Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tpc41

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else excited about Dave Matthews Band's release of Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King? The somewhat awkward album title is a tribute to saxophonist LeRoi Moore who passed away a few months ago. The album is scheduled to be released on June 2nd and feature guests Tim Reynolds, Jeff Coffin (From Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and now an official member of DMB), and Rashawn Ross. I'm pretty anxious to hear this, i think their last studio album was released in 2005.

EDIT: First Single Released today on www.dmband.com check it out

Kinda poppy, but sounds much better than any of the stand up album

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 28
I love the jazzy/jamming side of DMB, but I HATED their last CD. Plain old pop. My faves are Crash and Before These Crowded Streets. I hope the new one is like those.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 28
Ditto - the last album was not so good IMHO.

Frankly, I don't think that they've done anything worth a damn in the studio since they stopped working with Steve Lilywhite. Too bad too...they are a great concert band.

PLEASE Dave and Steve...bury the hatchet!!
frown.gif

Having said all that, if it turned out to be similar to the Dave solo effort, Some Devil, it may be worth having.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Frankly, I don't think that they've done anything worth a damn in the studio since they stopped working with Steve Lilywhite.

So true. I'll never forget the moment when I heard the opening lines of Dreamgirl and knew right then and there that I didn't like my favorite band anymore.

Hopefully they get it turned around.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 28
They are unfortunately not that great live anymore either. Dave is burnt out and his voice is gone, at least at the last show I was at and on the Fenway album. I honestly can't believe I spent money on Fenway. They are all out of tune for one of the shows and most of the new songs are just bad. This is one band that has just toured too much.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are unfortunately not that great live anymore either. Dave is burnt out and his voice is gone, at least at the last show I was at and on the Fenway album. I honestly can't believe I spent money on Fenway. They are all out of tune for one of the shows and most of the new songs are just bad. This is one band that has just toured too much.

How much are tickets these days?

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More than likely his voice was strained for your show. Since he's played so many million concerts theres tons of live mp3's out there and its not hard to find ones which he's obviously got problems with his voice only to hear later ones where he sounds like his old self again.
More a testament to the guy. He's no arrogant princess who backs out of every concert when he gets the sniffles as most artists do.

That being said, and echoing whatever everyone above me said. This album needs to NOT follow the path of their last one. Terrible at every turn. I really have no idea why they fired Lillywhite only to release the songs he originally produced on their Busted Stuff album. If they didn't like the direction he wsa going with it, why would they go and release it anyways after he was gone?

Anywho I really hope "The Idea of You" gets to see a studio version on this album.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 28
I really didn't like any of the new stuff DMB has done, since Dave got all that public attention about his depression and other cry baby stories.

I still enjoy Under the Table, Crash and Crowded Streets. I saw them in Foxborough, MA, I enjoy their studio stuff better. Maybe it was Macey Gray opening up that ruined my experience.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 28
Dave's always had trouble with his voice. He used to lose his voice every couple of shows back in 92/93. He takes much better care of it since then. Unfortunately, the band hasn't really been worth paying much attention to since Peter Griesar left to spend time with his family.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really didn't like any of the new stuff DMB has done, since Dave got all that public attention about his depression and other cry baby stories.

I still enjoy Under the Table, Crash and Crowded Streets. I saw them in Foxborough, MA, I enjoy their studio stuff better. Maybe it was Macey Gray opening up that ruined my experience.

Wow, Macey Gray. How unfortunate. It's amazing they are going from Macey Gray to the Hold Steady.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The album is scheduled to be released on June 2nd and feature guests Tim Reynolds, Jeff Coffin (From Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and now an official member of DMB)

Bloody hell, I hope he doesn't leave the Flecktones. He helped me overcome my anti-sax bias and is still my favourite player of the instrument. DMB are okay, but they're kinda white-bread musically compared to the 'tones.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 28
As much as i love DMB, the most amazing concert i ever saw was Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. Im hoping Jeff doesn't bail on these guys because they are truly amazing to see live. But maybe these two bands will pair up more often now. Some of the best live DMB recordings are the ones featuring the Flecktones. Hopefully this will lead to more chances to hear them all play together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back