Darkest Desires Part V
Apr 28, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #1,846 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is music very similar that is hundreds of years old........a classical requiem mass. Mozart, Verdi etc with much larger groups of singers using top orchestras done in spectacular sound quality, that is why I hesitate to be fully excited by Mezzo, I can just listen to any of my Requiems by the master composers.

True, but if you extend that argument a bit further, Opeth would be the only thing I would listen to when I wanted progressive metal. Besides, I think the electric guitar and metal arrangements add so much to the album. No doubt that classic requiems are awesome, but the two do not really compare.

Edit: Dang, I totally forgot that Dark Tranquility released a new album. Gonna go check it out...

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #1,847 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks eyeteeth for the interview find. Have you had a chance to hear the album yet?

No. I listened again to samples available from the official website (I know that doesn't seem to do justice) and this post-metal isn't where I'm at now. Whether the genre is Motown or metal I'm seeking vitality much more than the ornate and adorned.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #1,848 of 2,645
Quote:

True, but if you extend that argument a bit further, Opeth would be the only thing I would listen to when I wanted progressive metal. Besides, I think the electric guitar and metal arrangements add so much to the album. No doubt that classic requiems are awesome, but the two do not really compare.

I kind of agree with this. Yes, mezzo-forte is a rather small scale work/production compared to the classic requiems, but the use of dark metal instrumentation and themes is something that makes mezzo-forte sound new and unique. It's like having the best of both worlds.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #1,849 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of agree with this. Yes, mezzo-forte is a rather small scale work/production compared to the classic requiems, but the use of dark metal instrumentation and themes is something that makes mezzo-forte sound new and unique. It's like having the best of both worlds.

I agree with Nacher on this. I don't view mezzo-forte as being a part of the world of classic requiems, but rather a fusion of musical types that very much belongs more to dark metal than classical.

Picked up some Sepultura this weekend. The remastered version of Chaos A.D. and the Deluxe Edition of Roots. I used to have Arise and Beneath the Remains years ago on cassette, but I don't remember ever having Chaos A.D. and Roots before. Looking forward to having a few minutes to check them out.

May 1, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #1,850 of 2,645
I've got a special treat coming up next week

Sunn O))) presents: PENTEMPLE
Quote:

Featuring: GREG ANDERSON (of Sunn 0))), Goatsnake, Burial Chamber Trio), STEPHEN O'MALLEY (of Sunn 0))), KTL, Khanate, Gravetemple), OREN AMBARCHI (of Touch records, Gravetemple, Burial Chamber Trio), ATTILA CSIHAR (of Mayhem, Tormentor, Aborym, Gravetemple, Burial Chamber Trio), SIN NANNA (aka STRIBORG). As you will know, US doom-drone behemoth SUNN 0))) will be performing a HUGE must-see show together with Japanese monsters BORIS at the Hi-fi Bar on Wednesday 9th May. However we are pleased to announce a Melbourne-only intimate 'improv' show that will include collaborations with members of black metal legends Mayhem and Striborg! This show will be completely different to the Hi-fi show and strictly limited to capacity in the lush surrounds of Melbourne's newest venue The Toff in Town on Tuesday 8th May. This ritual will feature the first public appearance of Tasmania's Sin Nanna aka STRIBORG, making a special & rare live collaboration with Attila Csihar, (legendary vocalist of Mayhem), Aussie avant-maverick Oren Ambarchi, and Greg Anderson & Stephen O'Malley of Sunn 0))). Blackened low-end psychedelics not for the faint hearted - a one-time event not to be missed!!!

This will probably be Striborg's only ever live appearance.

and then the night after, Sunn O))) & Boris
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't know if anyone here has their collaboration album Altar but it's worth checking out, Droney/Ambient Metal stuff.

May 1, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #1,852 of 2,645
FYI: I think the end has a few copies of LVTHN - Sentinel Hill left.

Quote:

What..........where did you get that, I haven't seen it anywhere.......

A few have been sold on Ebay over the past month or so.

