Darker leaning neutral headphones for monitoring?
Sep 22, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 25
Sep 22, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 25
Those won't suit him if he is looking for neutral leaning dark. Those are on the bright side.

I'd give HD58X a consideration as well.
My HD58X arrived a few weeks ago, I give them two thumbs up :)

Sep 22, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 25
My HD58X arrived a few weeks ago, I give them two thumbs up :)
Glad you like them. I like them a lot as well, and I don't think I've ever been so into a headphone as much as the HD58X. I think it's the best match I've run into so far. I find it to be a very transparent headphone.

It's the most engaging sounding headphone for me I think.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #19 of 25
Thoughts on HD6XX:
Damn, these are TIGHT. Shape seems better on the HD6XX, whereas pressure and materials on the DT880. Still, I wonder how fast these will get uncomfortable?
The clamping force of the HD6XX is strong out of the box, but it is easily adjusted:
Right now, the HD6XX is good but the warmness doesn't fit everything I listen to, like "Dance to This" video below. I listen to mainly top 40 (female vocal) pop and various electronic music (experimental, progressive, bassline, minimal), however I want something that is also in the reference/neutral category.
Something to consider not only for HD6XX but also other headphones, is Sonarworks True-Fi software (https://sonarworks.com/truefi). It applies calibrated equalization to produce neutral response for a large number of headphones that they have measured. I use it with my HD6XX and Sony 1000XM2, and it works great. Regular price is $79. There is a 10 day free trial, and they are on the last day of a 30% off sale (ends 9/23). So you can try it free today, and if you like it, you still have a chance to get in on the sale.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 25
The clamping force of the HD6XX is strong out of the box, but it is easily adjusted:
Something to consider not only for HD6XX but also other headphones, is Sonarworks True-Fi software (https://sonarworks.com/truefi). It applies calibrated equalization to produce neutral response for a large number of headphones that they have measured. I use it with my HD6XX and Sony 1000XM2, and it works great. Regular price is $79. There is a 10 day free trial, and they are on the last day of a 30% off sale (ends 9/23). So you can try it free today, and if you like it, you still have a chance to get in on the sale.

I guess I can give that a go. I've tried something similar Toneboosters Morphit, but I found it to be a little strange sounding.

It I had more money I'd buy Dirac live with the microphone.

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 25
I guess I can give that a go. I've tried something similar Toneboosters Morphit, but I found it to be a little strange sounding.

It I had more money I'd buy Dirac live with the microphone.
Just make sure you only have the metal strap that you are bending pull them all the way out on the adjustment and only grab hold of metal and no plastic or it can break. Do it in small increments and it will definitely help with the clamp issue on them.

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #23 of 25
But that's room correction for speakers. An equivalent for headphones is a problem because of inconsistent measurement techniques.
You're right, I was thinking of the Sonarworks version that is sold with a mic that also does room correction as well. It's sold at a similar or same price so I was confusing them. That being said, from what I've read on forums and such, Dirac Live is superior to it when it comes to impulse control and such, so I wish they'd put out a headphone version. I really feel like they have superior technology. I actually did a bunch of research on the subject (before I even made this thread) on digital room correction and DSP for headphones and that's how I came to that conclusion. I forgot all about the Sonarworks True-Fi though and just went straight for Reference 4; I'm gonna have to demo the True-Fi.

My experience with a similar program (Toneboosters Morphit) is it works well to a degree. It's cheaper and the demo has almost no limitations, that's why I just kept it installed but never have relied on it because I haven't bought it. With my DT 880, it improved them, but I still felt it was a bit off.

I just loaded it up again and it seems to work better on the HD6XX. Hmm, I'm gonna have to seriously get a chance and compare it to Sonarworks offerings now, even though they are both the same kind of products.

Just make sure you only have the metal strap that you are bending pull them all the way out on the adjustment and only grab hold of metal and no plastic or it can break. Do it in small increments and it will definitely help with the clamp issue on them.
They still are pretty tight but for now I will see if I can just break them in. It's going better. I'm pretty sure I will not keep them in the long run, they are a bit too warm/dull sounding for me.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #24 of 25
Oh, and one other quick thing: I also forgot to mention that Morphit has a feature to simulate other headphones. It's very hit or miss because an EQ curve can only go so far, so sometimes when you emulate a different pair of headphones it sounds horrific, but it's fun to play around with and see how realistic (or not) it is or discover novel sound signatures.

For example, I found DT 880 emulating Superlux HD668B or 681 to be a good combination, but Massdrop HD6XX to Sennheiser HD239 is absolute fire!!! It is no longer in the realm of neutral at all, but I personally love this combination! The entire sub-bass and bass region jumps out like nobody's business, but the midrange doesn't get lost or recessed in the process. It also makes the highs a hell of a lot nicer sounding than the HD6XX actually is, but not DT 880 level annoying with the wrong frequencies or too much of a boost. I'm telling you, if you have the HD6XX or 650, you have to try this combination out. It is definitely a V-shaped transformation that is BASS HEAVY, but it fits so well, or at least with the music I listen to! Especially with Ariana Grande. I'm not a huge fan of her, but every once in a while she comes out with something that I absolutely love. This combination is heaven with her music in general so far. I've always equated a V-shape signature with the cons of being both dark AND bright (so boomy, yet also harsh, and maybe with a midrange that gets lost), but this is like the perfect finessing of it to avoid those problems and is so fun!

Here is a high resolution image of what EQ is going on:
Love this morphit hd6xx combination.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back