDs have dropped to the point where the organization have to lower the standards to achieve gold/platnium sales level. Back in the 80s, albums regularly achieve platnium sales....last year, 2 albums reach that level. I was told by an internet radio station owner, who operates a station that plays vintage HK pop music, that I am the only person on the planet that still buy CDs.

So, in other words, the genie is out of the bottle. Your proposal is noble, but I think it will failed ultimately. Believe me, I am on your side. However, I think the ship has left the port.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may sound like heresy, but I haven't read a booklet since Rammstein's Herzeleid.

Heretic!
biggrin.gif

I just can't get into music that exists only as a digital download as well as I get into a shiny new CD with intact packaging, lyrics, art, etc. There's something about placing the order and then opening the box to find that gift to myself and then holding it in my hand and placing it into the CD player... Hitting "download" and waiting twelve seconds and then getting a little icon identical to every other little icon aside from file name that I can double-click is uninspiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back