Darkest Desires Part V
Feb 20, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #1,696 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my top 5 Doom/Death albums that I have come across

Evoken - Quietus underground USA band, unbelievably good
Disembowelment - Transcendence into the Peripheral first ever doom/death band I think (formed 1990) from Melbourne, Australia, great sickening atmospheres
Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You (thanks to Nacher & RTN)
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth ($8 from Dark Symphonies) sometimes called "Doom Opeth"
Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus

Wait......a top 5 doom list without Shape of Despair or My Dying Bride??????
Pantheist?
Skepticism?

Evoken - I have the newest one, a bit repetitive in style for me but very dark, crushing and slowww for sure......for funeral doom fans

Disembowelment - haven't heard

Morgion - haven't heard but almost bought a couple times for $8

Saturnus - Paradise (very good, love the chirping birds liet motif)

Mourning Beloveth - Sullen Sulcus (has been ordered)

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #1,697 of 2,645
Quote:

I've been doing alot of pioneering recently I just haven't posted enough mini reviews on the great albums.

Here's my top 5 Doom/Death albums that I have come across

Evoken - Quietus underground USA band, unbelievably good
Disembowelment - Transcendence into the Peripheral first ever doom/death band I think (formed 1990) from Melbourne, Australia, great sickening atmospheres
Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You (thanks to Nacher & RTN)
Morgion - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth ($8 from Dark Symphonies) sometimes called "Doom Opeth"
Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus

Do you have Pantheist - O Solitude? It almost compares with SoD - Angels of Distress. Amazing funeral doom record, too bad the more recent Pantheist releases are not of same quality.

I do agree, that top 5 doom/death albums list without SoD, Skepticism, Pantheist and My Dying Bride is worthless
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #1,698 of 2,645
I think it's time I take a break from buying :O
Here's my Jan and Feb Purchases. I'm still waiting to receive about half of it. I haven't had the time to critically listen to a lot of the cds, but I'll talk about a few of the better ones later.

Realm - Suiciety
Realm - Endless War
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
Sodom - Agent Orange
Metal Church - Hanging In The Balance/Live
Paradox - Collision Course
Paradox - Heresy
Immolation - Dawn Of Possession
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity
destroyer 666 - unchain the wolves
The Chasm - Reaching The Veil Of Death
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination
Kat : Oddech Wymarlych Swiatow,
Kat : 38 Minutes Of Life,
Blind Fury : Out Of Reach
Reverend Bizarre : Slave Of Satan,
Cirith Ungol : One Foot In Hell
Dark Quarterer - s/t
Pariah - The Kindred
Pariah - Blaze of obscurity
Bedemon - Child of Darkness CD
Exumer - Possessed by Fire CD
Exumer - Rising From the Sea CD
Ulysses Siren - Above the Ashes CD
REVEREND BIZARRE - In The Rectory Of Bizarre Reverend / Return To The Rectory
THERION - Beyond Sanctorum
reverend bizarre - II crush the insects
candlemass - chapter VI
sacrifice - torment in fire
omen - battle cry
turbo - last warrior
Dissection - Somberlain
Amon Amarth - once sent from the golden hall
Wolf - The Black Flame
BLOOD FEAST - Kill For Pleasure
BLOOD FEAST - Face Fate (EP)
BLOOD FEAST - Chopping Block Blues
Manilla Road - Open the Gates
Griffin, Victor - Late for an Early Grave
Witchfynde - Give 'em Hell
TURBO - Epidemic + Alive
TURBO - Dead End + On Way
WHIPLASH - Message In Blood
MANILLA ROAD - Out Of The Abyss / Live Roadkill
CIRITH UNGOL - Servants Of Chaos (Double CD)
SACRED BLADE - Of The Sun + Moon Limited Edition
SECOND HELL / SKULL CRUSHER - Metal Deadness
Griffin - Flight Of The Griffin(bootleg)
Obituary - The End Complete(used original, mint)
Dismember - The God That Never Was
carcass - heartwork(original version)
Toxik - World Circus
Toxik - Think This
Bulldozer - Renerated In The Grave(5 disc set)
Turbo - Last Warrior
Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond The Crimson Horizon

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #1,700 of 2,645
Sure does, I think I've only spent ~$210 USD on CDs in one go before

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have Pantheist - O Solitude? It almost compares with SoD - Angels of Distress. Amazing funeral doom record, too bad the more recent Pantheist releases are not of same quality.

