Darnit my Paypal got hacked! Need advice and hope that I can still get my money back...
Jun 18, 2009 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
Well, this is what I was initially supposed to post a few days ago:

Quote:

ARGH!

This is the worst thing that has happened to me in recent memory!

I just learned that my PayPal account apparently got hacked because I opened my email just now and saw notifications for a payment made to a certain jackg44@hotmail.com to the tune of $800!!!

The transaction was initiated around 20 hours ago and I've been out of my home for several days without any computer or internet access... so I'm really really bummed... and that's a gross understatement.

frown.gif

Any tips anyone can give? Any hope I can still get my money back?

I've already emailed PayPal so I have to wait before I can get a response
frown.gif

Totally devastated.

I was supposed to post that upon learning that I got hacked a day and a half ago. I decided to cool down a bit and contact my bank and contact PayPal before posting this so I'm posting it now that I have more information.

Here's the chronology of events as gathered from the emails I got:

[06/16; 01:12] - Payment to jackg44@hotmail.com was initiated by "me"

[06/16; 01:16] - Payment was accepted

[06/16; 01:16] - "I" apparently opened a dispute for the payment I made to Jack Gordon indicating that I did not receive the item I purchased

[06/16; 01:17] - Dispute was closed

[06/16; 01:22] - Limited account access was given to my account because PayPal has reason to believe that my account was accessed by a third party.

Still a bit worried right now even though PayPal had already suspected some monkey business and even though they've assured me that the transaction is under review/investigation and the "seller" has been required to provide proof of the validity of the transaction.

Until I get back that $800, I won't be at peace... but I'm hoping this thing gets resolved correctly.

Any tips anyone can give? What are the chances things will be resolved in my favor?

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 45
Lord, what a miserable discovery. I hope that it works out for you. I got phished years ago, and had a week's worth of 2nd Chance Offers for used cars come to my account. I just creeps ya out.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tip #1 - get a Paypal security key for your account - https://www.paypal.com/securitykey

It will prevent this type of thing from happening again and it's only $5.

Great idea, Blizzard came up with this also to protect battle.net/WoW accounts. They also released an iPhone/iTouch app that does the same thing. If Paypal would do the same it would be very cool.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 45
That really sucks!
Hope you get your $800 refunded and that the guilty one get chained.

Quote:

Tip #1 - get a Paypal security key for your account - https://www.paypal.com/securitykey

I went to the site, logged in, and ended up with this message. For some reason the key card is not available... Hmmm

picture2rpw.png

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the site, logged in, and ended up with this message. For some reason the key card is not available... Hmmm

Page loads for me - I wonder if it isn't available in Europe.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 45
Sorry to hear ... that really sucks. Worse to lose $800 in today's economy. I hope PayPal does a thorough investigation, gets your money back and gets the culprit arrested. Sounds like you've started the ball rolling. I would see what PayPal does but don't just sit, keep at them enough to keep them moving on it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #14 of 45
I'm sorry about your PP account getting hacked. I hear many stories about online theft and I activated the PP security key as recommended by the thread to help prevent any unauthorized access to my PP account. Good luck and all should be resolved shortly.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Unless the issue has been fixed, a few months ago Steve Gibson (he does security research and hardcore programming) found a way around the security key just by using the back/forward buttons in the browser.

I'm sure it will deter 99% of the lowlifes who do this though. Best of luck getting your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back