David Bowie - what to buy?
Feb 23, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 22
Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars,I think was his best.Young Americans,not bad.The rest of his stuff I hav'nt really been able to get into.

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 22
Right-on, Blackjack: Bowie really 'jumped the shark' when he did 'Labrynth'.

In so many of his different phases, Bowie manages to epitomize a forward-looking encapsulation of cool.

But I'll never be able to completely erase from my brain, the moment in 'Labrynth' when Bowie the elf-queen leaps up in his litle black elf boots and hard-gelled elf coiffure and simpers "Who's got the baby?"

. . . and all the muppets sing, "Dance magic dance! Dance magic dance! "

God forgive him, he seems to like Tracey Emin too.

Better moments:
Low
Heroes
Scary Monsters
Diamond Dogs
Ziggy Stardust
Young Americans
Hunky Dory
Station to Station
The Man Who Sold the World
Aladin Sane
Let's Dance
Tonight

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 22
Sadly it is not the only moment in the 80s.

On the other hand, "The Man Who Sold the World" seems to be missing most your lists. I personally think that is very underrated and overlooked album.

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
Sadly it is not the only moment in the 80s.

On the other hand, "The Man Who Sold the World" seems to be missing most your lists. I personally think that is very underrated and overlooked album.

Fair point and a glaring omission, now corrected.

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 22
I have been a huge Bowie fan for years. I have seen him live seven times. The first time I saw him was at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia where they recorded "David Live," and the last time I saw him was this last May on the "Reality Tour." The man is amazing. All of the recommendations here are great. Personally, I have great difficulty recommending individual Bowie albums because he has gone through so many ch-ch-ch-changes. I am not usually too hot on "Greatest Hits" packages, but for a newbie or for someone who wants remastered songs without replacing their entire Bowie collection, I would recommend "Best Of Bowie [2 CD's]." They really did a good job on this package. It is an excellent cross-section of Bowie's career, all of Bowie's various incarnations are well represented...you should check it out.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=231859004

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #21 of 22
Try to get used 30th Anniversary Editon of Ziggy Stardust, very nice package with 2nd bonus CD of alternate versions and non album tracks. The sound is better on 30th edition, and has 40 page booklet with cool photos.
Ziggy

For causual listener the best 2CD collection of hits by far is this one:
Singles

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 22
Bowie has made a lot of great music

Don't just listen to the things he did in the '70 but also check out his music from the '90 like Outisde hours and Heathen.
Those 3 are very strong albums. Heathen and outside are at the moment my most played Bowie albums

From the '70 I would get.

Diamond dogs
Station to Station
Space oddity
and Low

From the 80

Tin Machine is a very good album it has some heavy rock with good lyrics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back