Darkest Desires Part V
May 4, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #1,861 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and Matt I'll try and get your CD out Monday, have still been really sick and bed confined
frown.gif

No problem. Hope you get better
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I am "sampling" the new Elend album right now.... will post impressions as soon as I begin to drink it in
wink.gif

May 7, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #1,863 of 2,645
Quote:

I'm going to fill the missing gaps of 'For All Tid', 'Godless Savage Garden' and 'Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia'.

I picked up the latter two today as well as the new Mayhem release Ordo Ad Chao. When I picked it up from the rack in HMV it was cold and I thought "this must have just arrived from outside....but it's warm outside." Upon closer inspection I realized that the CD is in a metal slipcase! It's figuratively and literally cool. I'm in the middle of a hard drive contents swap so haven't given it a proper speakers listen, just a quicky on 'phones.

Weird, very dissonant, semi-abstract, atmospheric doomy opening, potentially very good, potentially really terrible. Very different from Chimera, which was a bit of a speed fest at times. Attila sounds much as he did on De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and I'm quite sure that would have been their intention. This is an attempt to return to that place. Although I just flew through it I didn't hear any of the catchy instrument or vocal phrasing to be found on the classic. I'll give it its due later.

May 9, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #1,864 of 2,645
Just got my copy of Elend - A World In Their Screams

This stuff is pure top notch Elend. Disturbing as hell!
basshead.gif

It continues the tradition of Winds-saga, but kind of uses more classical orchestration and overall orchestral sound than more ambient like Sunwar the Dead. However musically this album is really abstract. Pure psychedelia. I'm not a big fan of the spoken french parts, but otherwise this stuff is amazing. Boree has to be one of the most disturbing tracks ever. The opener is really scary as well.

One minor gripe though. The last track goes blank during the last 30 seconds. Faulty disc or something?

Edit: Now after listening the album through with thought, I'm pretty surprised to find out that this is a completely instrumental album. There are no sung vocals at all, except a few lines of female vocals in the first track. There are some spoken parts in french though, which sound a bit out of place at times. Not only is this album instrumental, but it's also really ambient. No easy melodies or song structures. Just playing around with all kinds of sound and noise. Everything from classical orchestra to synths, distorted screams and distant voices. If Winds Devouring Men was sad and depressive and Sunwar The Dead was intense and disturbing, A World In Their Screams is haunting and dreamlike. The tracks I first listened to, were quite orchestral, but this album has a lot of tracks that sound more like experimental electronic music. Stuff like Stockhausen etc.

If you liked the two previous Winds-saga albums, you will like this as well and vice versa. This most likely won't appeal to fans of older, more symphonic style. This is dark orchestral ambient at it's best.

May 10, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #1,865 of 2,645
Ive actually been enjoying the FIRST DISC of Therion's new Gothic Kabbala quite a bit. Its been on my playlist a lot lately. I haven't given the 2nd disc my undivided attention yet so I cant really comment on that. But the first disc is solid. Catchy melodies, great female and male vocals and choral work.

May 11, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #1,868 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YESSSSSS!!!!!

Just got tickets to see Virgin Black in Hollywood at the Knitting Factory on July 8th. Should be a hell of a show. I can't wait!!! \m/

Tell Samantha you're the guy I bought an extra CD for if you get to meet them :p

May 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #1,869 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, i just got To-Mera, what a great band, love the little jazz breakdowns too and their time signatures, any other bands similar in this vain?

The bass player said three of their prime influences were Madder Mortem, Atrox and Aghora.

May 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #1,870 of 2,645
Anyhow, I just got back from Melbourne from my two gigs!

The first night was good. "Pentemple" (Sunn O))), Striborg and Attila from Mayhem) doing a drone jam with black metal sampling, a taste of what we were to hear the following night.

Second night at the Hifi Bar and Ballroom, Melbourne.
Boris and Sunn O)))

Boris were up first, they had about a 90 minute set.
First up they played one of their 45 minute long Jam albums called Feedbacker (one track), and then moved onto a track from Amplifier Worship (their doom metal album) and then various tracks from the Pink album and then finally finished up with Blood Swamp from the Sunn O))) & Boris collaboration album, Altar.
WHAT A ****ING SHOW!!! These guys are by far the most FUN live act I have seen. They are a 3-piece Japanese band that do various styles of music from Drone/Doom to Stoner and Punk Rock. They have a female lead guitarist, she is about 5'2"; tank top and jeans wielding a Gibson Les Paul and OMG she can play! The riffs and solos she can pull off are freaking nuts, easily one of the best guitarists I have heard.
I think nearly everyone who had never heard of Boris before that was at that gig walked away thinking "O_O I just saw an amazing chick guitarist, am I really that stoned?"
Their other 'guitarist' wielded one of those guitars with the guitar and bass strings on it (like a double guitar) and he proceeded to switch back and forth between guitar and bass throughout the tracks with skill and fire.
And their drummer is one crazy son of a gun. I have never seen such a pumped, excited, happy look on the face of a musician when playing their instrument, this guy was literally the king of the drummer face. He was quite a good drummer as well, has his own style, very simple kit, just the one bass drum, snare, floor tom, a rack tom, a crash and a high hat. He was always chanting to himself and shouting out YEAH YEAH YEAH and COME ON and screaming away to the songs and when he wasn't drumming he would JUMP out of his kit and vocalize the crowd and get people's hands in the air.
After each song they played I swear I had never screamed praise as loud and serious "YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" at the top of my lungs
biggrin.gif

