Darkest desires part 2
May 20, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #796 of 1,066
Here is the Darkthrone Bio written by the band themselves!!!

1987 black death changes name to darkthrone. fall and winter are established as the darkthrone-seasons. Line-up: fenriz, drums, vocals. Zephyrous, guitar. Dag nilsen, bass. Anders risberget, guitar. Inspirationsources range from cryptic slaughter - celtic frost - deep purple - nihilist, and thrash metal in general.

1988 first ****ty demo released. Anders quits. Ex-guitarist of black death calls me and asks if we need another guitarist. He knows nocturno culto and I soon arrange a meeting with n.c. after seeing a darkthrone gig, nocturno culto joins darkthrone. (I wonder why). This is early 88. "snowfall" advance promo is sent out. Lots of rehearsing.

1989 we record the "thulcandra" demo. More rehearsing and gigs follow. The musical style changes slowly from thrash to death, and nocturno culto starts doing the vocals. In fall. One of the gigs are recorded, and this is the "cromlech" demo. We feel that that live tape can be sent around to various record labels. And x-mas time 89 we sign a deal with peaceville records.

1990 exciting year for darkthrone. We play a couple of shows with cadaver, in spring we even play a show in denmark, and we record our first album "soulside journey" in sunlight studios, Sweden, with help from the nihilist (now entombed) guys. This year we are really getting fed up with the death metal trend, Bermuda shorts, etc. in 1990 darkthrone still PLAY death metal, but we LISTEN mostly to black metal oriented music. (except for dag, who has problems with the LESS IS MORE feeling of black metal). This is frustrating, because we have finally mastered the art of technical death metal but it feels wrong playing it. Nevertheless, autumn 90 we start to construct the "goatlord" album.

1991 the "goatlord" album is finished, and exists as a rehearsaltape. We follow our hearts, and decide not to record "goatlord". Instead we play grim black metal. Some songs are made, and we do a mini-tour In finland, may 91. then we decide to loose dag, but let him play session bass on "a blaze in the northern sky", which we record in the summer of 1991. it is a fantastic year for us, filled to the brim with black metal feeling. And in the autumn, euronymous starts helvete.

1992 from the beginning, darkthrone always did a lot of correspondance in the underground. (there was really never any black metal underground before, but the attitude was present throughout the eighties. But We did not want a black metal "scene". Just global obscurity). so we do no promotion, just drink , smoke and rehearse for the "under a funeral moon" album, which we then record in the summer again. I still hang with the other extremeists at helvete, but nocturno culto and zephyrous decides to stay away from oslo. Before, in the 80s, all extreme metal was connected, and in the same ´zines. In the end of 1992, we get atleast 2 requests to do interviews for someone starting up pure black metal ´zines for the first time ever. I did not like this direction, and I told them to use their energy on something else.

1993 helvete shuts down. And many strong forces in the Norwegian black metal scene goes, more than before, each to his own. I philosophy quite a bit, while listening to both obscure old school stuff from the eighties and many new forms of music. I had always listened to all sorts of music, but I guess 1993 was the year I got to know that music was my main interest. As darkness and fall arrived, "transilvanian hunger" is recorded. As count grishnack goes to jail, I sense that varg might feel communicatively strangled. So I ask him if he wants to do some lyrics and thus, speak through "transilvanian hunger". He agrees, and he also wrote the lyric quintessence, which appear on…

1994 …the "panzerfaust" album. Ah, 1994. my wild year. Our 4 album deal with peaceville is over after "transilvanian hunger".and the first half of this year, I knit a close relationship with sigurd and his moonfog record company. Before giving darkthrone to moonfog, I sign with isengard and Neptune towers first, so I can see that everything is kosher. Moonfog and sigurd turns out to be extremely fair to deal with. So darkthrone signs to moonfog and release "panzerfaust" in late 94.

1995 we record the "total death" album, (after having collected lyrics from important heads of the Norwegian scene) and stay low. Watching the black metal circus that spawned from the media craze in 93/94.. it is embarrassing sometimes.

1996 nocturno culto decides that he wants to play a final show with darkthrone. We spend the first months of the year rehearsing for our first live gig, which we played in easter 1996. after that, nocturno culto struggles to settle down in the mountains, and I go on an obligatory acid psychedelic period, lasting for about 2 years. I also start to hang out in the forest A LOT.

1997 "goatlord" is released, I think.

