DarkVoice 336SE interference and tube rolling
Feb 28, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 22
  just wanted to say thanks again and that the fiio d3 fixed my issues can go all the way up on the volume knob and move my mouse around dead silent.

nice... that is great.. I figured it would solve it.. but I'm glad to find out it has indeed..

now time to start rollin' some tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 22
  I have a RCA6AS7G tube which has the coke bottle shape I quite like with this amp (as well as straight bottle GE 6AS7GA) and a RCA 6SN7GT tube I have been using with mine.. (also RCA6SN7GTA and GE 6SN7GTB)

I picked up these tubes for near about $7~ ea

Where does one start looking for tubes to buy?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 22
  Where does one start looking for tubes to buy?

Google "(tube type) review" and "(amp name) tube rolling" to find threads and pages on the topic. Read.

After deciding on what tubes to try, search for "(tube type)" on Google, Amazon, eBay, etc. Google brings up online stores that have it and likely test them so they ship matched pairs (or make sure that two channel tubes like 12AX7's don't have one channel considerably weaker than the other).

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 22
I have a newb question on tubes, I have been trying tube rolling in my 336se. For the preamp I am currently using a RCA 6SN7GTB tube which sounds good and has no background noise. I also have the original 6N8P which has no background noise. These sound good but I recently purchased two new, just to try them out, and got a Sovtek 6SN7GT and a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, both of which have a loud hum as soon as they warm up. I also had a Ken-Rad 6SN7GT a friend gave me that had the hum. He said it was the heater circuit bleeding into the main circuit causing the noise and I should just pitch it. I think I have seen some information on line about ways to cure hum, but I can not seem to find it again. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. For the main amp section, I have a Tung-Sol 6080, and a 6AS7G Wing C, that I have been swapping between.

For reference, I am running an optical source from my PC to a Schiitt Modi 2 Multi, to the 336se, using Analysis Plus oval one interconnects, and using a set of Senn HD600. Still trying to figure thing out.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 22
my understanding is russian tubes tend to hum w/ the DV... the ken-rad you could try running it awhile (how long did you try it).. some have reported hum for quite awhile with a new tube before it quiets down..

I believe the mod you mention is the Fitz mod... I'm aware of it's existence but not super familar w/ the details.. however looking here it is just a couple of caps soldered in as seen here..

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/dv-336se-hum-fitz-mod.353079/page-2

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 22
atarione, Thank you for the response. I did not run it the ken-rad more than a few minutes. I found some feedback online that said it can take 72 to 96 hours to burn in the tubes, and that it can be done with the power tube out, to reduce heat build up. I will look into the Fitz mod. Sounds like a good opportunity. Thank you again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back