Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Jul 22, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #361 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
eek.gif
You're making more changes to it? It'll definitely look nice, I already know that much.

Most of these changes are going to deal with the internals, but I did have to make a new faceplate to fill the empty holes left on the front. The only thing on the front will be the power button.

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #362 of 823
More information on the package:
Dimension 40mm x 30mm x 52mm (15.7" x 11.8 x 20.5)
Weight = 7.5 KG (16.5 lbs)
From NanChang, China on 7/19/06 to Los Angeles, CA arrive 7/21/06 noon.
Shipping charge: 1365 RMB,
Additional charge 44.95 RMB
Total Charge: 1409.95 RMB
* I realize this is not a shipping forum, so here is:

The 336 sounds pretty good on the stock 6SN7 and a NOS GE 6080. I have a couple of NOS RCA 6SN7 on the way. I can't wait til the breakin is over.

Quote:

blink.gif
The wood crate must definitely add some serious weight to
it, because I paid $65 for shipping on mine (sans wood crate).

And yeah, I told Wei over at iFi Audio that he should work out something for importing the Darkvoice too, but never heard anything back on that.
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #363 of 823
I'm starting to think the back tube makes more difference than I originally thought. I've spent a fair portion of the night going through my stock, and tonight at least I vastly prefer the Chatham JAN 6AS7G over three different construction RCA 6AS7Gs (two JAN, one not) and a GE 6AS7GA.

And that sure is a pretty new faceplate
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #364 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDQ
I live in Los Angeles, CA.

I have the actual shipping receipt from China Express. I can scan and post if anyone is interested.

The cost of shipping, $176.25 is included in the $310 USD purchase price.

The 336 goes for 1300 RMB (~162.5USD), shipping within China is included in that price.

Bottom line, the manufacturor and the distributor together get $133.75 for making and selling the 336. That's alot of work for $133.75.

We should definitely have a US distributor who import by sea!

I got quoted for $310 too!!! I didn't know that half of that cost went to shipping with A WOODEN CRATE AND NOT SOME PLAYBOY BUNNIES!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

(sorry I milked that one to death)
Someone gotta explain to me how it racks up to that cost for shipping... I thought the 50 some dollars shipping for my Zhaolu was outlanddish...

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #365 of 823
I have just received a follow up email from the distributor. He explained that what I saw on the shipping document was the list price, his real shipping cost while still high, is substantially lower than $174.25

He does not want us to get the wrong impression that the shipping cost is higher than the domestic price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
I got quoted for $310 too!!! I didn't know that half of that cost went to shipping with A WOODEN CRATE AND NOT SOME PLAYBOY BUNNIES!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

(sorry I milked that one to death)
Someone gotta explain to me how it racks up to that cost for shipping... I thought the 50 some dollars shipping for my Zhaolu was outlanddish...

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #366 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Most of these changes are going to deal with the internals, but I did have to make a new faceplate to fill the empty holes left on the front. The only thing on the front will be the power button.

WOW. Is that mother of pearl? Sure looks classy.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #367 of 823
Quote:

I'm starting to think the back tube makes more difference than I originally thought. I've spent a fair portion of the night going through my stock, and tonight at least I vastly prefer the Chatham JAN 6AS7G over three different construction RCA 6AS7Gs (two JAN, one not) and a GE 6AS7GA.

smily_headphones1.gif

That's interesting to hear Fitz.

I have a pair of RCA 6AS7's and a Chatham 6AS7 coming next week and I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a noticable improvement over the stock tube. I'm also eyeing a few 6080's on eBay right now.

I've also placed an order for a couple of Herbie's tube dampeners for front and back tubes, hopefully they'll alleviate some of the hum I'm getting.

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #368 of 823
I am new to the head hi field (dare I call it a habit?). I have recently purchased a HD650 (not quite broken in yet, still with stock cables), which I have been using with either a Pioneer Elite home theater receiver, or a NAD 320Bee integrated amp. The Darkvoice 336 is my first head amp. Right out of the box, the 336 is already doing better than the other two mentioned above.

I look forward to further exploration of more equipments and mods.

Should I honest and call it an addition?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDQ
The 336 sounds pretty good on the stock 6SN7 and a NOS GE 6080. I have a couple of NOS RCA 6SN7 on the way. I can't wait til the breakin is over.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #369 of 823
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm. I guess I should do more of a comparison between my Raytheon 6080 and my Sovtek 6AS7G. I really like the pretty tube though
tongue.gif
. Do you think it's worth stocking up a few different tubes Fitz?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
WOW. Is that mother of pearl? Sure looks classy.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Bosk, It's quilted Maple on top and Bloodwood underneath. You'd swear it was all bumpy in the light, but it's smooth as glass.

I'd make a new faceplate for the Darkvoice, but I like the stock one.

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #370 of 823
Quote:

Hmmm. I guess I should do more of a comparison between my Raytheon 6080 and my Sovtek 6AS7G. I really like the pretty tube though
tongue.gif
. Do you think it's worth stocking up a few different tubes Fitz?

I wouldn't really worry about it at all until you've already stocked up some different 6SN7s you like. It's not the same kind of difference as between those and much more subtle, but it's a very nonspecific "better sounding" impression you get after listening for a bit.

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #371 of 823
Hmm.. I think the main differences between the RCA and Chatham 6AS7s are the RCAs are a bit brighter and more polite, but compressed in soundstage and bass extension, whereas the Chathams are much darker and richer, making them more euphonic and musical. Looks like I need to try a Svetlana or Sovtek sometime too, to see how they compare
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #372 of 823
I have listened to a Rca 6as7g,Raytheon 6080,and a United Electronics 6AS7g. I like the United Electronics for the same reason as Fitz, its not as bright as the other two.But now I have to try the Catham.
Thanks a lot Fitz.
Oh ya I also have a National Electronics I got off ebay coming.
For those interested here is a small DC power supply on ebay here----http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190010864988&sspagenam e=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1
The following was a reply I got from him on the input-output voltages
"Hi,
Yes you can use it and 6.5V ac is enough to 6.3V dc of out put. Your input current must be 1A or more for 1A out put use."
So assuming that the Ac voltage is 6.5 average since our voltage is actually a little higher than 110 VAC, and the rated amps is .6 amps for the heater curcuit,this might do for a nice A.C.>D.C. conversion that will fit in the case.It is 1" X 2"
Please verify this with the seller, as I am not a pro. But it seems like it would work.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #373 of 823
How are your plans for replacing some of the Darkvoice's components (caps, resistors etc.) coming along Fitz?

As for me, if only I had a working knowledge of electronics my first thought would be replacing the Darkvoice's volume control, perhaps with a stepped attenuator assuming one could be squeezed in there.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #374 of 823
Is that a Japanese made National Electronics tube echo1?

I recently tried a pair of their 6922's in my DAC60 and wasn't too impressed with what I heard- very thin and two dimensional sound. Still, they were very cheap tubes.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #375 of 823
Quote:

Thanks Bosk, It's quilted Maple on top and Bloodwood underneath. You'd swear it was all bumpy in the light, but it's smooth as glass.

I'd make a new faceplate for the Darkvoice, but I like the stock one.

Well it certainly looks awesome.
Did you make it yourself swt61? Looks like it was crafted by a professional!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back