Darkvoice vs. Bada vs. Woo
Apr 2, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #62 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of a difference in sound did changing out the caps make?

I'd say significant. I'm still burning in my WA6 with stock tubes, and I just received a new cable for my HD650's (APS v3), so I have a lot going on right now. I also have to figure out do I like the APureSound Sennheiser MOD (I was using stock cable when I did the mod).

I think after some more hours I'll replace the stock tubes and put the good tubes in (Mullard GZ34 black fat base & RCA 6DE7's). More impressions later.

There are more threads about WA6 mods:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mod...oo-6-a-299795/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/upg...io-6-a-247382/

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #63 of 159
To let everyone know, I ended up buying Jgonino's Bada. It was too good a deal to pass up! I can't wait for it to arrive.

On another note, I am very amused by the techies duking it out about capacitor heat ratings but I don't think this is the place for it. The DIY forum perhaps?

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #64 of 159
I know Roam sounds a bit 'rough' at times, but he knows what he is talking about! If only other people could see that.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #65 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon Wrangler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To let everyone know, I ended up buying Jgonino's Bada. It was too good a deal to pass up! I can't wait for it to arrive.

On another note, I am very amused by the techies duking it out about capacitor heat ratings but I don't think this is the place for it. The DIY forum perhaps?

Congrats on the Bada! Please dont be shy about posting your impressions once it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

as per the title IMHO the technical discussion was somewhat on topic and informative, though I think we can safely assume all of the amps mentioned provide a level of sonic enjoyment that justifies their price point regardless of the monetary value of the parts inside.. depending also on personal preference of course
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #66 of 159
Roam,
1. You stated your opinion, I stated mine. I do not see the point of continuing this discussion.

2. I have better things to do than reading everybody's profiles.

3. As you might know caps will not only heat up because they are near tubes. Even in SS designs some caps get very hot. Take for example Rotel RSP-1098. This is a fine high-end processor. After an hour of operation it does get hot. And guess what, it's not only the power supply's heat, it's the capacitors'.

The above disqualifies your comment on the heat.

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #67 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon Wrangler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations! Welcome to BADA PH-12 crew
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #68 of 159
Man, I just can't decide between getting a Woo or a Bada... I'd actually really like to read reviews of their sound characteristics by people who have actually listened to both.

Anyone know where I could find such a thing?

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #70 of 159
dgm,

did you check Mapletree Audio amps? People seem to be happy with them. They seem to be well built, although somewhat too much "home made". The volume knob alone reminds me of Radioshack. But the design looks neat.

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #71 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dgm,

did you check Mapletree Audio amps? People seem to be happy with them. They seem to be well built, although somewhat too much "home made". The volume knob alone reminds me of Radioshack. But the design looks neat.

Haven't heard of Mapletree Audio, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

OH yes, I had one more question I was going to ask: does a hybrid amp like the Bada PH-12 capture some sound characteristics of a SS and tube amp? Like does it add a little warmth to the sound, but still retain the punchy bass of a SS? Or does it not work that way...?

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #73 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH yes, I had one more question I was going to ask: does a hybrid amp like the Bada PH-12 capture some sound characteristics of a SS and tube amp? Like does it add a little warmth to the sound, but still retain the punchy bass of a SS? Or does it not work that way...?

I'll be sure to tell you my thoughts on that question when my Bada arrives.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #74 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. You stated your opinion, I stated mine. I do not see the point of continuing this discussion.

There is a point. You are blatantly wrong and I'm going to shove it in your face so that everyone can see it.

Quote:

3. As you might know caps will not only heat up because they are near tubes. Even in SS designs some caps get very hot. Take for example Rotel RSP-1098. This is a fine high-end processor. After an hour of operation it does get hot. And guess what, it's not only the power supply's heat, it's the capacitors'.

The above disqualifies your comment on the heat.

This point was addressed in my previous post, or did you miss the part on large ripple currents & voltage?

Let me spell this out for you since you clearly do not understand the concept. Tube amps have a current draw in the dozens to maybe a few hundred milliamps at most, with a few volts of ripple. This WILL NOT heat up a capacitor more than 5°C or so at most. A solid state device will pull several amps to over a hundred amps of current from the capacitors, the heavy ripple current combined with the ESR of the caps is what causes them to heat up.

Hint: Trying to BS me isn't going to work. I'll gladly hand you as much rope as you need to hang yourself.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #75 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard of Mapletree Audio, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

That is correct.

In fact... "tube hybrid" amps, like the XCAN v3 and the BADA PH-12 sound more like SS amps, than tube amps. The tubes add a bit of warmth, but nothing like tube amps. So... yes... they do have much of the same drive as SS amps.

If you want a good description of the BADA's sound - search for posts on BADA PH-12, or by "Drarthurwells" - he provides a very detailed description of the sound of the BADA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back