darth beyer dt770/80s vs DT880
Feb 7, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gnychis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently have a pair of DT880s and like them, but sometimes I feel as though they lack bass. So, I was thinking about a pair of DT770s but then I think I'd be stuck with a heavy bass headphone with no midrange. I feel stuck. I was wondering how Darth bayer dt770/80s sound in comparisons to these headphones?

Thanks!
George

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 12
Even the standard closed darth beyers have a recessed midrange. That, plus they are pricey for the sound quality you get.

Bottom line, if you want the sonic sig of 2 subs strapped 1" away from your ear, get the darths. Otherwise, look elsewhere!

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 12
I also note you have the HD650. Does that not give you enough bass over the DT880?

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the standard closed darth beyers have a recessed midrange. That, plus they are pricey for the sound quality you get.

Bottom line, if you want the sonic sig of 2 subs strapped 1" away from your ear, get the darths. Otherwise, look elsewhere!

haha ouch, not looking for that kind of bass power.

I wish I could take the bass of my HD650s and strap it to my DT880s. Sometimes I feel the HD650s are a little too dark, and the DT880s are a little too bright. Must...find...balance.........

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 12
Hello!

I have owned 770 pro and Darth's, I can say those two cans are pretty different before and after the mod. There is a whole difference in term of bass impact and the mid range is more present and smooth when Darthed. I have a set of 325i and they have no bass compared to the Darth's when I switch from one to the other and the mids are very different. My Grado's has a more in your face aggressive mid range but the mids on Darth's are smoother and are certainly not lacking.

Just my 2 cents,

Charles

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha ouch, not looking for that kind of bass power.

I wish I could take the bass of my HD650s and strap it to my DT880s. Sometimes I feel the HD650s are a little too dark, and the DT880s are a little too bright. Must...find...balance.........

Something else like the Grado HF-1 has a slightly different quality to the bass, but it's roughly equal, if not more, in weight to the HD650. Plus, you get the grado highs and mids........
Grados are very specific..... and it's pretty much a love it or hate it type of sound. I have no idea how you would respond to it, but the bass is roughly comparable to the HD650.

The K701 might be a middle ground between the HD650 and DT880, but it still might be lacking in the warm bass you are looking for.

You could also try leather pads on the DT880.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 12
i was considering leather pads on the dt880s... i think that might be my next step

grey: what is the bass like on the darths you have? i'm afraid its going to be overpowering for me. Have you heard DT880s or HD650s to compare it to?

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 12
You might look into some Ultrasones (I feel like such a fanboy lately, but just offering a suggestion), as I think it might be a decent fit. The HFI-700s that I've heard have a good amount of bass but also a good amount of detail. I don't think the A900s would fit what you're looking for, but they might be another possible one to check out.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was considering leather pads on the dt880s... i think that might be my next step

grey: what is the bass like on the darths you have? i'm afraid its going to be overpowering for me. Have you heard DT880s or HD650s to compare it to?

I've tried leather Beyer pads on DT-880 and it ruined the sound. I don't think the Darth Beyer(closed) bass is overpowering unless you listen to music that has huge bass...and then you're just asking for
basshead.gif
I also don't think my Darths have lacking mids.

For most of my bass needs the HD 650 is plenty. Many people despise EQ of any type but I've found that my Aphex 204 processor helps fill in that lean bass that the 880 seems to have...and it can brighten up the 650 if needed.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 12
DT880 is in famous on the natural, soundstage. For general users, it is one of the best. However, if you still require more in bass, then it wouldn't be suitable for your favorite. Yes, the Darth Beyer comes with heavy bass, if you are not a basshead, you would think its bass is too much. In comparison, the bass from HD650 is not the kind which a basshead requires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back