Darkest Desires Part V
Feb 25, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #1,711 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May be late to the game, but I really like Callisto - Noir. Very nice blend of laid back music with the more extreme stuff. The whole album flows very well. I also love that deep powerful guitar sound. Tony Iommi would be very proud. This one will be getting a lot of play time. I would say they are one of the best at creating a very successful balance of beautiful peace and heavy music.

I really admire Callisto, especially for their live performances. Even though Noir (and the previous album, True Nature Unfolds), are great, they are far from how massive Calliso sound live. Actually the only band that has combined mellower and heavier parts as succesfully in live situation has been Opeth. However, Opeth plays their songs pretty much in the same form as they are on albums, while Callisto seems to extend their songs a lot in live situations.

Definetly in my underrated bands top 10, which has following bands in no specific order :

Callisto, Ram-Zet, Amoral, Ava Inferi, Melechesh, Tenhi, Elend, Thyrane, Throes of Dawn and Rapture.

Almost on the list : Turisas, Åsmegin, Cryhavoc and The Wicked.

If you are unfamilar with one or more of those bands, I definetly suggest checking them out. You might some real gems in there.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #1,712 of 2,645
Just a thought here, have any of you guys ever tried maudlin of the Well ?

Progressive / Avantgarde Metal from the USA, now defunct band sort of (or moreso, changed name to Kayo Dot and changed style of music completely).

I've owned all of their albums for a year or so, I have to say this would probably be one of the most hidden gems that I have come across. All of their albums were on Dark Symphonies, who screwed them over I think.

Can pick up copies of their albums Bath and Leaving Your Body Map for $8 each, their debut My Fruit Psychobells is out of print, I am lucky to own a copy.

The music itself, can seem like an odd jumble of various styles on the first few listens but with concentration there is a flow to be found in their albums, a seamless transition of styles hidden in some astral pattern.
There are various things i've heard in this album that I've never heard before, and probably will never hear anywhere else.
Another thing that I admire about this band is their ability to create a really bizarre atmosphere, you listen to the music and you think of Burning Windmills in barren crop fields with a red hazy mist floating around (and various other random conjurations).
The vocal and instrumental performances are very good, every instrument is played really well and the vocals are excellent and varied. There are clean vocals, death grunts/black metal rasps, hardcore screams and female vocals. The clean vocals and hardcore screams give the feeling of angst, but then again the lyrical content is also, as I believe the band members were all around the age of 20-21 at the time (and well being from the same school as the guys from Killswitch Engage (crappy Metalcore band) you can understand).

The band really come into their element with their acoustic stuff, all four Interlude tracks include acoustic guitar duets / acoustic bass and perhaps some trumpet or percussion. The song Sleep is a Curse, from Leaving Your Body Map is also worth a mention. The notes they play are so simple, yet so good.

I recommend giving them a go if you like this kind of stuff, Nacher you might really enjoy it ?

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #1,713 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definetly in my underrated bands top 10, which has following bands in no specific order :

Callisto, Ram-Zet, Amoral, Ava Inferi, Melechesh, Tenhi, Elend, Thyrane, Throes of Dawn and Rapture.

Almost on the list : Turisas, Åsmegin, Cryhavoc and The Wicked.

Ásmegin is underrated? Could've fooled me. They've received more consistent and undying praise in a short amount of time than any other folk metal band that I can think of.

Now, under-exposed? Yes. SO GO LISTEN TO THEM!!!
rs1smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #1,714 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ásmegin is underrated? Could've fooled me. They've received more consistent and undying praise in a short amount of time than any other folk metal band that I can think of.

Now, under-exposed? Yes. SO GO LISTEN TO THEM!!!
rs1smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Well, I made no difference beetween underrated and under-exposed. Actually under-exposed is what I meant.. All of those bands have gotten rave reviews, but still quite a few people have ever listened to them.

Enverxis : I have heard so much good about Maudlin of the Well, that I eventually have to check them out. I just haven't bought any osbcure albums for ages, because I have been so low on cash that I have got the dough only for the "safe bets". Still, Maudlin of the Well and that Elend-like band you recommended (can't remember it's name, hehe) are on my definite to-buy-list.