I do agree, that top 5 doom/death albums list without SoD, Skepticism, Pantheist and My Dying Bride is worthless
wink.gif

Well I never liked My Dying Bride's work that much except Turn Loose the Swans, and Skepticism, Shape of Despair would make my Funeral Doom top 5
tongue.gif

I did take note that you liked their newer work (before the death metal album from last year) so I shall give those a go, but basically I gave up after their first few.

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress (everyone knows these two)
Nortt - Gudsforladt (amazing Black Funeral Doom from Norway, impossible to find on cd unless you pay $40+)
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation (Aussie band, AMAZED at the quality of the music, production)
Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency (UK Funeral Doom giants, this is their best cd)

with Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale, Catacombs - In the Depths of R'lyeh, Until Death Overtakes Me - Prelude to Monolith, Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony, The Funeral Orchestra - Feeding the Abyss also worth a mention.

Only Funeral Doom CDs that didn't really impress me were
Remembrance - Frail Visions
My Shameful - Of Dust

I need to listen to my Thergothon CD more though.

Pantheist - O Solitude is still a CD I have to get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Evoken - I have the newest one, a bit repetitive in style for me but very dark, crushing and slowww for sure......for funeral doom fans

I agree, Quietus is better IMO.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #1,701 of 2,645
Goatowarex order through, not exactly sure what last CD I am getting but this is what the order was, as they were out of stock on a few items

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Drudkh - The Swan Road
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Catacombs - In the Depths of Rl'yeh

and one of the following

Enslaved - Bloodhemn
Runemagick - Requiem of the Apocaylpse
Planet AIDS - Apocalyptik AIDS

Particularly looking forward to the Drudkh albums, really high quality Black Metal.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #1,702 of 2,645
Even though I do like slower, even some extremely slow and droning doom, Until Death Overtakes Me - Prelude To Monolith was just too much for me. Almost ridiculously slow stuff. I think guitar chord was played once every two minutes (usually in a 20 minute song) and then just left to drone for ages. Also, it took like a minute to growl even one full word, not to mention how long a full sentence took to finish. Only Firebox records has guts to release stuff like that, haha. Wasn't that an one man band btw?

By the way, Swallow the Sun - Hope debuted at #3 in finnish top40 charts. Quite an achievement for a death/doom metal band...

OMG! Post number 666

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #1,703 of 2,645
Nice work by Swallow the Sun there

Yes it is ridiculously slow stuff, although I listen to alot of Drone Doom as well (Sunn O))), Boris, Bunkur, Burning Witch, Khanate, Monolithe etc etc) so for me it was great.

And yes it was a one man band, but then again, so is Nortt, Catacombs, Funeral Mourning and Doom:VS
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #1,704 of 2,645
For you goth rockers..........

Silentium - Seducia
Trail of Tears - Existentia

I like both of these new CDs better than new Tristania, ToT now only uses very small amount of female vocals to add variety to clean/extreme male vocals but the music itself seems better than recent work for them with more edge and darkness. Still probably best work was 1st two albums by this group which featured more female vocals.

Silentium new CD (mentioned by Nacher) is also pretty good, I haven't listened to my other CDs by them in some time so have to go back and compare but Seducia is defintely very good goth rock with female vocals, glad I picked this up.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #1,705 of 2,645
Okay, so I gave Mourning Beloveth a chance, and I really want to like this band, but the death vocals kill it for me for two reasons:

1. I like a good gutteral growl, but this guy sounds like he is going to puke. It is the same with Saturnus. The clean vocals and music are great, but the death vox are not, IMO.

2. It seem like all the death vox are delivered with a drawn out last word or syllable and are monotonous. There is no range or emotion, IMO, with the vocals. Not I am sure that is what they are going for, but it is not my style.

