Darkest Desires PART IV
Sep 8, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #556 of 1,001
To honor the fallen dark warrior Quorthon, I should recieve any day his 2nd album The Return which will complete my early blasphemous dark trilogy by Bathory:
-bathory s/t 1984
-the return 1985
-under the sign 1986

Although ground zero for BM must be traced back to Venom "welcome to hell" 1981, Bathory provided the final piece to the puzzle.....the rip throat death vocal style that became the BM trade mark for countless later bands.

NP: HECATE ENTHRONED - Upon Promethian Shores

Sep 8, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #557 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
To honor the fallen dark warrior Quorthon, I should recieve any day his 2nd album The Return which will complete my early blasphemous dark trilogy by Bathory:
-bathory s/t 1984
-the return 1985
-under the sign 1986

Although ground zero for BM must be traced back to Venom "welcome to hell" 1981, Bathory provided the final piece to the puzzle.....the rip throat death vocal style that became the BM trade mark for countless later bands.

I really need to get some of this too. I remember seeing his stuff in the stores back in the days and knowing he was a one man band, but never bought any of his stuff. I've recently downloaded some of the earlier stuff and really dig it. I think I'll start with the first couple of discs.

Sep 8, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #561 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
DarkAngel you have to see THIS

Ha ha.......Motely Crue in thier very early "shout at the devil" phase. They don't really look too evil though.
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #562 of 1,001
Quote:

Ha ha.......Motely Crue in thier very early "shout at the devil" phase. They don't really look too evil though.
tongue.gif

teehee.. well they never looked evil... They were more glam than anything.

The drum set is cool though.
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #563 of 1,001
Yet another list...half way down the page.

I wonder how many "10 Most Influential Black Metal Albums" lists exist?
Hundreds?
And was there really such a gap between 1984 & 1993?

The 10 Most Influential Black Metal Albums

Criteria: The following albums were chosen because of the impact that they have had on successive bands. A fair amount of personal preference has also affected the bands chosen, and in a list this short it is sometimes the only way to make a choice between two bands who are arguably equally important. For example, can it be said that Satyricon are more influential than Thorns or Ulver? I have focused exclusively on the first and second waves of black metal. The reason for this is simple: these are the bands most often cited by current black metal bands as being their biggest influence. Ratings are not given, as I wouldn't mention them unless they were worth 10 out of 10. However, they are of more than historical interest and stand in their own right as classic black metal albums that should be in every fan's collection. If you don't have them, start saving!

Venom - _Black Metal_ (Neat Records, 1982)

Although relatively tame by today's standards, they certainly weren't when they released their debut back in 1981 -- at which time they were one of the first bands to explicitly and unambiguously espouse a Satanic outlook. The genesis of black metal was Venom's seminal debut _Welcome to Hell_. Any one of their first three albums could have been chosen, as they are all classics, but the reason _Black Metal_ was chosen was largely because it has the quintessential Venom song "Countess Bathory" -- as well as being the album that provided a name for the developing genre. Venom's simplistic, raw sounding and sloppily played songs were to be the blueprint from which all others would follow in one way or another. Although they superficially don't sound like most black metal bands, virtually all of the basic audio characteristics are present; the major difference lies in the vocals, which are sung in a clear and decipherable voice, having little in common with the shrieked vocal style of almost all black metal bands. Their Satanic aspect may have been a gimmick, and it may not have been. Either way, it ushered in one of the most potent metal subgenres.

Bathory - _Bathory_ (Black Mark, 1984)

Any of Bathory's first five albums can rightly be considered a classic and have collectively had the biggest impact on the development of black metal -- selecting just one as the most influential is an exercise in futility. The best option was to simply go back to the beginning where it all started: on his short and nasty self-titled debut. Most of the songs struggle to attain the three minute mark, the music is simple and sloppily performed and the lyrics are laughable. At another time and another place, this might have been seen as juvenile and doomed to obscurity. But the sheer uncompromising violence of the music -- which was pretty much unrivalled in 1984 -- meant that this album couldn't simply be dismissed. Like many other black metal classics, the end result was greater than the sum of its parts. Later albums would show considerable growth and progression, but none would replicate the 'take no prisoners' attitude and youthful aggression of _Bathory_.

Celtic Frost - _Morbid Tales_ (Noise, 1984)

It is significant that while Celtic Frost do not fit comfortably into either death, thrash or black metal, each genre has tried to claim Celtic Frost as one of their own. Their debut album was a relatively raw and simplistic affair, unburdened by the avant-garde accoutrements that would be experimented with at a later stage. The abrasive sound was probably due more to lack of funds than design, but would nonetheless serve as a blueprint for future bands. Their signature riffs have been much copied and their influence can be felt almost everywhere, in bands as diverse as Samael and Darkthrone. Their signature song, "Circle of the Tyrants", is probably the most covered song in extreme metal, with everyone from Obituary to Mystic Circle having a go at it. Although they were never one of the more technical bands, their unique and original sound, combined with a desire to experiment, meant that they would be remembered long after their demise.

