David Bowie - what to buy?
Feb 21, 2005 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

patricklang

100+ Head-Fier
I never got into Bowie, the stuff I'd heard on the radio just wasn't to my tastes. Today I came across "I'm Deranged" on the Lost Highway soundtrack, and it f'n blew my mind with the K501's. I'm planning to get a copy of "Outside" tonight, what other albums should I check out?

as an aside, on amazon, someone listed NIN - Downward Spiral as an album to check out in addition to "Outside", hehehh

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 22
my favorite is Ziggy Stardust. One of my absolute favorite albums in general actually.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 22
I'd recommend Ziggy Stardust as well.
Enemigo: I think that the Space Odity is cool, especially on headphones. I think that the channel separation adds a bit of unity to the middle of the soundstage, and makes the voices blend well. Just my opinion.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by patricklang
I never got into Bowie, the stuff I'd heard on the radio just wasn't to my tastes. Today I came across "I'm Deranged" on the Lost Highway soundtrack, and it f'n blew my mind with the K501's. I'm planning to get a copy of "Outside" tonight, what other albums should I check out?

as an aside, on amazon, someone listed NIN - Downward Spiral as an album to check out in addition to "Outside", hehehh

it makes perfect sense, as a lot of Bowie's work in that time frame was in collaboration with Trent Reznor. personally, i avoid everything after the Berlin Trilogy (except for Scary Monsters, which was kind of a hold over to pre Berlin trilogy bowie), though Lets Dance isn't awful. Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, Lodger, Low, Station to Station, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Heroes and The Man Who Sold the World are my favorites. that probably doesn't help very much, as those were most of his main releases up until 1980
icon10.gif
this may help you get a handle on his body of work.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 22
Low, Heroes, and Lodger, his "Berlin" trilogy usually get the most ink, but my money is on Scary Monsters, a total freaked-out masterpiece.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Low, Heroes, and Lodger, his "Berlin" trilogy usually get the most ink, but my money is on Scary Monsters, a total freaked-out masterpiece.

Scary Monsters was, imo, Bowie's last masterpiece and perhaps his best. its an amazing album. Lets Dance, while not terrible, was a major let down after Scar Monsters imo.

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 22
I'll second "Scary Monsters". It's my favorite album of his.

If you are looking for something more in the vein of the song you heard, you might want to check out "Heathen" It 's very uneven but has some great moments.

Bowie is like Tom Waits; there are several iterations of him and even if you love one period you may not like the others. My brother can't stand anything by him past "Young Americans" for example

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 22
bowie has changed his style and his music so often that he makes neil young and bob dylan seem stagnant... there are a lot of bowies, and i like most of them
smily_headphones1.gif
the variety of his work is best illustrated by listing some of his long-time collaborators: mick ronson, iggy pop, brian eno, trent reznor - that's rock, punk, ambience, industrial... but amid his ever-changing star personas bowie has stayed a rocking singer/songwriter at heart.

if you like ziggy stardust, try diamond dogs (almost a concept album roughly painted around orwell's 1984), aladdin sane and hunky dory from before the berlin period.

scary monsters is a brilliant 80s albums - and it doesn't have that 80's smell that other albums of that period have... (i still like them, tonight more than let's dance)

in the early nineties bowie rather lost himself, but his last albums have all been strong again, heathen especially. he covers the pixies...
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 22
Hunky Dory
(The Rise and Fall of) Ziggy Stardust (and the Spiders from Mars)
Scary Monsters
Low
Heroes
Station to Station

forgot Aladdin Sane and The Man Who Sold the World

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
...i avoid everything after the Berlin Trilogy (except for Scary Monsters, which was kind of a hold over to pre Berlin trilogy bowie), though Lets Dance isn't awful. Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, Lodger, Low, Station to Station, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, Heroes and The Man Who Sold the World are my favorites. that probably doesn't help very much, as those were most of his main releases up until 1980
icon10.gif
this may help you get a handle on his body of work.

I agree with everything if you add Tin Machine - "Tin Machine" (ignore Tin Machine 2). Standout track "I Can't Read."

David Bowie's pre 80s stuff is fantastic. It is sad that folks associate him with Labyrinth and his shlock of the 80s period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back