Darkest Desires PART IV
Sep 23, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #646 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Book of Revelations

Apocalypse related writings are within the 'apocrypha' which is in Catholic but not Protestant bibles. And I assume Apocalypse related writings would be in the officially frowned upon unofficial fifth apostle Thomas' gospel, which I've never gotten around to reading.

The End is one of the big, grand themes of human culture, all ages, all civilizations. I view the Bible as literature primarily, along the lines of prof. emeritus Northope Fry in 'The Great Code: The Bible and Literature' which is similar to Harold Bloom's The Western Canon's view of Shakespeare casting an artistic shadow so incomparably vast, no artist of any culture has yet been able escape it's influence. Fry has the Bible as the colossus shadow caster of western art (metal most obviously included).

A whole lifetime could be spent studying the similarites of apocalypses of different cultures (as KR... pointed out) and depth psychology like Jung's and his universal 'collective unconscious' with its archetypes (the 'Dark Night of the Soul',etc) and it branches out all over the place including the Tibetan Book of the Dead, shamanistic initiation and the psychological meaning of UFO abductees (the reported abductions NOT real but psychological phenomenons remarkably like ancient initiation rites. At least that is the American trend which is different from other nations' citizen's experiences for some unknown reason).

But I've never found a completely satisfying psychological explanation for the popularity of The end of the world fantasies. Is it as simple as people not liking the idea of being left behind and forgotten as the world carries on without them? Are people that mean and selfish? Of course
evil_smiley.gif
That's the best I can come up with. Suicide bombers presently are playing out mini religious apocalypse dramas in a way.

My favorite apocalypse artist is Hieronymus Bosch 1450-1516

judge-c.jpg

Bosch.hell.502pix.jpg

http://www.boschuniverse.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bosch/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieronymus_Bosch

Bosch influenced Pieter Bruegel the Elder who's 'The Triumph of Death' was used for the cover of one of Black Sabbath's greatest hits collections.

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #647 of 1,001
Quote:

GRAVELAND - Fire of Awakening (2003)
GRAVELAND - Creed of Iron (2001)

-Carpathian Wolves 1994
-Thousand Swords 1995

Encountered while roaming aimlessly.

Graveland "Dawn of iron blades"
A-5 Digi CD/CD/LP
The new Opus presents 6 Pagan Metal tracks in the typical
Graveland style !
Out in October ´04!
sample MP3

2nd from top @
http://www.no-colours-records.de/

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #648 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Encountered while roaming aimlessly.

Graveland "Dawn of iron blades"
A-5 Digi CD/CD/LP
The new Opus presents 6 Pagan Metal tracks in the typical
Graveland style !
Out in October ´04!
sample MP3

2nd from top @
http://www.no-colours-records.de/

Check that new MP3 by GRAVELAND listed there, sounds great and very similar to previous Graveland works.....another CD to buy
tongue.gif

I listen to NARGAROTH sample above that and didn't like it too much, just a constant nihilistic wall of distorted sound without melody or variation.
frown.gif

The artist Bosch must have surely read the "book of revelations" amazing bizarre stuff......anyway back to the subject at hand:
MUSIC

Sep 23, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #649 of 1,001
If you like Goth/EBM/Industrial you should checkout Radio Ubik. They play 10 hours a week from tuesday to saturday 2h's a day, and usually 2-3 of those hours are live DJ stuff nicely mixed.
Theyre playlists of played sets are found at here[Link Language is finnish, but you probaly can undestand the imple playlists, lists are added usually in 24h's from the playing to the forum]

Times on the site are in GMT+2 so the start time of 20:00 is 1pm EST.

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #650 of 1,001
Quote:

Check that new MP3 by GRAVELAND listed there, sounds great and very similar to previous Graveland works.....another CD to buy
tongue.gif

I listen to NARGAROTH sample above that and didn't like it too much, just a constant nihilistic wall of distorted sound without melody or variation.
frown.gif

I counted three melody changes in that small 3 min clip. They changed they style for that new album from the one that I have.

Graveland kicks ass as always.

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #652 of 1,001
Massemord - Skogen Kaller
Massemord - Obscura Symphonica

Never heard of this group before, only place I've seen this was blackmetal.com and when placing recent order there I checked some samples I picked these up. This is your typical classic tr00 early nordic BM style, mid tempo dark atmospherics, occassional blasts of guitar/drum emerging from the ghastly musical fog, brutal and majestic with grim death vocals etc.

