Darkest Desires Part V
Feb 16, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #2,176 of 2,645
Well I couldn't wait for the cd to get here so I downloaded Requiem: Fortissimo. I can't wait to give it a proper listening to. Will report back.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #2,177 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I couldn't wait for the cd to get here so I downloaded Requiem: Fortissimo. I can't wait to give it a proper listening to. Will report back.

I too couldn't wait... It didn't disappoint!

Looking forward to picking the CD up as soon as it's available.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #2,178 of 2,645
Fortissimo, upon my first listen, is a bit of a letdown for me. Rowan is a GOD when he sings cleanly, but his death vox leaves a bit to be desired. Since the album was 100% death vox, I was bummed from the getgo. The part that kinda surprised me was the amount of recurring pieces of music, and while amazingly constructed on Mezzo Forte, it was a bit stale on Fortissimo. Don't get me wrong, I am sure this album will grow on me, but my first impression is this album would greatly benefit from clean vocals and more original material.

Of course, none of my impressions will matter really until I listen to all three albums as one piece. Then I will really understand their intentions...

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #2,179 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, none of my impressions will matter really until I listen to all three albums as one piece. Then I will really understand their intentions...

I love the repetition between Mezzo Forte and Fortissimo. While I think hearing all three pieces will help, listening to the two available now, one right after the other, already adds up to one hell of an experience. MF gets progressively heavier throughout, and F seems to be the perfect extension of that. I think the carry over of female vox early in the album acts as a great bridge to the heavier sound with death vox only. Though I do have to admit that I found the death vox to be a little "thin" sounding, and more "raspy" than they were when used in MF, and as a result, I didn't care for them quite as much.

To my ears, Mezzo Forte will always be the best stand-alone album of the three because of its balance being the middle piece. And I do feel OK saying that without hearing Pianissimo. But taken in its entirety, I think Requiem will quite a feat. And I'm looking forward to seeing how P leads into MF.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #2,180 of 2,645
I will get the new Virgin Black CD when released, not concerned about sampling since they are consistently good in thier work.......

New Opeth CD I will possibly wait to see if yourmusic.com eventually sells it for $6.99, or maybe Best Buy will have a sale during first week of release.

Nothing new to report..........I have given my strong approval of new Arch Enemy and Amorphis CDs recently but nothing new added since and can't find any older classic dark metal I need to acquire or have overlooked.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #2,181 of 2,645
Diogenes
Were you able to try any of the Mastodon CDs yet........Isis fans should not hesitate to get them.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #2,182 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diogenes
Were you able to try any of the Mastodon CDs yet........Isis fans should not hesitate to get them.
tongue.gif

I am waiting to move before buying any more music, but they are on the radar.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #2,183 of 2,645
Quote:

Diogenes
tongue.gif

I am coming from the other direction, I am a big fan of Mastadon, and poked around a big online, ISIS sounds interesting. Which of their albums is a good place to start?

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #2,184 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am coming from the other direction, I am a big fan of Mastadon, and poked around a big online, ISIS sounds interesting. Which of their albums is a good place to start?

Hi Scott
I would go with three most recent albums in this order:
Isis - Oceanic
Isis - Absence of Truth
Isis - Panopticon

Isis is more progressive sounding than Mastodon, but you will hear the same general style.
The band Neurosis actually sounds closer to Mastodon, check thier classic album "Through Silver In Blood"

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2,185 of 2,645
Quote:

Nothing new to report..........I have given my strong approval of new Arch Enemy and Amorphis CDs recently but nothing new added since and can't find any older classic dark metal I need to acquire or have overlooked.

Primordial - Nameless Dead 2007
Primordial - Gathering Wilderness 2005
Primordial - Storm Before Calm 2002
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame 2000

I forgot another CD I recently got that sounds great was new Primordial "Nameless Dead" This group just keeps getting better, sound is somewhat like middle period Katatonia, very atmospheric often mid tempo with a dense droning style often used. They have older albums from 1990s but I never liked them much, that changed with 2000 "spirit" album, best two CDs are the two newest.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #2,187 of 2,645
Virgin Black's (Requiem Fortissimo) is by far the greatest and best album they have produced imo, it is very heavy, i like the death vocals, i don't care for the clean vocals in previous albums, so that's my take
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #2,189 of 2,645
I want more doom metal. I absolutely adore Worship and diSEMBOWELMENT, and already know most of the obvious ones, in addition to Skepticism, Esoteric, Ceremonium, Thergothon, blagh blagh. Any more under-the-radar recommendations?

In addition, I'm looking for more great 21st century black metal. S.V.E.S.T. - Urfaust is probably the best I've heard. Paysage d'Hiver is pretty good, I'm in love with Spirit of Earth Aflame, Averse Sefira is alright... just recommend anything.

For anyone seeking some obscure death metal, get yourself some Timeghoul for amazing Midwestern spacey death metal or Damnation for a great Morbid Angel-ish Polish band that'll make you forget Vader or Behemoth or whatever ever existed.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #2,190 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want more doom metal. I absolutely adore Worship and diSEMBOWELMENT, and already know most of the obvious ones, in addition to Skepticism, Esoteric, Ceremonium, Thergothon, blagh blagh. Any more under-the-radar recommendations?

In addition, I'm looking for more great 21st century black metal. S.V.E.S.T. - Urfaust is probably the best I've heard. Paysage d'Hiver is pretty good, I'm in love with Spirit of Earth Aflame, Averse Sefira is alright... just recommend anything.

For anyone seeking some obscure death metal, get yourself some Timeghoul for amazing Midwestern spacey death metal or Damnation for a great Morbid Angel-ish Polish band that'll make you forget Vader or Behemoth or whatever ever existed.

I have very small doom metal collection, especially very slow funeral style so can't help much there

21st century black metal????
Hard for any new band to revisit the classic style of the early 1990s and not sound like a weak clone.......but I have bought recent stuff by Taake, Watain, and Deathspell Omega. Most stuff now is some type of progressive hybrid style and not the pure necro black metal of the ancient ones.

Recent good buys in the more general dark metal catagory:
Amorphis - Silent Waters
Arch Enemy - Tyrant
Summoning - Oathbound
Primordial - Nameless Dead
Enslaved - Ruun
Dimmu Bogir - Diaboli
Vintersorg - Solens Rotter
Therion - Gothic Kabala

Users who are viewing this thread

Back