1998 **** if I know what happened, but late this year nocturno culto writes more song material and wants me to do lyrics. The last 2 years I only did some guest lyrics for various bands. In November and December I write a couple of lyrics for the album that shall be "ravishing grimness". They scare me, but I think they are better than ever. Oh, and a darkthrone tribute album is released by moonfog.

1999 nocturno culto writes more material, I write more painful lyrics. I can assure you that the way I end up playing drums on "ravishing grimness" is purely by choice, and it is JUST the way I want drumming to be in black metal. Not many others agree on this. Anyway, nocturno culto is the sanest soul in darkthrone in this period, so he takes care of most of the music and business. Thanks, Ted. We now have to decide whether we shall do interviews or not. We go for it, doing hundreds of interviews.

2000 the interviews continue. All year. So there is more darkthroning going on than usual. And in the end of the year, nocturno culto starts to work on the next album, "plaguewielder", and I am right writing more hard lyrics.

2001 a great darkthrone-year. (mostly for negative me, ´cuz I say no to a 3-page coverstory-interview in kerrang. And I turn down a 30 000 $ offer to playing live a weekend in England). We get a request to have our music featured in an s/m movie. Also, "plaguewielder" is recorded in the same studio as "ravishing grimness" (studio studio) with guest vocals from apollyon (aura noir, cadaver) and sverre from audiopain. We continue doing ****loads of interviews. AND, we get to make fun of people saying "plagueWILDER" instead of "plagueWIElder". **** ém. We also sign an exstensive record deal with moonfog (after both peaceville and moonfog wanted to sign us), and we start working on our next album (no. 10).

2002 I`m back! Well, a bit more than before; we decide that I will do 3 of the 7 songs on for this new album. The lyrics are already done (I changed my style of writing) and that's about it so far this year. We will record this next ****** in oslo, it seems. For the first time. Now, GET OFF THE NET

Fenriz

news for Darkangel :

"Arch Enemy's front growler, Angela Gossow, and guitarist/songwriter, Michael Amott, are engaged and to be married with time. This is confirmed in a Metal Hammer interview with Angela Gossow."

May 20, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #797 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Here is the Darkthrone Bio written by the band themselves!!!

1998 **** if I know what happened...

You gotta love a band with a sense of humour.

May 20, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #798 of 1,066
Quote:

news for Darkangel :
"Arch Enemy's front growler, Angela Gossow, and guitarist/songwriter, Michael Amott, are engaged and to be married with time. This is confirmed in a Metal Hammer interview with Angela Gossow."

Looks like Angela has a steady gig now, he he.

Dusty
SHAPE OF DESPAIR has arrived, my god you should hear the crushing bass lines on my full stereo system, impact is staggering and all destroying.

Now how to make 5 tracks that are over 10 minutes each interesting and not repetitive, I will explore this question.

May 20, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #799 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Dusty
SHAPE OF DESPAIR has arrived, my god you should hear the crushing bass lines on my full stereo system, impact is staggering and all destroying.

Yeah, I would like to hear it on your most excellent stereo system, but mine isn't too shabby. I have a Sunfire sub, so I do get the impact. Especially that one at the opening of Angels of Distress, I love that one, it just sets the mood for the rest of the album.

Thanks, now I'm going to have to pull those albums out and listen to them...again.

May 20, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #800 of 1,066
Upcoming releases, all dates are subject to change :

5/05 - Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy
5/06 - The Gathering - Souvenirs
5/06 - Mystifier - Profanus
5/19 - Hate Forest - Purity
5/20 - Amorphis - Far From The Sun
5/20 - Enslaved - Below The Lights
5/20 - Sleep - Dopesmoker
5/20 - Paradise Lost - Gothic (Digi) (re-release)
5/26 - Iron Maiden - Visions Of The Beast (DVD)
5/27 - Agalloch - Tomorrow Will Never Come (7")

Pretty cool stuff there! I didn't know that Sleep was back?!? They kick so much ass, can't wait to hear this new album. Paradise Lost - Gothic is a total doom metal classic, no word if it's remastered or has extra tracks yet.

May 20, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #801 of 1,066
Whoa... new Sleep, huh? Wasn't Dopesmoker the working title for Jerusalem? Maybe that's just a reissue or an alternate version of Jerusalem...

