DarkVoice 336SE interference and tube rolling
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mcninja

New Head-Fier
Sounds decent so far with the stock tubes but when there is no sound or the sound is not loud enough there is a lot of hiss/interference. Moving my mouse around causes a distinct sound in the noise as well but again no problems when playing sound loud enough. Is this normal for the amp/tubes in general or is it just the bad chinese tubes that came with it? While we're on the topic of tubes any recommendations for ones to be on the lookout for? I prefer to keep the coke bottle shape of the power tube if possible. Thanks

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 22
The moving of your mouse is probably causing vibrations which the tubes are picking up. This is called microphonics and is normal for tube amps. With regards to the hissing, you shouldn't be able to hear it with the song playing anyways so it can be ignored. Possible causes for it could be either the tubes or the components of the amp or a high gain setting. I have no clue which one it specifically is (or it can be a combination of them) since I don't own the Darkvoice nor have I ever heard it. You could try switching out the tubes for a better one but I can't say for sure whether it will help or not as if it's the components of the amp itself, the only way to get rid of the hiss is to change the amp. You could also set it at a lower gain.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 22
it's probably a combination of all of the above. although the mouse seems to be the only thing that causes it moving my hand around on the desk or slapping the desk don't seem to cause the same reaction as the mouse. the noise does go away on a lower gain and as mentioned when there is sound going if it's loud enough or enough of it the noise also goes away. Hopefully better tubes will minimise it more or fix it.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 22
there is quite a large tube rolling thread for this amp in the full size amp section.

I have a RCA6AS7G tube which has the coke bottle shape I quite like with this amp (as well as straight bottle GE 6AS7GA) and a RCA 6SN7GT tube I have been using with mine.. (also RCA6SN7GTA and GE 6SN7GTB)

I picked up these tubes for near about $7~ ea

I got my DV336 for xmas and for the most part mine has been pretty dead silent as far as any background hum... the 6AS7GA (i think??? I can't quite remember) one of the tubes anyways.. hummed a bit for like the first 10~ hours or so then it went away..   I am using a FiiO D3 optical dac with mine... if you are getting interference from moving the mouse it could be RF from the pc... might want to try swapping cables and or try using a ferrite core ..what are u using as the DAC for the DV?

i have my DV sitting on my desk i haven't really had any issues with microphonics from typing or mouse or anything else in my case:

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 22
nice set up, also good prices I was looking on ebay and everything seemed to be around $20 or more for the tubes. Do you mean the cables coming into the amp to swap? Right now no dac. I think it's purely the amp since I can kill the volume in windows and the noise is still present in the amp.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 22
  Sounds decent so far with the stock tubes but when there is no sound or the sound is not loud enough there is a lot of hiss/interference. Moving my mouse around causes a distinct sound in the noise as well but again no problems when playing sound loud enough. Is this normal for the amp/tubes in general or is it just the bad chinese tubes that came with it? 

If the noise changes with the mouse movement it's not the tube amp that has a problem but your computer. Is it hooked up to the analogue output on the motherboard? You can try an external DAC but it's not a guarantee as the noise can go through USB. SPDIF is a little bit safer, check if your mobo has that kind of output.

At best, if the tube had anything to do with it, it's the high gain on the tubes, but again if the noise changes with mouse movement and such then it's your PC that really has the problem, and going with low gain tubes isn't a guarantee.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 22
so basically digital noise from the mouse is being picked up in the pc and getting into the audio line inside the pc and the amp just magnifies that? it happens even if I mute volume in windows and move the mouse. My board does have spdif, would a cheap dac fix the problem or do you think I'd have to shell out for quality to rid myself of the problem? currently I have 3.5mm cable going into the audio out of the motherboard that turns into rca and goes into the amp.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 22
  so basically digital noise from the mouse is being picked up in the pc and getting into the audio line inside the pc and the amp just magnifies that? it happens even if I mute volume in windows and move the mouse. My board does have spdif, would a cheap dac fix the problem or do you think I'd have to shell out for quality to rid myself of the problem? currently I have 3.5mm cable going into the audio out of the motherboard that turns into rca and goes into the amp.

Really cheap DACs are just that, cheap. Might as well get something great for not a lot of money, like the Schiit Modi2 Uber.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 22
  nice set up, also good prices I was looking on ebay and everything seemed to be around $20 or more for the tubes. Do you mean the cables coming into the amp to swap? Right now no dac. I think it's purely the amp since I can kill the volume in windows and the noise is still present in the amp.

like the other poster I think it is the PC not the amp...   you could open up your computer case and mess about with trying to tidy up cables and keep anything possible from running over the audio chips.. but the noise when moving the mouse is kind of a classic onboard audio pitfall..

tube wise... I noticed that i did seem to do pretty well price wise on my tubes... just kinda right time right place i guess.. but I pleased with what I got for not much money..

if you computer has the optical output the FiiO D3 I am using is pretty inexpensive and should solve the RF noise problem w/ your onboard audio... for about $20...

