Darkest Desires Part V
May 20, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #1,891 of 2,645
sad about peter leaving opeth. personally, i love opeth, but there are just some songs from the earlier albums that still haven't been matched. **** like "To Bid You Farewell" and "The Apostle In Triumph" are works of genius. i want that opeth back. also, Damnation was pretty damn average, i think opeth's best clean vocal songs are stuff like "Still Day Beneath The Sun" and the aforementioned "To Bid You Farewell", not boring stuff like "In My Time Of Need".

edit: i guess what i'm saying is, i like the atmospehric "wall of sound" opeth a lot.

May 20, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #1,892 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DA, I'm interested in your Dimmu Borgir commentary, as in a ranking of their albums and the stand out tracks. Too many albums have been neglected if I wasn't struck immediately and I'm revisiting many, Dimmu and others, with positive results.

EDT 10/10
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is a masterwork of the genre, every freaking song is great and Shagrath's vocals are at thier peak here. Opening track "mourning palace" is great as is every track.

Stormblast 9/10 (re-issued and recorded in modern sound)
Doesn't quite have the impact of EDT and is more atmospheric in style, too bad reissue does not contain Devil's Path EP from some period, what classic dark metal that is very good sounds like

PEM & SBD 8/10
These are solid Dimmu in albums the classic style with no obvious attempts to appeal to masses, rock hard and have sharp edge, Shaggy's vocals still good but past thier prime EDT era.

DCA & For all Tid 7/10
Dimmu sound begins to be commercially diluted with DCA, Shaggy's vocals continue decline, clean vocals by Vortrex further soften the image and water down the effect.

Debut is just a pale shadow of what was to come with EDT, very atmospheric but not enough sinister edge yet.

ISD 6/10
Continues the decline from DCA, no new ideas just an inferior rehash of DCA material, as said before in this thread Galder is put to better use in his own band Old Man's Child which is now putting out better stuff than Dimmu, how the mighty have fallen...........

May 20, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #1,894 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sad about peter leaving opeth. personally, i love opeth, but there are just some songs from the earlier albums that still haven't been matched. **** like "To Bid You Farewell" and "The Apostle In Triumph" are works of genius. i want that opeth back. also, Damnation was pretty damn average, i think opeth's best clean vocal songs are stuff like "Still Day Beneath The Sun" and the aforementioned "To Bid You Farewell", not boring stuff like "In My Time Of Need".

TM
I am with you 100%.......Damnation is very average to put it mildly, don't forget great clean vocal tracks like "face of melinda" from Still Life, nothing on Damnation comes close..........

CA
Thanks for looking up background on band Bloodbath, looks like Swano and Akerfeldt must know each other pretty well, I think many dark metal musicians in Nordic countries know each other since they are always jamming with each other working in side bands together

May 21, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #1,896 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel102 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fyi swano also produced orchid and morningrise. perhaps you already knew that though?

Didn't know that........but Swano is like the Kevin Bacon of dark metal, he has done so much with so many people that there always seems to be some connection that leads to back to him

May 21, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #1,897 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDT 10/10
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is a masterwork of the genre, every freaking song is great and Shagrath's vocals are at thier peak here. Opening track "mourning palace" is great as is every track.

Doesn't quite have the impact of EDT and is more atmospheric in style, too bad reissue does not contain Devil's Path EP from some period, what classic dark metal that is very good sounds like

PEM & SBD 8/10
These are solid Dimmu in albums the classic style with no obvious attempts to appeal to masses, rock hard and have sharp edge, Shaggy's vocals still good but past thier prime EDT era.

DCA & For all Tid 7/10
Dimmu sound begins to be commercially diluted with DCA, Shaggy's vocals continue decline, clean vocals by Vortrex further soften the image and water down the effect.

Debut is just a pale shadow of what was to come with EDT, very atmospheric but not enough sinister edge yet.

ISD 6/10
Continues the decline from DCA, no new ideas just an inferior rehash of DCA material, as said before in this thread Galder is put to better use in his own band Old Man's Child which is now putting out better stuff than Dimmu, how the mighty have fallen...........