Sunn O))) came on about 30 minutes later. Dressed in deep hooded cloaks and brandishing wine bottles as they walked on stage (lol). Sin Nanna from Striborg surprisingly also performing with them. The stage was a mass of amps and speakers, a massive ring wall for the three guitars. Sin Nanna started with some samples and Attila Csihar with some very monastic like vocals, and then the first guitar chords were struck ... and the doors of perception were ripped off their hinges and sucked into a black hole. The whole building began to shake and hum, my entire body began to feel the vibrations ripple through me. The droning began. And this was definitely the loudest, heaviest, bassiest thing I have ever experienced, I found it immensely peaceful, the waves of feedback and sonic noise caressing my ears and the sheer power of the vibrations pulsating through my body ... Then they turned on their laser machine and dry ice machines and all the cool lights ....
biggrin.gif

Most people there were stoned, on acid, magic mushrooms or a combination of the three, so it would have been a pretty warped experience for them. I also pity the poor souls without earplugs, they must be very deaf by now.
It's kind of impossible to describe what it is like to be at a Sunn O))) gig, but if you ever get the opportunity I really do suggest going along.
An hour and forty five minutes of the heaviest, loudest form of meditation music
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #1,871 of 2,645
Quote:

Sounds like it was a great time. Are you, by chance, aware of the band Moonn D)))? Hahaha... I have no idea how good or bad they are, as I haven't heard them... but the name makes me laugh.

As for Boris... I've only heard Akuma No Uta, and I don't recall liking it very much. I should probably pick up more of their stuff though, for no reason other than the fact that we share names
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
The bass player said three of their prime influences were Madder Mortem, Atrox and Aghora.

Damn... sounds like a mandatory listen. I'll be checking out To-Mera, I think.

May 11, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #1,872 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it was a great time. Are you, by chance, aware of the band Moonn D)))? Hahaha... I have no idea how good or bad they are, as I haven't heard them... but the name makes me laugh.

Yes I have heard of them, haven't downloaded any of their stuff though.

Boris are very good, Akuma No Uta has one of their best tracks IMO (Anno Ona No Onryou) despite having a rather demo-like sound. You might like to try Heavy Rocks (balls out stoner rock/metal), Pink (like a 'best of' mix of styles) or Feedbacker (45 minute mellow jam song).
It was the second track of Heavy Rocks, Korosu that got me into the band, after hearing that I said to myself "yep, this band is officially awesome"

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn... sounds like a mandatory listen. I'll be checking out To-Mera, I think.

Yeah you should enjoy them. They take the female vocal metal thing and add a few more different influences such as technical hardcore, classical piano and whatnot that you usually don't find in such bands. A few of their songs are quite late Dream Theater-like. I personally didn't get into the CD that much, I would rather opt for a listen of any of the bands they are influenced by, however others were very impressed by them.

May 11, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #1,873 of 2,645
Sounds like fun to live in Sydney or Melbourne Australia, urban/cultural enough to have cool underground scence and then have all the cool natural elements and good weather........put a shrimp on the barbie mate

When I lived in Chicago from 1980-92 I could see almost any group around in many cool bars and clubs like Enverxis is doing now

I may have to check into Boris and SunO))) I have plenty of Isis and similar groups but the drone style may be too much for me

Enverxis
Do you hook up with any ladies like the camera girl from previous concert?
(I suspect there was a slim selection at this type of concert)

May 12, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #1,874 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Enverxis
Do you hook up with any ladies like the camera girl from previous concert?
(I suspect there was a slim selection at this type of concert)

I haven't hooked up with any metal girls yet!
The girls I have hooked up with so far are generally listeners of bands like AFI, HIM, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails etc (and i've not met them at gigs)
'Camera girl' (aka Karen) actually has a boyfriend in Norway from when she went over there (that's the reason she likes our music). But she went with me to both of these gigs
biggrin.gif

I shall post another photo of us standing in front of Striborg's keyboard stuff

There have been actually quite a few girls going to the gigs i've been to, at this one there were a mix of the goth, metal and indie types (because Boris and Sunn O))) also attract the indie types)

May 12, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #1,875 of 2,645
Quote:

yeah, i'm going to check those out, i've heard of aghora, but the rest are a little new to me, also checked out some other things as well...i've been listening to to-mera every day
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back