Darkest desires part 2
May 16, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #781 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
GRAVELAND
Yes yes yes......this is what you would get if you combined early Nokturnal Mortum and Summoning, waves of dark melodic sounds wash over you like forboding clouds of death, divine. I have already ordered more, 9/10
-carpathian wolves
-thousand swords
-celtic winter
-immortal pride

Graveland kicks ass, I don't agree with their politics, but the music is unmistakably bad-ass!

Some metal news :

TYPE O NEGATIVE
frontman Peter Steele is working on a new project with drummer Steve Tobin (Dust To Dust) and guitarist Paul Bento that is said to be a heavy, melodic cross between Type O and Audioslave – meanwhile Type O Negative’s new album ‘Life Is Killing Me’ is due out on 6/17.

ANCIENT CEREMONY
church and city government have forbidden the band’s performance at Germany’s Summerbreeze Open Air because of the their satanic and blasphemous attitude - promoters were told the whole event would be cancelled if the band was allowed to play forcing them to take Ancient Ceremony off the bill.

PANTERA
both Phil Anselmo and Vinnie Paul have made statements recently that indicate that Pantera is on indefinite hiatus – Anselmo is currently concentrating on Superjoint Ritual, while Vinnie Paul and Dimebag Darrell are working with vocalist Pat Lachman (Halford) on a project called Newfound Power.

Linkage :

Interview with Amon Amarth : http://www.metalupdate.com/interviewamon.html

Review of Darkthrone 'Hate Them'
http://www.metaljudgment.com/summary...ne_frames.html

DVD review of Death Is Just The Beginning - Vol. 7 (DVD)
http://www.metaljudgment.com/summary...is_frames.html

May 18, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #782 of 1,066
ALMORA - Gates of Time

An epic and ethereal fusion of medieval folklore and true heavy metal anthems utilizing violins throughout as well as flutes, melodic twin guitar leads, classical themes and melodies and enchanting, Operatic female vocals interwoven with clean Male vocals. An excellent piece of true metal with an ancient, medieval touch!

OK, I'm probably the only one here who has a weakness for metal operatic female vocals. And yes, this type of music is getting overdone. Sopranos are coming out of the woodwork. But this band pulls it off with enough of their own style that it all comes together well. The cd is pretty well-recorded. And I have never heard a recording yet in which a female singer hits the high notes that she does on this one. Sends chills up my spine. There is variety to the vocals throughout; definitely not operatic overkill like some bands. Because of all this I give it 8.5/10.

May 18, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #783 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
ALMORA - Gates of Time

I almost bought the group listed right below this one at Sonic Cathedral called AMARAN........they had it at The End for a couple days then sold out. Too bad they don't have any music samples at SC and very few at The End.

BURZUM Trilogy
Well finished listening to first three albums:
-burzum/aske
-det som engang var
-hvis lyset tar oss
all three are very good and rank in the 8/10 range. Each album contains one or more instrumental tracks which can be safely skipped. Also some of the short intro/outro pieces are pretty lame
but still much solid meldodic often mid tempo type dark metal, comparable to Dimmu "stormblast" in style. I would also like to see more tempo variation within each song.

Burzum (christian vikernes aka count grishnackh) has a cool death vocal which is a somewhat high pitch wail/screech but he does not use effective variation in vocal technique which limits his musical range on these three. All three Cds have nice digipak packaging. Final ranking:
-hvis lyset 8.5/10 (4 tracks, skip track 4, still leaves 30+ min)
-burzum/aske 8.5/10
-det som 8/10

BTW currently serving prison term for murder of fellow MAYHEM band member Euronymous.

Avante Guard/Progressive Black Metal
Anyone else notice all the new releases trying to take dark metal in new directions similar to ARCTURUS "sham mirrors" For instance I was considering:
ENSLAVED - below the lights
SOLEFALD - harmonia universali
the problem is when you push the envelope it's a fine line between masterpiece/sucks big time, requires careful sampling whenever possible to see what you are getting into.