Edit : If you ever see The Wicked - Sonic Scriptures of The End Times or Songs To Have Your Nightmares With, get it! It's one of the best weird/experimental dark metal albums out there, and almost no one has heard it, even though it's released by Spikefarm records. It features members from Moonsorrow/Fintroll/etc under fake names.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #1,715 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enverxis : I have heard so much good about Maudlin of the Well, that I eventually have to check them out. I just haven't bought any osbcure albums for ages, because I have been so low on cash that I have got the dough only for the "safe bets". Still, Maudlin of the Well and that Elend-like band you recommended (can't remember it's name, hehe) are on my definite to-buy-list.

Yeah, Dark Sanctuary. I know you'll enjoy them. Get back to me when you check 'em out
smily_headphones1.gif

Maudlin of the Well 'sample'

Dark Sanctuary 'sample'

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #1,716 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing that I admire about this band is their ability to create a really bizarre atmosphere, you listen to the music and you think of Burning Windmills in barren crop fields with a red hazy mist floating around (and various other random conjurations).

Very poetic decription...........a glimpse into the mind of Enverxis , he he

This does sound like a group Nacher should check out........

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #1,717 of 2,645
Now that i just noticed you have an AKG K701 listed in your profile DA, how does that sound with our Dark music ?

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #1,718 of 2,645
Quote:

I presume you are talking about track 8 on Leaving Your Body Map?
biggrin.gif
That is virtually the exact same picture I get in my head when listening to that track. I also happen to envision villagers getting burned alive in those fires you speak of, with an odd grainy effect distorting my vision (like with old silent films).
blink.gif

I do agree though, the music does have this peculiar ability to create bizarre images in the listeners mind and while its hard to believe they recieved the music from some sort of 'astral plane', there's definitely something transcendental running through the two albums.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #1,719 of 2,645
Yes I am actually, three tracks on Leaving Your Body Map conjure up similar images in my head.

Stones of October Sobbing
Riseth He, The Numberless Part 1
Riseth He, The Numberless Part 2

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #1,720 of 2,645
Quote:

Now that i just noticed you have an AKG K701 listed in your profile DA, how does that sound with our Dark music ?

I really like using Senn 650 for metal in general and AKG 701 for classical, the 701 is more open and clearly detailed but not too bright like I felt with headphones like Sony CD3000 for instance.

I like the fit/comfort of Senn 650 better although 701 is still fairly comfortable and has lightweight single cable design. The 701 has enough bass now to rock pretty good so if your amp is neutral to slightly warm I think the 701 will work very well and be slightly more detailed vs Senn 650.

I think in general Senn 650 is still best choice for metal overall especially since many Cds are not great sound quality, Senn 650 is more forgiving of sound flaws. I had some Grado cans few years ago (SR325, RS2) but preferred the richer sound of Senn plus never liked the rough feel of Grado bowl pads

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #1,723 of 2,645
Ive been on a blackmetal kick lately...

Been listening to A LOT of Satyricon's The Shadowthrone. Also a ton of Bathory's Hammerheart. Also been throwing on Darkthrone, little bit of Burzum. Funny... just bought a new headphone amp only to be listening to some pretty low-fi recordings... oh well.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #1,724 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caught this:

"Vibeke Stene leaves Tristania"

http://www.gothmetal.net/article/articleview/1113/1/131

So, the end, or perhaps a tail-end event with a new and better Tristania?

Yeah good for her, the band is nothing without her now, hahah.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #1,725 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caught this:
"Vibeke Stene leaves Tristania"

http://www.gothmetal.net/article/articleview/1113/1/131

So, the end, or perhaps a tail-end event with a new and better Tristania?

That is surely the final nail in the coffin for Tristania......RIP
I would like to see Vibeke work with Morten Veland/Sirenia again, that combo was magic on first two Tristania albums.

CP
Nothing bad about going back to the golden era classics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back