Dark Souls!
Apr 12, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #151 of 299
Its in the Q&A of gamekult

Quote:
Q: The demo presented during the event ran on PC. This means there is also a PC version developed in-house?

A: The version shown before the interview actually ran on PC. If the first Dark Souls was adapted from consoles to PC, this time, it's the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which the warranty is adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is being developed simultaneously on different machines directly internally.

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/zoom-dark-souls-ii-A108297.html

its in french. I took the translation from NeoGAF

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #152 of 299
I don't get it... where does this improvement with the frame rate of the pc version come into play? Why can't the ps3 version have the same visual quality, is the problem with the ps3 itself? And why couldn't they do a mod like they did with the pc version for a better frame rate?

The new game looks primo. Another long wait for a Souls game.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #153 of 299
Quote:
I don't get it... where does this improvement with the frame rate of the pc version come into play? Why can't the ps3 version have the same visual quality, is the problem with the ps3 itself? And why couldn't they do a mod like they did with the pc version for a better frame rate?

The new game looks primo. Another long wait for a Souls game.

I don't understand what you mean by improvement with the frame rate of the pc version. The pc version of Dark Souls is better frame rate-wise compared to the ps3 version if you have a good pc but is still a straight up port with sub-par optimization. Still I have it maxed out with all possible mods and it it looks way way better on my pc than on my ps3 and almost doesn't lag aside from some pvp matches the usual Blighttown hiccups (still pretty rare compared to the ps3 version). 
As far as graphics - it's pretty obvious why - because the ps3 is old and even though most games on it have acceptable graphics, (especially if they are exclusives) the hardware is just very old. You don't get full hd resolution, all the superior anti-aliasing techniques, AO and all the fancy DX10 and DX11 features and etc. 
And modders can't perform miracles and in their free time fix and optimize a game that a whole team of programmers can't or are too lazy to bother with.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #154 of 299
I've never seen what Dark Souls looks like on a high running PC so I'm just wondering why everybody is saying it looks so much better. I figured with HD tv's and current gaming platforms it doesn't get much better. I'm 28 and grew up with PC's always being superior to consoles, but just wondering what the edge is now... If the frame rate is all that's slowing down the console version of Dark Souls why can't that be fixed on consoles?

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #155 of 299
The PC doesn't really offer anything different to console, you can still get insta-kill with a hammer to the face. I played roughly 600 hrs on console and saw no frame rate drop.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #156 of 299
Well I mean, if you pan around using the right analog camera control button and take a good look at your environment like you do a million times playing this game, does it "look" better on the PC? And why?

I always notice the visual quality degrades in certain places (blighttown) while "on the move." is this where the improvements are?

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #157 of 299
Quote:
Well I mean, if you pan around using the right analog camera control button and take a good look at your environment like you do a million times playing this game, does it "look" better on the PC? And why?

I always notice the visual quality degrades in certain places (blighttown) while "on the move." is this where the improvements are?

oh blighttown...

totally forgot about that place, the lag from console is gone, yes

with graphics fix, it will "look" better:

the fix makes it more detailed and shinier too which I am not a fan of

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #158 of 299
Well, it looks better because of several factors one being the higher resolution and the sharper textures. When I go back to the ps3 version now and it looks pretty blurry  and jagged in comparison

edit: and actually the above video doesn't show how it looks the best as with FXAA injector you can make textures even sharper and reduces even more any jagged lines and blurriness in the distance and I personally changed the colors a bit to make it look grittier

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #159 of 299
In short, the resolution plays the biggest role.  Modern HDTVs aren't really higher quality than any good modern LCD computer monitor, especially considering that often times they employ too many types of post-processing that can otherwise alter the image from its original state (think coloring the sound for hi-fi terms)  The thing is that ps3 and xbox360 play most games in sub-hd resolution, usually only 960x540.  Whereas something like my computer can play the game at 2560x1440.  That's literally 7x the detail and information I can get for the same monitor.  Here are some comparisons with a couple of the game's bosses (best to make these 100% zoom):

Gaping Dragon 960x540
Gaping Dragon 2560x1440

Quelaag 960x540
Quelaag 2560x1440

Artorias 960x540
Artorias 2560x1440

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #160 of 299
Yeah, in this case resolution makes the biggest difference as obviously the pc version as a simple port has only anti-aliasing and motion blur on and off settings and lacks all the fancy settings pc games have and dx10 or dx11 support. So Full hd resolution or upscaling above it make quite the difference, especially on big screens as Dark Souls just like 99% of the other ps3 games has 1280x720 resolution.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #161 of 299
It's been a good 3 years since I last touched Demon's Souls, so I decided to give it a runthrough a couple days ago to refresh myself.  Tower of Latria was always my fav world but I forgot how cool Stonefang Tunnel was.

4 hours in and got through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1.  Will probably do 3-2, 4-2 and 5-2 in my next two hour segment.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #162 of 299
I'll always have a huge space in my heart for Demon's Souls *sniff* And yeah Stonefang Tunnel is absolute genius level design. The whole area with Patches and that underground tunnel with the bearbugs is awesome.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #163 of 299
Yeah, Demon's Souls is special alright. I remember reading all the opinions and reviews on it and how many people wanted an international English release coz at the time everyone was importing it from Japan and I just bought a ps3 just for it. Anyway, 20 minutes ago I decided to give it a go as I also haven't played it for years and it brought back memories. I remembered how scared I was in the beginning (probably way more than I should have been due to all the warnings for the high difficulty, which made me very wary). I remember how Vanguard destroyed me with a couple of hits sending me to the Nexus. Now it was a piece of cake - he died very quickly. He just seemed so slow and predictable. That just shows how much Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have improved my skills as a gamer. That's just an awesome franchise that teaches you to think before rushing into battle; to analyze the enemies' movements and predict them and search for their weaknesses; and most of all teaches you to become a patient gamer that keeps his cool no matter how many times you die in a stupid manner. Now whatever game I play I just laugh when I die in comparison to all the angry and frustrated people who pollute the voice chat with curses and send hundreds of messages acting like its the end of the world if they die. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #164 of 299
Sub'd!

Been playing this game a lot lately. Slept on it when it first came out but now that I have a capable gaming PC I am addicted.
Just got to Anor Londo last night. Left off trying to get up to those archers that shoot you from the balcony.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #165 of 299
Started again (for the 4th time) after some months without playing it. This time I went with a DEX/FAITH. Still much fun.

Hope to play Demon's someday (Xbox only user here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back