David Gilmour Live in Gdansk
Oct 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
New acquisition today. Damn . . . I swore no more CDs for awhile but then I made the mistake of visiting a CD store.

Thus ended up buying David Gilmour's Live In Gdansk. I have the 2CD digipak version, but there also seems to be DVD version.

CD1
01 : Speak To Me
02 : Breathe
03 : Time
04 : Breathe (Reprise)
05 : Castellorizon
06 : On An Island
07 : The Blue
08 : Red Sky At Night
09 : This Heaven
10 : Then I Close My Eyes
11 : Smile
12 : Take A Breath
13 : A Pocketful Of Stones
14 : Where We Start

CD2
1 : Shine On You Crazy Diamond
2 : Astronomy Domine
3 : Fat Old Sun
4 : High Hopes
5 : Echoes
6 : Wish You Were Here
7 : A Great Day For Freedom
8 : Comfortably Numb

Band:
David Gilmour
Richard Wright : Keyboards
Phil Manzanera : Guitar
Jon Carin : Keyboards
Guy Pratt : Bass
Steve DiStanislao : Drums
Dick Parry : Sax
with The Baltic Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra

LiveinGdansk.jpg

I've just begun listening to it and sounds like Phil Manzanera actually takes some of the solos (or David Gilmour sounds very different). On Time, the solo sounds different enough from the couple of live versions of the song I have on various live Pink Floyd albums / DVDs. And there is a bit of dual guitar leads on some of the tracks as well.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 12
The Gdansk gig is a part of Gilmour's promo tour on his then new album. I have this Remember That Night - Live From Royal Albert Hall double DVD pack that has similar playlist.

1 .Speak To Me
2 .Breathe (In The Air)
3 .Time
4. Breathe (In The Air) (reprise)
5. Castellorizon
6. On An Island (featuring Crosby & Nash)
7. The Blue (featuring Crosby & Nash)
8. Red Sky At Night
9. This Heaven
10. Then I Close My Eyes (featuring Robert Wyatt)
11. Smile
12. Take A Breath
13. A Pocketful Of Stones
14. Where We Start
--
15. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (featuring Crosby & Nash)
16. Fat Old Sun
17. Coming Back To Life
18. High Hopes
19. Echoes
20. Wish You Were Here
21. Find The Cost Of Freedom featuring Crosby & Nash
22. Arnold Layne (featuring David Bowie)
23. Comfortably Numb (featuring David Bowie)

Bonus Features - Disc 2

From the Royal Albert Hall:
1. Wot's...Uh The Deal
2. Dominoes
3. Wearing The Inside Out featuring Richard Wright
4. Arnold Layne featuring Richard Wright
5. Comfortably Numb featuring Richard Wright
Special Features
* Thirteen bonus tracks including "Astronomy Domine", "Dark Globe", "Wearing The Inside Out" and "Wot's...Uh The Deal"
* Three documentaries including tour and studio footage
* Two Music Videos
* Island Jam 2007
* Photo Gallery
* Hidden: acoustic Echoes among others

Bolded tour footage document showed some of that Gdansk set up. I think it is very excellent in SQ, but I can only presume the Live in Gdansk performs at the same. I'm not sure if this live from Albert Hall has been CD'd. The quality is great on this double DVDs as it's captured in high definition. I really enjoy the variety of songs, but especially the Echoes which is why I bought this in the first place. The best Echoes played live I've ever heard.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 12
I got distracted just now so my first impression of the disc is not one of attentive listening. SQ seems fine (I was playing the ripped MP3 on foobar), quite alot of guitar playing that is not a retread of solos - I think this is important for the Floyd songs as there as numerous live versions one could buy. This version of Echoes sounds quite different to my ears - very good - though I prefer the version on Live At Pompeii.

I also have the Live From Royal Albert Hall DVD - but damn, I forgot all about it till you mentioned it!!!!!! That's the problem I have with DVD concerts, I buy, I listen, and then I put them away.

I am going to give Live in Gdansk a thumbs up!