Honestly, I never really have found EDT _that_ great. I dunno, maybe because I never had a real "wow" effect with Dimmu. Their music just slowly started growing on me, and in a process of few years, I really started to dig them. That happened during the PEM/DCA era, even though I was listening at their full catalogue (except För All Tid). PEM was really, really hard to get in to at first, as it was somehow a bit fatiguing to listen to. In a way a bit like Enslaved - Mardraum. It must have taken over an year from the moment I first heard those albums to the point where I liked them as a whole.

However, DCA was an instant hit for me. Maybe because it was a bit easier to get into than PEM, and also a bit more ambitious in experimentation. Back then, DCA felt like the best Dimmu album. Nowadays I'm not sure which one is the best.

EDT has without the doubt the best vocals and some immortal melodies/phrases in lyrics, but I find it a bit too repetive. Mourning Palace is a track I never seem to have the patience to listen all the way through. Just jumping to tracks 2,3,8 and the bonus track from Godless Savage Garden. Spiritual Black Dimensions is kind of EDT on steroids, and is a bit over the top. It also suffers from bad production. It's nice, but doesn't quite have the lasting appeal of EDT. While PEM and DCA aren't as "instantly catchy" as EDT, they just feel musically more diverse and ambitious, and overall more "serious". In Sorte Diaboli is a bit of an enigma. Compared to previous 2-3 albums, it lacks ambition and content. Only ~45 minutes and limited use of orchestra/melodies/choirs etc. Still, it has some really, really nice riffs and solid tracks. Maybe not an advancement from previous albums, but definetly worth more than 6/10 IMO.

May 30, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,898 of 2,645
Quote:

ISD 6/10

Last week or so pulled out my Galder/Old Man's Child collection, I have all albums by OMC very consistently good work over long career. Just to make sure I was not too hard on Shaggy/Dimmu boys listen especially to most recent albums and alas they are much preferred to new Dimmu ISD album.

I am afraid the sun is setting on the Dimmu legacy......

May 30, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #1,899 of 2,645
Quote:

Last week or so pulled out my Galder/Old Man's Child collection, I have all albums by OMC very consistently good work over long career. Just to make sure I was not too hard on Shaggy/Dimmu boys listen especially to most recent albums and alas they are much preferred to new Dimmu ISD album.

I am afraid the sun is setting on the Dimmu legacy......

I haven't listened at all to OMC after Pagan Prosperity. Seems like I should... Too bad those more recent OMC albums are always at full price ~18-20e. I wonder why mid-price never reaches the darkest metal. It's expensive to buy full catalogues from bands like Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor etc, opposed to stuff like In Flames, CoB, Sentenced, Opeth etc, which have all their older albums sale for ~7e.

I just listened to In Flames - Colony for the first time in ages, and it clearly reminded me why new melodeath albums just can't do it for me. The old stuff from IF, CoB and DT is just _SO_ far better than any new similar stuff in the last 5 years.

May 30, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #1,900 of 2,645
Wow. Totally wasn't expecting Peter to leave Opeth. They seemed like two guys who would be playing together into their golden years...Very unfortunate. Being a musician myself, I would expect some major changes in the style that the music will go. Unless Mikael is going to direct every riff, lead, and solo, there will be some big changes in style. I personally dont mind changes as long as the essence of the band is still there. I seem to be one of the few on here who not only appreciates Opeth's older material, but also loves Ghost Reveries. I mean what a progression from their early material (which while excellent is obviously immature) to Ghost Reveries. I respect them for advancing themselves so much. Anyway, I wish Mikael and the rest of Opeth the best and hope they continue to make quality music.

