Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Jul 8, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #241 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

We'll definitely need some pictures of the internals for this "336i" version to see what differences there are, if Bosk is kind enough to indulge us when it arrives
biggrin.gif
. They didn't change the model number any when they upgraded the chassis and added preamp outputs, so anything with a new number is indeed interesting.

Can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hoping the amp is exactly the same cosmetically because I love the way the original version looks. My guess if I had to make one is that they've done something to the internals to address the hum issues you've had with yours.

Time will tell!

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #242 of 823
Congrats on your purchase heathkit.
cool.gif

Please let us know your impressions when the amp arrives!

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #243 of 823
Incidentally, what are the stock feet on the Darkvoice like?

I ask because I plan on replacing them on my amp (when it arrives) with Herbie's Audio Lab tenderfeet or baby booties for improved vibration control - hopefully resulting in less microphonics/hum from the tubes.

Jul 9, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #244 of 823
Well maybe I have been running heavy equipment to long.But everytime I put a tube in it becomes my favorite.I mean the differences are not a lot between them when you are comparing highly rated tubes. I put one tube and think,Hay I really like it, then I put another one in and think,hay I really like this one to. So I end up changed tubes over and over to try hear the minute differences in them.Maybe my hearing isnt what it once was.So now I am making a final conclusion.
There all my favorite!!

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #245 of 823
If i were to order a darkvoice, would I get the new i version or the old one? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one, but I don't want to get one with a hum/buzz!

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #246 of 823
where do you order them from?

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #247 of 823
Jian Liu

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #248 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2
If i were to order a darkvoice, would I get the new i version or the old one? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one, but I don't want to get one with a hum/buzz!

The "old" version doesn't hum with the stock tubes, nor with the majority of other tubes.

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #249 of 823
Yes I have a lot of tubes that didnt hum as you can see from the list. If you stick with them then if it does hum its a faulty tube more likely.You may want to twist the heater wires if they didnt do that. If anybody wants I can show a photo of the twisted wires and were they go.

Jul 9, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #250 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust
where do you order them from?

Go to the first page of this thread, and all the info is there. He now excepts PayPal too.

heathkit wellcome aboard!

Bosk I can't wait to find out what the differences are. And the feet are just rubber feet.

There seemed to be a lot of interest in mine at the Dallas meet yesterday. MrFaust for one. It sounded great with a number of different headphones IMO.

Jul 9, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #251 of 823
Remember also that if a tube hums, a lot of the time if you play them awhile the hum will go away.If you pick from my list of good tubes,if you have problems then you will know its the tube, not the amp.But I am not saying thats all of them,but the ones I found that work fine.I am listening right now to a Tung sol 6sn7gt that had a real bad hum, but now after listening to it for a couple hours I am straining to hear it. I just sent a bunch of tubes to fitz and he will try them.If they dont hum then his mod with the switch took care of it, or there just bad tubes. I took chances on tubes on ebay and elseware that no one else would. In the long run I did save money on the total of all the tubes,for example a cbs/jan 5692 allmost new for 10 dollars,a nice sounding hytron for 6 dollars,a RCA 6sn7gt vt-231,1945, new for 9 dollars.But I might of ended up with some bad ones also.
I believe now I should not have posted so much about hum in the blackvoice, as now people are thinking that it is a fault in the amp.Yes they should have twisted the heater wires together, but it is easy to fix.The overall sound and build is excellent in my opinion.If any one wants a photo of the twisted wires let me know and I will post a photo.

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #252 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2

You'd have to ask Jian Liu.

It could be that all the Darkvoices made from now on will be the "i" model, or the "i" model I'm awaiting could simply be a one-off prototype, I'm really not sure myself.

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #253 of 823
I emailed jian... he emailed back in like 3 mins... crazy fast
heres his response:

Hi,
We could offer 336i for you after several days. I don't know why the echo1
got hum voice, in fact, the hum is due to the new tube,not the amp.
Thank you !
JianLiu

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #254 of 823
I was one of those taken by the DarkVoice at the Dallas meet this weekend - for $300 - are you kidding me? With the 6sn7 rolling possibilities, this is sweet. Were that this had been a possibility a few years back, but, along with the laconic EC-01, this is truly a great time for glass headphone audio.

These sounded great with the recabled Senn 600 and the L3000 (shock!). Were I not already tubed up, I'd go this way, no question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back