Darkvoice 3322 for HD650s? Or is there something better available for $400?
Mar 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone compare this DV vs the LD MK IV SE ?

I've had both in the past - the DV has way more power. The LD is more neutral in its presentation. But you can dial in your preferred tonality by rolling the appropriate tubes for either amp

Either one will no doubt power your HD's well, but the DV to me has a deeper power reserve. so on difficult passages, the DV is able to deliver power better.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimrod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first post here having been slowly researching this for a while.

One thing's for certain: the Senn's are on their way from J&R. Eventually my plan is to build a headphone rig around my laptop, but budgeting constraints mean i have to take it one step at a time (sort of), so next i need an amp to power the 'phones around the best source i have available (Philips 963SA).

I've settled on the DV3322. At $400 it seems like a great deal, but I'm telling myself to be cautiously optimistic so as not to be disappointed with damaged packaging or lacklustre build/sound quality. Someone please tell me if i should be looking elsewhere. I haven't ever listened to a dedicated headphone amp, so i'm basing my decision on all that i've read through these hallowed forum pages!

The final purchase will be a DAC for the laptop. I can pick up a Stello DA100 Signature for $1200 (CAD) locally, and it seems to tick all of the right boxes for me. If anyone thinks i can get better synergy between source>amp>cans, I'd appreciate the input.

Cheers!

I have my eyes set on the Audiotailor Jade myself. I haven't read any reviews of DV or Woo that made me say, I gotta hear it like Skylab's Jade review. Believe it's only $350 shipped. I also much prefer the look of Audiotailor's Jade over DV and Woo amps in my budget range by a lot. Just looks a lot more refined, and sleek and seems to have the sound to match.

The Jade has begun shipping and soon in the coming weeks there will be more reviews for it! Very exciting!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-389381/

Is your $400 price including shipping? Is so where do you plan to get it, cause at that price I may be tempted also! Lowest price I've seen are from Head-Direct at $449, their prices include shipping I believe. Audiophile China being $480 with shipping.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your $400 price including shipping? Is so where do you plan to get it, cause at that price I may be tempted also! Lowest price I've seen are from Head-Direct at $449, their prices include shipping I believe. Audiophile China being $480 with shipping.

I think Head-direct s $449 + $80 shipping to the US. I'm also interested in where you find it for $400.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 24
I didn't include shipping when i quoted $400. Boyier and audiophilechina were both selling at that price, but i haven't checked back in a few days.

I've received the HD650's and am burning them in using the Taralabs Cascade Noise disc. It's a hellish noise, but i've read good things about it so we'll see how things sound at the 50 hour mark. Initial impressions of the 'phones were pretty good. I have my father's (already broken-in) HD540 Golds to compare them against, and the 650's weren't a million miles away straight from the box. They certainly lacked the detail of the 540's initially, but i expect that to come with time.

System planning update. In a word: balanced. I've just bought a Stephan Arts Audio Equinox balanced cable from Head-Fi'er decur. It seemed to be a good price and since the time of originally posting I've read enough about only getting the most out of the 650's if driven balanced that my plans had to change. For now I'm going to continue breaking in the 650's single ended through my Cambridge Audio Azur 540r amp. The balanced cable will be waiting on the sidelines until i can afford either the Headroom Balanced Desktop or Rudistor NX-33. The DAC may have to wait until 2010!

The balanced cable is yet to arive (stuck at Canadian customs), but i'll add that dealing with decur has been an excellent experience thus far. My biggest concern is how long i'll be able to sit on the SAA cable before pulling the trigger on a balanced amp to make use of them!

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 24
Solo SRG Headphone Amplifier: Solo Studio Reference Green Headphone Amplifier

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ot-mkv-383033/

Hope I wont confuse matters by including these two options. I'm in Ireland so the Slee Solo Green would be under the equivalent of 400 USD for me but may be more in the States. I got a quote of just over 400 USD for the Audio GD including delivery from China so it would probably be much the same to the US. Only problem would be customs charges which might apply. I have the Heed Canamp and I had almost decided on the DV 3322 as an upgrade for my HD 650's but then I read about these two. Would anyone have an opinion on which is best between the three?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back