May 3, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #1,853 of 2,645
Today I picked up:

Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
Summoning - Oathbound
Striborg - Nefaria - A Tragic Journey Towards the Light

I only had the dimmu cd in mp3 so now i got an actual copy of that and I had a flac rip of the summoning cd but didnt actually own it...now i do.

Decided to try out the striborg cd since he worked with the guys from sunn O))) on Black One. Havent given it its due attention yet but from what I've heard its incredibly dark and moody.

May 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #1,854 of 2,645
Stopped by JB Hi-Fi in Perth, Australia today... picked these up -

The Ocean - Aeolian
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Dysrhythmia - Barriers and Passages
Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur
Virgin Black - Requiem - Mezzo Forte
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery
Opeth - Still Life

Should provide some good listening.

May 4, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #1,855 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Virgin Black - Requiem - Mezzo Forte
Opeth - Still Life

Should provide some good listening.

The next month of your life will be owned by these two, I promise...

Edit: I have tried Dark Tranquility's new album Fiction, and it's okay. It does not grab me like Character or Damage Done. I will keep at it and see if it grows on me...

May 4, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #1,856 of 2,645
Quote:

The next month of your life will be owned by these two, I promise...

Perhaps, but all I can say right now is that this Anaal Nathrakh disc is ridiculously amazing. It's like... a mixture of black metal and grindcore punctuated by sweeping flights of melodicism and held together by abnormally crisp production.

Intense stuff.

May 4, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #1,857 of 2,645
asmox might find the Virgin Black a bit slow, however he should get into Still Life.

anyhow for US Virgin Black fans

Quote:

VIRGIN BLACK touring North America in June/July

Australia's VIRGIN BLACK will tour North America in June and July this year.

Some confirmed shows have been announced...more to come.

In a posting from Virgin Black singer/songwriter Rowan London, he says, "It's been four years since our minor but magnificent U.S. tour with Agalloch and Antimatter and it seems it's long overdue for Virgin Black to return. This time we shall not be so stingy with dates and will visit the US, Canada and Mexico. Beginning with shows in Canada and the US Northeast in mid-June, we'll then play three shows in Mexico before the band joins up with Finland's To/Die/For on June 26th and subsequently visit many a locale."

Further confirmed dates/venues will be announced in the coming weeks.

and Matt I'll try and get your CD out Monday, have still been really sick and bed confined
frown.gif

May 4, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #1,858 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I picked up:

Summoning - Oathbound
Striborg - Nefaria - A Tragic Journey Towards the Light

Nothing really need be said about Dimmu EDT..........a masterwork

Oathbound is cool and one of many good albums by Summoning, I think one of the songs is done in ancient middle earth Orc language........not that you can tell since the distorted vocal technique makes all words a cryptic tome.

Quote:

Perhaps, but all I can say right now is that this Anaal Nathrakh disc is ridiculously amazing. It's like... a mixture of black metal and grindcore punctuated by sweeping flights of melodicism and held together by abnormally crisp production.

I have one older album by Anaal Nathrakh "Total *****ing Necro" the title sums up album pretty well, don't listen to it much just too frantic and brutal for my tastes........no enjoyment factor.

May 4, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #1,859 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I played this today for the first time in a long time and what a stinkingly good record it is. Sometimes my fault finding distracts me from the virtues of a work and there are so many things to like about this work and this band. The pace, styling and vocal delivery are actually right on the money for my preferences. And I think I do now prefer the theatrical over the political. Not that I ever took some of the extreme political views seriously for a second. I just think the theatrical makes for better art. I only have the two Stormblast, EDT, SBD, DCA and the latest. I'm going to fill the missing gaps of 'For All Tid', 'Godless Savage Garden' and 'Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia'.

May 4, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #1,860 of 2,645
Quote:

Nothing really need be said about Dimmu EDT..........a masterwork

What is remarkable is that only one year separates Stormbast (1996) from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997). This is something I had forgotten about while listening to them back to back today. Based on just listening you'd think there was a five year gap or more. Quite the leap forward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back