Immortal - _Pure Holocaust_ (Osmose, 1993)

Immortal got off to an unpromising and noisy start with _Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism_, barely recognisable as an Immortal release in comparison to later efforts. But its successor _Pure Holocaust_ was an entirely different beast: gone were the death metal overtones, replaced with the characteristic cold production that came to be known as the Norse sound. _Pure Holocaust_ sounds less noisy than its predecessor, but infinitely more hateful, with more angry songs. Immortal are one of the more unique black metal bands both in terms of sound and appearance, thanks largely to Abbath's unique croak and grim frostbitten appearance. If it were any other band attempting this image, it would probably be extremely cheesy; but with Immortal it somehow just seems right.

Satyricon - _Dark Medieval Times_ (Moonfog, 1993)

_Dark Medieval Times_ is a noisy affair, drawing on folk music and the Middle Ages for inspiration -- a sharp contrast to the more urbane image Satyr is currently cultivating. The use of folk elements and the 'floating' guitar sound combine to create an incredibly atmospheric album. While the insubstantial sounding guitars may be considered a flaw by some, it provides the album with a unique sound largely unduplicated by the black metal community. Indeed without this sound, _DMT_ would lose a lot of its potent ambience. Along with Ulver, Satyricon were one of the first acts to utilise folk elements and were possibly the first 'trollish' bands. Many bands, such as Wyrd and Nokturnal Mortum, have since then successfully merged folk instrumentation and melodies with black metal.

Burzum - _Hvis Lyset Tar Oss_ (Misanthropy, 1994)

While _Hvis Lyset Tar Oss_ is superficially similar to its predecessors, the stronger song writing as well as the inclusion of the amazing "Det Som Engang Var" meant that this album stands out (albeit only slightly) from his other work. This album features all the Burzum trademarks, namely droning guitars and minimalist drumming, all accompanied by Vikernes' unique wail. _HLTO_ also features the obligatory ambient track, "Tomhet", which showcases Burzum's skill in creating ethereal ambient music, present throughout and an integral part of his black metal period, although sadly much ignored.

Darkthrone – _Transylvanian Hunger_ (Peaceville, 1994)

Fenriz and company took the basic black metal outline that they had helped pioneer on the amazing _A Blaze in the Northern Sky_ and stripped it of any and all frills, resulting in a sparse, hateful album. The thin production later became known as the "necro’" sound. The raspy croak that passes for vox and the stripped down guitars are the very embodiment of black metal simplicity, while the practically non-existent production resulted in the bass being totally inaudible and the drums dissolving into an undifferentiated sludge. These are far from being negatives, as _Transylvanian Hunger_ embodied the very spirit of black metal and formed the seed from which it was to grow. Much imitated, but never equalled, _TH_ stands above almost all others.

Enslaved - _Vikingligr Veldi_ (Voices of Wonder, 1994)

Unlike most of their peers, Enslaved eschewed Satanism in favour of a neo-Pagan world view, focusing heavily on Norway's Viking heritage. Many bands would advocate similar ideas, but Enslaved were probably the first to do so (barring Bathory's Viking era material). _Vikingligr Veldi_ is a delightfully lengthy and repetitive affair, utilising the same cold Norse production as Immortal's _Pure Holocaust_. But instead of playing furious black metal, a greater emphasis is placed on creating atmosphere, inducing an almost trance-like state in the listener. Like all other albums mentioned here it is a unique album, yet it feels necessary to draw attention to this fact here, as it tends to be in the shadow of most of the other bands / albums mentioned in this section.

Emperor - _In the Nightside Eclipse_ (Candlelight, 1994)

One could not imagine a more suitable name for the creative entity centred around the duo of Samoth and Ihsahn, as at the time of their premature demise they were the undisputed lords of black metal. Although it was _Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk_ that brought them widespread acclaim, _In the Nightside Eclipse_ ensured that they already could be considered as one of black metal elite. Emperor fortunately dropped the fuzzy guitar sound of the _Emperor_ EP in favour of a more focused and infinitely more intense sound. Although the lyrics are inferior to those on _AttWaD_, they were nonetheless already superior to those produced by the vast majority of their contemporaries. While they were not the first black metal act to use keyboards, they were probably the first to adopt a more majestic and -- pun unintended -- imperial sound, and helped pave the way for the more melodic and symphonic black metal acts.