Anyone heard either of these new CDs?

May 18, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #785 of 1,066
KR
I am rapidly becoming MARDUK fan. I am now listening to "grand danse macbre" and really like it, more melodic and mid tempo vs early material. I like it so much ordered newest CD "world funeral"

This makes 4-5 MARDUK albums now.

May 18, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #786 of 1,066
Quote:

KR
I am rapidly becoming MARDUK fan. I am now listening to "grand danse macbre" and really like it, more melodic and mid tempo vs early material. I like it so much ordered newest CD "world funeral"

This makes 4-5 MARDUK albums now.

My friend loves them, but they are not my cup of tea. So like, rock on
wink.gif

He is also a huge fan of Enslaved, so take that for what you will.

Some new releases that might be worth looking into for people here :

SINISTER - Savage Or Grace

Sinister return to their early extremely technical and precise style with female vocalist Rachel Hayzer (ex-Occult) steamrolling the way

PALE FOREST - Anonymous Caesar

Brand new 5 Tracks EP featuring a new track, a cover for Pink Floyd’s “Welcome to the Machine”, two live tracks and a remix. Digipak!

MORS PRINCIPIUM EST - Inhumanity

It's not often that such a highly gifted band comes out of the metal underground.

With only a couple of demos under their belt, Mors Principium Est have recorded a masterpiece of Finnish melodic death/thrash metal that will be worshipped by fans of early Soilwork and In Flames.

Musically diversify and wealthy in galloping melodies and incredible solos, Mors Principium Est have packed their debut album 'Inhumanity' with classic and freshly forged metal songs for the new century.

DISPATCHED - Terrorizer

Second release by Sweden’s Dispatched. After the Thrash / black metal mayhem “Motherwar” Dispatched strike again with terrorizing effort, blending traditional melodic death metal with edgy thrashing vibe. For fans of In Flames, Soilwork and even Naglfar

May 18, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #787 of 1,066
Quote:

I almost bought the group listed right below this one at Sonic Cathedral called AMARAN........they had it at The End for a couple days then sold out. Too bad they don't have any music samples at SC and very few at The End.

My notes on AMARAN say it's melodic heavy metal/hard rock with only female vocals, and overall is unremarkable, so I haven't gotten it.

I've talked to the guy (John - info@soniccathedral.com) behind SC about reviews and sound samples, and he says at least some more reviews are coming. He is good about giving honest appraisals of bands if you email him with questions. But I don't know what's up with The End. They sure have fewer samples these days. Samples are extra work, but do sell albums. Sometimes a band has no website, and nothing can be found with WinMX etc, and who wants to take a chance on an album if it has no reviews or sound samples?

May 18, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #788 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by lethoso
just wondering if anyone can recommend me some good darkwave?
thanks folks....

If you mean darkwave as in dark ambient music vs gothic rock which many people confuse, then one of the best groups is LYCIA. They actually have several good albums and nice 2 CD collection:
LYCIA

On the same record label (projekt) I like the group LOVE SPIRALS DOWNWARDS, they have nice collection:
LSD

Another popular Projekt artist is BLACK TAPE FOR A BLUE GIRL but I don't have anything by them.

Your avatar is also the artwork used on GRAVELAND - Impaler's Wolves CD........do you own this?

May 19, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #789 of 1,066
Quote:

If you mean darkwave as in dark ambient music vs gothic rock which many people confuse, then one of the best groups is LYCIA.

On the same record label (projekt) I like the group LOVE SPIRALS DOWNWARDS

Another popular Projekt artist is BLACK TAPE FOR A BLUE GIRL but I don't have anything by them.