I would also say that upgrading from the stock Chinese tubes is worth the effort... I quite like the straight bottle GE 6AS7GA and the RCA 6SN7GT I have that is the combo I have run most of the time I have had my 336.

if you have the option for optical out... the FiiO D3 is actually a nice little dac that sounds quite decent for $20~ish

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 22
Don't suppose you know any dacs that have a selectable output? Currently I have a a/b switch I built myself but it definitely adds noise to the line so I'm currently not using it. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 22

like the other poster I think it is the PC not the amp...   you could open up your computer case and mess about with trying to tidy up cables and keep anything possible from running over the audio chips.. but the noise when moving the mouse is kind of a classic onboard audio pitfall..

tube wise... I noticed that i did seem to do pretty well price wise on my tubes... just kinda right time right place i guess.. but I pleased with what I got for not much money..

if you computer has the optical output the FiiO D3 I am using is pretty inexpensive and should solve the RF noise problem w/ your onboard audio... for about $20...

I would also say that upgrading from the stock Chinese tubes is worth the effort... I quite like the straight bottle GE 6AS7GA and the RCA 6SN7GT I have that is the combo I have run most of the time I have had my 336.

if you have the option for optical out... the FiiO D3 is actually a nice little dac that sounds quite decent for $20~ish

For that price it's worth a shot. Is there a difference between the d3 and the D03 k? seems the pictures are slightly different but it could just be the diffrent sellers. also same question for you, know of any dac that have output selection or am I stuck with my a/b switch? also as you can tell I'm kinda new to this, if I want to reply to someone is it best to quote them or does clicking reply notify them anyway? 

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 22
  For that price it's worth a shot. Is there a difference between the d3 and the D03 k? seems the pictures are slightly different but it could just be the diffrent sellers. also same question for you, know of any dac that have output selection or am I stuck with my a/b switch? also as you can tell I'm kinda new to this, if I want to reply to someone is it best to quote them or does clicking reply notify them anyway? 

oh right... well.. I guess there are two versions the K being the newer (and the one I have).. I looked at some stuff here and it seems people generally think the D03K is the better of the two.. I have only heard the K and since I like mine, it is the one I would suggest also..

as far as the switch thing goes?   I am not too sure on that.. I have a radioshack rca a/b switch I picked up for $5 some time ago that works good with no noise (i could hear) ..but I can't think of any dacs in a budget range that are going to have much in that regard...  for about $50 you could get a schiit sys and run it backwards 1 in two out (volume set at max) ...or you could just get a couple $5~ y splitter cables?

like this

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Plug-Jack-Splitter/dp/B00F8J6PS4/ref=sr_1_15?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1488148265&sr=1-15&keywords=rca+splitter

or the DV336 does have a pre out... I use mine as a pre for my Sony TA-N77ES amplifier quite a lot... I dig it...of course you are putting hours on the tubes doing this ..but it is fine with me...

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 22

oh right... well.. I guess there are two versions the K being the newer (and the one I have).. I looked at some stuff here and it seems people generally think the D03K is the better of the two.. I have only heard the K and since I like mine, it is the one I would suggest also..

as far as the switch thing goes?   I am not too sure on that.. I have a radioshack rca a/b switch I picked up for $5 some time ago that works good with no noise (i could hear) ..but I can't think of any dacs in a budget range that are going to have much in that regard...  for about $50 you could get a schiit sys and run it backwards 1 in two out (volume set at max) ...or you could just get a couple $5~ y splitter cables?

like this

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Plug-Jack-Splitter/dp/B00F8J6PS4/ref=sr_1_15?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1488148265&sr=1-15&keywords=rca+splitter

or the DV336 does have a pre out... I use mine as a pre for my Sony TA-N77ES amplifier quite a lot... I dig it...of course you are putting hours on the tubes doing this ..but it is fine with me...

thanks, I found the same information and purchased the k version. I realised since it would be using spdif I can just switch to the 3.5 line in windows when I want to use my speakers (hi-vi 1080). I've debated about using the dark voice as a pre but the speakers already have an amp in them so I don't know if it would be too much for them. If it's not I wouldn't mind putting more hours on the tubes they should last for a while and it's not like I'd leave them on 24/7 anyway. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 22

just wanted to say thanks again and that the fiio d3 fixed my issues can go all the way up on the volume knob and move my mouse around dead silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back