On the plus side, Moonsorrow - Viides Luku - Hävitetty is a great album. Great intensity and emotion. No hitting the skip button on this one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #1,706 of 2,645
That's a shame man, oh well.
(personally I think Swallow the Sun's vocals are bad though)

and yeah, Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty was a great recommendation from Nacher
cool.gif

you still might enjoy Morgion - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth although I recommend you PM me about a sampler just in case
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #1,707 of 2,645
DarkAngel : Have you listened to the new Sirenia album? I checked out some tracks from it, and it did sound better than the new Tristania. It's also lighter stuff, but somehow more catchy and not as simple. I've never been a fan of Sirenia, but the new album did sound kind of interesting.

Roadtonowhere : I sincerely hope that you mean Saturnus - Veronica Decides to Die when referring to bad growling vocals. The ones found in Paradise Belongs to You are of high quality and fit the music nicely.

btw, I was at Eternal Tears of Sorrow's gig yesterday. That band hasn't been playing live for half a decade, and suddenly drops in a club in my hometown. The weird part is that they chose a club with space only for 250 people. It was crowded as hell, but finally seeing EToS live was well worth of the visit. They even played Autum's Grief as encore, \m/
very_evil_smiley.gif
\m/

Their comeback album, Before The Bleeding Sun is actually quite good. Wink wink, DarkAngel.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #1,708 of 2,645
Quote:

(personally I think Swallow the Sun's vocals are bad though)

WHAT!?

Tastes indeed do differ, heh. I think STS has some of the coolest growls ever. Just check the awesome screams in Swallow (Horror pt.1) on the first album or the clean vocals&growls of These Lowlands on Hope... Amazing! 3:40 of that track has some of coolest dark metal vocals ever imo.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #1,709 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DarkAngel : Have you listened to the new Sirenia album? I checked out some tracks from it, and it did sound better than the new Tristania. It's also lighter stuff, but somehow more catchy and not as simple. I've never been a fan of Sirenia, but the new album did sound kind of interesting.

Roadtonowhere : I sincerely hope that you mean Saturnus - Veronica Decides to Die when referring to bad growling vocals. The ones found in Paradise Belongs to You are of high quality and fit the music nicely.

btw, I was at Eternal Tears of Sorrow's gig yesterday. That band hasn't been playing live for half a decade, and suddenly drops in a club in my hometown. The weird part is that they chose a club with space only for 250 people. It was crowded as hell, but finally seeing EToS live was well worth of the visit. They even played Autum's Grief as encore, \m/
very_evil_smiley.gif
\m/

Their comeback album, Before The Bleeding Sun is actually quite good. Wink wink, DarkAngel.

Have not heard new Sirenia........but do have Elixir for Existence + Sixes and Sevens

I really like last two EToS Cds and have all Kalmah CDs also, sounds like a kool show to see.......will watch for new EToS CD

Still waiting for official CD versions of new Moonsorrow + Swallow the Sun + Therion to become available.

I just got the Mourning Beloveth today.........not bad really, yes the extreme vocals are slower and deeper which may be too much for some, music is similar to Swallow the Sun with a slow mid tempo beat, perhaps the vocals may seem too slow/deep for this style music and heavy rasp might seem better fit???
Actually there are sections where vocals are faster like a heavy rasp and seems to flow better with music tempo......then other sections vocals are much slower and deeper and this works if the music is also slowed down to match

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #1,710 of 2,645
May be late to the game, but I really like Callisto - Noir. Very nice blend of laid back music with the more extreme stuff. The whole album flows very well. I also love that deep powerful guitar sound. Tony Iommi would be very proud. This one will be getting a lot of play time. I would say they are one of the best at creating a very successful balance of beautiful peace and heavy music.

Also, I am really digging Ikuinen Kaamos - The Forlorn. I am getting a VERY strong Opeth vibe from the more "jamming" parts (ie. I keep picturing parts of Dirge For November and Drapery Falls). The singer from Rapture does the vocals. Not my favorite vocalist, but there is some variety between the deep vox and the screams. Good stuff all around...

Nacher: Yeah, unfortunately, I also meant Paradise... as well. I simply cannot get into the slow droning gutteral vox. Especially in the two aforementioned albums, they are also up front in the mix, and they distract from the music. I still am not the most tolerant when it comes to extreme vocals. I like there to be range and emotion, like Opeth, Swallow the Sun, etc... I guess that is why I still have a relatively small collection of death metal (and all subcategories within).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back