Mayhem - _De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas_ (Deathlike Silence Productions / Century Black, 1994)

This album was the result of a mixture of chance, luck, skill and talent. Dead's suicide resulted in the recruitment of Attila (Tormentor) for session vocals, whose unique, weird vocals provided the perfect backdrop to Euronymous' furious riffs. While Euronymous' guitar style was widely influential, Attila's unorthodox vocals didn't exactly set the scene ablaze. The bass (performed by Varg Vikernes or Hellhammer, depending on which story you choose to believe) is unusually prominent and sounds particularly ominous on tracks such as "Pagan Fears" and "Life Eternal". The drumming is impeccable, provided by black metal's best drummer, Hellhammer. All of these factors combined to form one of the definitive black metal albums, one which remains a classic ten years after its first release. This album also proved to be the albatross around Mayhem's collective necks, as while it was massive progression from their primitive death metal roots, such was the import of this album that all of their subsequent work was doomed to be in its shadow, irrespective of the quality.

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #564 of 1,001
Couldn't resist Century Media's prices-ordered:
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (CD) $5.00
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk (CD) $5.00
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design (Vinyl-LP) $12.00

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #565 of 1,001
Attention MR.PD:
cool.gif

THE CROWN Prepare Triple DVD Release

"The last studioalbum from us to you has now been released and we hope that you`re enjoying it as much as we do, but by saying that, that doesn`t mean the last supper is served. In fact, the final chapter has been written these rescent days and is in production right this moment.
A triple DVD that is set for release in a near future. A colossal damage to head and eyes!! This magnificent hail to the fans will take you on a dangerous rollercoaster-ride deep within the halls of hell.
Forget everything you`ve heard. You have it all on tape here - the true story of The Crown. -The final chapter, written in blood, sweat and tears on a shiny silver plate out to kill (the priest) one last time.
WATCH OUT!!!!"

http://www.metal-rules.com/news/inde...hs=2004-09#469

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #566 of 1,001
I wonder why Thyrane - Symphonies of Infernality isn't better known? Maybe because it was released after the golden age of true blackmetal (92-95). I was listening to it while driving my car today, and once again the album proved itself to be very worthy. At the same time, very BM-like cold and desolate sound, but still the production is way past the BM standars, and the songs have great hooks and (omg) even fresh ideas.

For the ones who haven't heard that album yet, pick it up if you can find it somewhere. It rocks
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #567 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Couldn't resist Century Media's prices-ordered:
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (CD) $5.00
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk (CD) $5.00
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design (Vinyl-LP) $12.00

Can't beat $5 for two BM masterpieces...........when I first got these I liked ATTWAD best but over time and with more dark metal experience I now realize that Nightside is the the real masterpiece.

About the latest top 10 BM list:

Celtic Frost - _Morbid Tales_ (Noise, 1984)
Important album, but even more direct influence on BM development IMO was Celtic Frost's frontman former short lived group Hellhammer and thier kvlt 1984 release.
Apocalyptic Raids

Enslaved - _Vikingligr Veldi_ (Voices of Wonder, 1994)
I really like Enslaved, but there is no question that viking metal style's starting point was Bathory's "blood fire death" 1988 and "hammerheart" 1990, far more influential from a historical point.

Black Metal was always evloving in the background, but in 1984 the speed metal and thrash metal movements exploded on the scence with debut albums by Metallica and Slayer, this would dominate things for many years and spawn countless imitators. As these violent extreme styles evloved many years later death and black metal would emerge and generate thier own variations. There were always speed/thrash groups that dealt with dark subjects like Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Sodom, Sarcofago etc. BM style eventually evolved from this to have it's own recognized sound.

Darkthrone "blaze in northern sky" album goes back to 1991, may be one of the earliest recognizable examples of what would become a large nordic BM style scence.

Sep 10, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #568 of 1,001
Quote:

Hellhammer and thier kvlt 1984 release.
Apocalyptic Raids

I'm obligated to get Apocalyptic Raids as I love morbid tales more than Mega therion & Pandimonium (spelt wrong).

Quote:

Black Metal was always evloving in the background, but in 1984 the speed metal and thrash metal movements exploded on the scence with debut albums by Metallica and Slayer, this would dominate things for many years and spawn countless imitators. As these violent extreme styles evloved many years later death and black metal would emerge and generate thier own variations. There were always speed/thrash groups that dealt with dark subjects like Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Sodom, Sarcofago etc. BM style eventually evolved from this to have it's own recognized sound.

Thanks
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #569 of 1,001
In regards to The Crown and the DVD. I will probably pass. The DVD that came with Crowned Unholy was not very good. It looked very amateur, with average or lower sound quality.
Funny that you guys would be talking about Cletic Frost's Morbid Tales. I spent some quality time with that CD yesterday at the motel. I love the music but the guy doing vocals wears a bit on me. He isn't singing, he just talks/yells. That's the impression I got. I actually got to the point where I was wishing for the CD to finish.

Sep 10, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #570 of 1,001
Grim Kvlt Norse BM:
MASSEMORD - Obscura Symphonica + Skogen Kaller
SATANIC WARMASTER - Black Katharsis EP + Opferblut (from e-bay)

Followed KR's suggestion and placed order at blackmetal.com
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also from Evil Music ordered:
GRAVELAND - Fire of Awakening + Creed of Iron (got tired of waiting)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back