Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Jul 29, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #436 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by echo1
I was wrong. It sounds horrible!!!DC voltage causes a voltage reciprication that leads to total disentrigation of all voltage spikes causing power plant failure and a nuclear plant meltdown. Do not do this Mod!!!The feds will come looking for you!!!
Do not bid on 12sn7's on ebay!!!!

So that's why nobody designs around the 12SN7.
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #437 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by heathkit
Before I get into upgrading caps, resistors, etc. and rolling tubes, I really need a better set of cans. So far, from all I've read on Head-Fi and others such as HeadRoom, the AKG K701 might be my next 'phones. However the AT A900, Beyer DT-880, and Senn HD-595 are possible choices. I welcome any suggestions.

On order: Chaintech AV710 soundcard

In general high impedance headphones are a good match for a tube amp. The 701's sounded really nice through the Darkvoice (I still prefer my K340's though). The Senns. (650's) also sounded very nice through the Darkvoice if you like the Senn. sound sig.

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #439 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Maybe some loose solder connection was broken off during shipment. Can you post some pictures of the internals?

The underboard seems to be glued in. I wonder if I pry it open will I void the warranty.

So far I am thinking that it could be a groundloop problem. Does anyone know a good solution against it beside using a 2 prong adaptor, which I think is too dangerous?

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #441 of 823
Well, for some odd reason, the hum went away when I use the 2 prong adapter... So now there's a ground loop problem in my setup, what can I do to resolve this? I don't feel too secure with the possibility of electrocution for touching the switch on the amp...

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #442 of 823
Would you consider using something like this to resolve the ground loop problem:
Belkin PureAV PF40

You can get it online for ~ $160 shipped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
Well, for some odd reason, the hum went away when I use the 2 prong adapter... So now there's a ground loop problem in my setup, what can I do to resolve this? I don't feel too secure with the possibility of electrocution for touching the switch on the amp...

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #443 of 823
SonicDawg I never intended for you to use the Darkvoice with the 2 prong adaptor, just check to see if it was indeed a ground loop. Now you know the problem, as for the fix I'm not the most qualified to answer that, but I'm sure some of the more savvy guys will chime in. I use a power conditioner in my setup though, and it's worth it just for the improvement with the Zhaolu. DACs seem very susceptible to dirty power.

P.S.
DDQ, Why is it that whenever I see your name I have a craving for a Peanut Buster Parfait?
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #444 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
P.S.
DDQ, Why is it that whenever I see your name I have a craving for a Peanut Buster Parfait?
tongue.gif

I was thinking the same thing except for me it's a Heathbar Blizzard.
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #445 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
SonicDawg I never intended for you to use the Darkvoice with the 2 prong adaptor, just check to see if it was indeed a ground loop. Now you know the problem, as for the fix I'm not the most qualified to answer that, but I'm sure some of the more savvy guys will chime in. I use a power conditioner in my setup though, and it's worth it just for the improvement with the Zhaolu. DACs seem very susceptible to dirty power.

As for the ground loop problem, do you think I can just get a ground loop isolator from radioshack? The price sure doesn't break the bank, though I will have second thought about SQ...

Jul 29, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #446 of 823
bad news aside, I am really really liking this new amp... It totally revives the A250 from ear-piercing, thin-sounding to very well balanced and smooth, though its light sound signature doesn't get changed much, besides a stronger bass presence with the new tube amp. As for the K340, I must agree that this amp is MAGIC incarnate. It is the first time I have heard such DEPTH of imaging from my K340... The treble sounds more lively, as compared to my memory with M3... more impressions to come
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #448 of 823
Have you tried changing your equipment around? Like taking out the dac and just using line out on your sound card. Try using another source?Acording to the article it may be the combination of equipment your using.It may tell you were its occuring.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #449 of 823
This weekend I finally decided to stop being lazy and added some more parts to my shopping list. I'm definitely not going to be able to go wild with maxed out boutique parts, since my list isn't complete and I'm already up to over $140. Not to mention there's no room for that sort of stuff inside the Darkvoice anyways
tongue.gif

Off the top of my head, some of the changes to be made:

High temp, high reliability Nichicon GU caps for the power supply
Nichicon Muse KZ caps for the 6SN7 cathode bypass
Nichicon Muse KZ and Solen SM caps for the output coupling (including a massive increase in output capacitance to better handle low impedance headphones)
Alps RK27 potentiometer
Teflon, gold-plated tube sockets (with a much better grip on the tube, and no wiggling of the pins on the back of the socket)
Nicer looking volume control knob
Crossfeed circuit (components still unknown)
Amber power LED (to better match tube heaters)

I hope to finish the list and get most of the parts ordered in the next day or two, and be able to build in a couple weeks.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #450 of 823
how much cost the darkvoice 336 now?
what tubes are in it? better than LD2+? where can i buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back