These are of very high quality IMO, melodic with some nice transitional sections and tempo shifts etc. I like the debut album "skogen kaller" a little more than 2nd album, sold at low price level on Cybertzara label (blackmetal.com's distribution label) I would rank these right up there with TAAKE as great examples of newly released albums in Tr00 BM style, read more here:

Massemord

Waiting to buy list:
Cradle Of Filth - Nymphetmine
Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #653 of 1,001
Just bought :

Cradle of Filth - Nymphetmine
Shape of Despair - Illusion's Play

The new CoF is nice, even though it can't match the almost perfect Dusk. Very guitar based and with a nice amount of hooks. I only have listened it through once, so can't give any more detailed opinions, heh. Liv Kristine does roxor and overall, this album has been a positive surprise.

The new SoD is maybe a slight dissapointment, but needs more listening as well. There were some good part and sections, but compared to the godlike Angels of Distress, this one falls behind.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #654 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Just bought :

Cradle of Filth - Nymphetmine
Shape of Despair - Illusion's Play

The new CoF is nice, even though it can't match the almost perfect Dusk. Very guitar based and with a nice amount of hooks. I only have listened it through once, so can't give any more detailed opinions, heh. Liv Kristine does roxor and overall, this album has been a positive surprise.

The new SoD is maybe a slight dissapointment, but needs more listening as well. There were some good part and sections, but compared to the godlike Angels of Distress, this one falls behind.

As soon as I discovered Liv Kristine did vocals for new COF all doubts were put to rest......it will soon be mine.

BTW what does "roxor" mean?

Sep 25, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #656 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
I'm not completely sure what "roxor" stands for. It's some form of "rox" which equals to "rules". As stupid word as tr00 really...

Yes I think it is just dumb message board slang for "rocks" rox = rocks
by adding mirror image the word roXor now spells rox forwards and backwards
tongue.gif

Ministry's recent album Animositisomina is another example of mirror image spelling of word.

Sep 25, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #657 of 1,001
Quote:

Bathory - Under the Sign (1986)

A little secret
All the Bathory albums from the 1980's were remastered in 2003 by Black Mark Records with Quorthon personally supervising remaster sessions, graphic artwork was also restored and enhanced. Not mentioned anywhere on CD, but if CD info says 2003 edition you have remaster.

Based upon some file sharing downloads I'm dropping by the record shop today and will grab 'Under The Sign' and 'Blood Fire Death' or 'Hammerheart' if they are in stock (I'll order if not).

Two songs especially struck me-'Enter the Eternal Fire' from Under the Sign and 'Valhalla' from Hammerheart.
Great stuff!
cool.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #658 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Based upon some file sharing downloads I'm dropping by the record shop today and will grab 'Under The Sign' and 'Blood Fire Death' or 'Hammerheart' if they are in stock (I'll order if not).

Two songs especially struck me-'Enter the Eternal Fire' from Under the Sign and 'Valhalla' from Hammerheart.
Great stuff!
cool.gif

Yes yes get them all, first five Bathory albums are all classic:

Bathory
The Return
Under the Sign
Blood Fire Death
Hammerheart (epic viking metal that pleases Odin himself)

BTW, what is that avatar? Marlboro man from hell
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #660 of 1,001
Quote:

Yes yes get them all, first five Bathory albums are all classic:
Bathory
The Return
Under the Sign
Blood Fire Death
Hammerheart (epic viking metal that pleases Odin himself)

I got 'Under the Sign' (now playing-1986!-very cool! & nice remastering too) & 'Blood Fire Death'.
Those Jubileum I, II & III are sort of cash grabs as they are 1/2 seemingly very desirable previously unreleased tracks and 1/2 normal tracks from the albums. Hard to resist for the fan.

Darkthrone's Sardonic Wrath was in the store (CD & vinyl) and I listened to it but didn't buy it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood (in Bathory mode
wink.gif
) or one listen isn't enough. It seemed to have a sameness within songs and between songs, especially vocally. Quite propulsive and worthwhile though I thought for those looking for such.
cool.gif

Quote:

BTW, what is that avatar? Marlboro man from hell
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I know that picture.
You are kind of right
very_evil_smiley.gif

HaHa, It's me! 6 years ago.
I was once in the Ontario college of art & design...bored and would do my own thing at home. I'm actually itching to do some Dark Metal art and need a digital camera but I keep spending my money buying CDs!!!

Pardon the thread crap but I'd like others opinion on these two dark works of mine.

EDIT:
angry-smiley-049.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back