- Chris (who just downloaded that Shape of Despair MP3, needs to listen to it)

May 20, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #802 of 1,066
I have the Enslaved- below the lights ordered, should arrive tomorrow..........I really like previous "frost" and "eld" albums. I realize this new CD will be much different sound however.

May 20, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #803 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Whoa... new Sleep, huh? Wasn't Dopesmoker the working title for Jerusalem? Maybe that's just a reissue or an alternate version of Jerusalem...

- Chris (who just downloaded that Shape of Despair MP3, needs to listen to it)

Ah, I am afraid you are 100% right! I found this note about the album :

http://www.blistering.com/news/newsdet.php3?ID=4743

Sleep's 'Dopesmoker' Delayed

Source: Blabbermouth.net

Due to unspecified "logistical" problems, Tee Pee Records have pushed back the official release date of SLEEP's long-awaited "Dopesmoker" CD to May 20. With producer Billy Anderson out on the road with BLESSING THE HOGS and Matt Pike piloting the HIGH ON FIRE juggernaut, the decision was made to delay the street date so that enough time could be dedicated to the project to ensure its utmost potency. In addition to the epic track, this release will also feature a live version of the never recorded "Sonic Titan".

Perhaps the quintessential stoner rock band, SLEEP's brief career wafted in and out of focus like clouds of their self-mandated marijuana smoke, coming to a brilliant demise with one of the heaviest and most uncompromising metal albums of all time.

For their third record, SLEEP took almost two years writing, re-writing, and recording with uber-producer Billy Anderson (MELVINS, NEUROSIS, MR. BUNGLE), investing a large portion of their unprecedented major label six-figure advance on enough holy smoke to kill mortal men. The result was a 65-minute apocalyptic dirge that left their new bosses at London Records confused and dismayed. The band was subsequently dropped, and the resulting red tape contributed heavily to the band's disbanding.

Demo tapes and bootlegs were furiously traded turning the band into legendary underground icons. A cleaned up and shortened, (if you consider 54 minutes shortened) version was released under the name "Jerusalem" in 1998 to widespread critical acclaim.

Just added:

Check out the totally kick ass cover art!

dopesmokercoverbig.jpg

May 23, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #805 of 1,066
Haha... that cover KICKS ASS. The CD is out by now, I take it?

I'm still not entirely clear what it is, though.... is it just an official release of the original recording of Jerusalem? (i.e. the 65 minute one)? I am definitely gonna pick it up, though, even if just for the cover art.

- Chris

May 23, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #806 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Haha... that cover KICKS ASS. The CD is out by now, I take it?

I'm still not entirely clear what it is, though.... is it just an official release of the original recording of Jerusalem? (i.e. the 65 minute one)? I am definitely gonna pick it up, though, even if just for the cover art.

- Chris

Yes, plus an unreleased live track that was never recorded in the studio.

May 24, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #808 of 1,066
SHAPE OF DESPAIR
Is it possible to make 10+ minute funeral doom tracks fresh and inventive without being repetitive........the answer here is yes!

This music is different in style and tone vs My Dying Bride however, SOD has a haunting ghostly quality achieved by using a droning wash of sound swirling around various chorus wails and very deep slow rasp main death vocals occassionally make their evil appearance.........like doom/shoegazing combo, or a doomy version of LOVE SPIRALS DOWNWARDS

Overall effect is like falling endlessly into a dark abyss, yet at the same time feeling a strange tranquility..........buy these now you fools (dusty and KR were right about these)

-shades of 9/10
-angels of distress 9.5/10

I have much much more new dark metal to absorb
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #809 of 1,066
You are becoming a true master of the dark arts, now go and buy that Funeral CD In Fields of Pestilent Grief!

Quote:

From Norway comes FUNERAL. This Scandinavian outfit delivers their brand of depressing gothic DOOM spiced with both melody & brutality. Funeral has taken the doom genre to new heights with their CD, guaranteed to send you into deep depression. Formed in 1991 by drummer Anders Eek, whom together with his band members are heavily into both classical music (such as Grieg & Dvorak), & bands like Candlemass, Black Sabbath, etc. This combination of influences creates the extremely atmospheric sound Norwegian Funeral has become well-known for.

http://www.redstream.org/html/recordDetail.php?ID=5310

May 24, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #810 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
SHAPE OF DESPAIR
Is it possible to make 10+ minute funeral doom tracks fresh and inventive without being repetitive........the answer here is yes!

Excellent! I'm glad you ended up liking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back