May 31, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #1,901 of 2,645
Quote:

EDT 10/10

PEM & SBD 8/10

DCA & For all Tid 7/10

ISD 6/10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDT has without the doubt the best vocals and some immortal melodies/phrases in lyrics, but I find it a bit too repetive. Mourning Palace is a track I never seem to have the patience to listen all the way through. Just jumping to tracks 2,3,8 and the bonus track from Godless Savage Garden. Spiritual Black Dimensions is kind of EDT on steroids, and is a bit over the top. It also suffers from bad production. It's nice, but doesn't quite have the lasting appeal of EDT. While PEM and DCA aren't as "instantly catchy" as EDT, they just feel musically more diverse and ambitious, and overall more "serious". In Sorte Diaboli is a bit of an enigma. Compared to previous 2-3 albums, it lacks ambition and content. Only ~45 minutes and limited use of orchestra/melodies/choirs etc. Still, it has some really, really nice riffs and solid tracks. Maybe not an advancement from previous albums, but definetly worth more than 6/10 IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't listened at all to OMC after Pagan Prosperity. Seems like I should... Too bad those more recent OMC albums are always at full price ~18-20e. I wonder why mid-price never reaches the darkest metal. It's expensive to buy full catalogues from bands like Burzum, Mayhem, Emperor etc, opposed to stuff like In Flames, CoB, Sentenced, Opeth etc, which have all their older albums sale for ~7e.

I just listened to In Flames - Colony for the first time in ages, and it clearly reminded me why new melodeath albums just can't do it for me. The old stuff from IF, CoB and DT is just _SO_ far better than any new similar stuff in the last 5 years.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them...sorry for my delay. It's pretty ridiculous that I can have some CDs on the shelf for a few years and barely get around to give them a genuinely proper listen but that's the case with my Dimmu. And now that I do indulge I get so hooked on a particular song such as 'In Death's Embrace' from EDT, 'Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny' from PEM or even 'The Foreshadowing Furnace' from ISD that the rest of the CD is relatively unknown. I like this though and all of my past favorites were unfolded one song at a time.

Right now I have DB at the top of my preferred styles of metal. I took a look again at DA's top 50 list and it's interesting how different from each other are the bands at the top, although some I haven't heard. DA, which bands in your list are closest to Dimmu in style? Also, in getting back to giving a proper listen I do feel foolish at how quickly I dismissed bands like Carpathian Forest those years ago. I still can't much tolerate too slow doom or too lengthy prog and have to stick with the Dimmu, Darkthone, Satyricon types.

How is that last My Dying Bride release?

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #1,902 of 2,645
Quote:

How is that last My Dying Bride release?

Very good.......MDB is no longer a pure doom style like the early "Swan & Angel" albums, last three albums

Line of Deathless Kings
Songs of Darkness
Dreadful Hours

are more a melodic death/doom hybrid, still keeps old fans faithful and broadens sound more to attract new fans......I would get these

Dimmu Bogir fans would like:
Old Mans Child (featuring Dimmu guitarist Galder)
Dissection
Vinterland
Emperor
Carpathian Forest
Marduk
Taake
Ragnarock
Thyrane

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #1,904 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The End has Elend "A World in Their Screams" in stock.

Thanks for the heads up. I very much look forward to this in lossless form. From what I have heard, this might be up there with The Umbersun, but in a different way. I am going to have fun dissecting this one...

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #1,905 of 2,645
Quote:

Very good.......MDB is no longer a pure doom style like the early "Swan & Angel" albums, last three albums

Line of Deathless Kings
Songs of Darkness
Dreadful Hours

are more a melodic death/doom hybrid, still keeps old fans faithful and broadens sound more to attract new fans......I would get these

Dimmu Bogir fans would like:
Old Mans Child (featuring Dimmu guitarist Galder)
Dissection
Vinterland
Emperor
Carpathian Forest
Marduk
Taake
Ragnarock
Thyrane

Thanks, I'll get that MDB. When they shift gears and step on the gas, they're pretty great.
I've got everything by Emperor and enough of Dissection. Come to think of it, there isn't any band of any genre that sounds very much like another....unless it's one of those truly awful things like boy bands *shudder*

I'll get some Old Man's Child. I like Galder a lot and I think I recall Mr.PD (lost in the wilds of Oregon!) mentioning them and we had similar taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back