Your avatar is also the artwork used on GRAVELAND - Impaler's Wolves CD........do you own this?

i don't own the graveland cd, found the artwork in my travels, was reading about the historical vlad tepes and found that portrait.

i found some tracks on mp3.com, and that music was indeed the sort of stuff i was looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2003 at 10:35 AM Post #792 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
PALE FOREST - Anonymous Caesar

Brand new 5 Tracks EP featuring a new track, a cover for Pink Floyd’s “Welcome to the Machine”, two live tracks and a remix. Digipak!

MORS PRINCIPIUM EST - Inhumanity

It's not often that such a highly gifted band comes out of the metal underground.

With only a couple of demos under their belt, Mors Principium Est have recorded a masterpiece of Finnish melodic death/thrash metal that will be worshipped by fans of early Soilwork and In Flames.

Musically diversify and wealthy in galloping melodies and incredible solos, Mors Principium Est have packed their debut album 'Inhumanity' with classic and freshly forged metal songs for the new century.

DISPATCHED - Terrorizer

Second release by Sweden’s Dispatched. After the Thrash / black metal mayhem “Motherwar” Dispatched strike again with terrorizing effort, blending traditional melodic death metal with edgy thrashing vibe. For fans of In Flames, Soilwork and even Naglfar

Please forgive me but, what do these reviews mean when they say "melodic"? When I hear that word I tend to think of Lawrence Welk. Would Darkthrone-Ravishing Grimness be melodic? (I hope) Would it be instead maybe the song The Jester Race by InFlames? I like that song.

May 20, 2003 at 11:30 AM Post #793 of 1,066
Quote:

I already own the 1st three........I believe these are the TRUE ones right?

I thought Darkthrone's first 2 albums had death influences, and it wasn't until Under a Funeral Moon that they went 100% black metal.

What do you think of their Goatlord album? I am having trouble finding Transylvanian Hunger and Under a Funeral Moon.
Would Blaze in the Northern Sky be worthwhile?

May 20, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #794 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Please forgive me but, what do these reviews mean when they say "melodic"? When I hear that word I tend to think of Lawrence Welk. Would Darkthrone-Ravishing Grimness be melodic? (I hope) Would it be instead maybe the song The Jester Race by InFlames? I like that song.

Melody in basic music terms means a recognizable pattern of notes, three general elements of music would be:
-melody (logical recognizable pattern of notes)
-harmony (interaction of notes/instruments when played together)
-rythm (pace or style of playing notes)
Of course all three of these tie together to create the overall sound or tune.

If music has very strong melodic qualities it seems organized and logically flowing, has a theme and overal structure, can be easily hummed etc. The lack of melody sounds chaotic, thrashy, noisy, helter skelter etc. So it is a relative term when used describing metal music.

TAAKE
Now this is some really good old fashioned black metal, sounds like great 1991-94 stuff, as a matter fact the 1st TAAKE album goes into my top 20 list........it is that dam good. Music has many tempo breaks and all kinds of creative touches, death vocals are top notch and use various techniques throughout album unlike BURZUM for instance, great epic pagan melodies.......black metal not quite dead yet, hail TAAKE.

The End doesn't carry these, but both can be purchased at Redstream, get them they are essential:
-nattesid der porten vid 1999, 10/10 (my top 20 list)
-Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik 2002, 9/10

TAAKE

May 20, 2003 at 12:12 PM Post #795 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I thought Darkthrone's first 2 albums had death influences, and it wasn't until Under a Funeral Moon that they went 100% black metal.
What do you think of their Goatlord album? I am having trouble finding Transylvanian Hunger and Under a Funeral Moon.
Would Blaze in the Northern Sky be worthwhile?

Darkthrone starting with "balze northern sky" is 100% black metal, they virtually defined the esthetic. Definitely get "northern sky" available everywhere, "funeral moon" is being released again as enhanced remaster 6/10/03, "transylvanian" harder to find but Amazon and Evil Music have it now.........these three albums are the essential ones, although some may not like the raw style employed here, personally they are not my favs.

"goatlord" I have not heard, but many say it is one of their weakest albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back