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Does the addition of the symphony orchestra add to or take away from the recording? Also, are they on every track or just a few? I ask because I was considering getting this CD; however, I generally dislike very much recordings where there's a symphony in addition to the band.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 12
In my opinion, the orchestra is unobtrusive and purely provides more texture in the background - it neither adds significantly or distracts from the recordings. It should be noted that the On An Island CD does feature an orchestra in addition to the band, so this is not any radical new live arrangement for the music.

Also, I find the guitars more aggressive on the On An Island tracks when compared to their original studio versions.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 12
It's not a bad set. The problem is that there's no just-DVD release of it, and the DVD is really what I'd want rather than just the CDs.

Also, I believe Gilmore has lost his mind when it comes to ways of releasing things. I don't think FIVE different versions is really necessary, and including the DVDs in the vinyl release should have been a no brainer, especially given it's price.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 12
I got the big package from Best Buy, the 3CD with the Two DVD box, it is simply amazing, I absolutelly love it, not sure what is still in the white envelope as I did not opened it yet???

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I believe Gilmore has lost his mind when it comes to ways of releasing things.

Old Dave can release as much as he wants, in my book. He's the guiding (musical force) behind Pink floyd (writing the best songs) and making them shine with his guitar. people can whine all they want about Syd Barrett. I hated his stuff.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Dave can release as much as he wants, in my book. He's the guiding (musical force) behind Pink floyd (writing the best songs) and making them shine with his guitar. people can whine all they want about Syd Barrett. I hated his stuff.

Dave are Waters are both among the best musicians of this century in my book, both are able to touch your heart like no other can in my opinion...Syd was another thing, the crazy force behind the begining of that huge machinery we all know today as Floyd, most of the crazy stuff they made was inspired by him...but of course there is no doubt that the couple early Floyd's were not as elaborated and pleasant as the later albums with Gilmour...

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Let's bump this a little. Even though I knew the two sets had ~same playlists and very similar performance, I bought the Live in Gdánsk. Arrived today. So I ran right away at the Echoes and the easter egg of it. Very good, sounds solid. Gonna listen to it tonight with Grados.

Edit: I bought the four-disc set. Two CDs, two DVDs.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Oh my! I just came and I've got to say something about the Live in Gdánsk (later G).

First I watched the short documentary clip Gdansk Diary and it was very good, similarish to Breaking bread, drinking wine that was on Remember that Nigh (later RTA). It was of this warmth that only charismatic people such as Gilmour and Wright can pose in their sixties. Truly enjoyed being shared the making of these concerts.

When I rolled the actual concert playing, first I was slightly disappointed since they have cut the Dark Side section off the beginning, so it does start from the On an Island. No matter, since it's present on the CDs. Well, I just like to watch Gilmour and co. on screen as much as I like to hear their music. The first half is played superbly well! The orchestra blends very well into the mix just like in the studio version, but also shares its own highlights in the events. The pianist did a stunning job .. beautiful and fresh. Too bad Robert Wyatt wasn't there playing cornet that night.

When the Island ended, I disappointed once again since they dropped the Shine On off the video. But the music still was excellent and so marvelously on, ahh. I certainly don't regret buying this. Echoes was slightly out of borders when compared to the amazing version on the RTA. High Hopes was stunning as always. C-Numb was nice. Rick's voice wasn't at best and it sounded a bit clumsy. Nevertheless, excellent job, Rick. Even RTA's version of C-Numb excelled this one, I'm afraid. As an excellent bonus, there's a fine live version of Wots uh the Deal in the credits. The original Obscured by Clouds has some serious issues with close miked vocals. This version has both more fidelity and space to it.

In general, G's version of On an Island is superior to everything, but the second half goes to RTA. Remember that Night also has a softer tone, a warmer athmosphere even if the sound itself similars with Gdánsk. I'd buy RTA without hesitation and if On an Island mattered anything to me, I'd also buy Gdansk. Luckily it matters.

Edit: oh right, the picture quality is worse than VHS. Too much macroblocking common to MPEG2 and it gets blurry and somehow ripping when flashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back