Dark Souls!
Feb 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #121 of 299
Quote:
hilarious

LOL The silver knight without pants almost killed me. I think the guy only used clips with some total noobs though coz it's very easy to tell apart all those enemies which a re big are taller and a player in that armor. I can't believe he though he would ever pass for a royal sentinel and surely enough he didn't LOL

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #122 of 299
Sure wish they had Demon Souls for the Xbox 360..Do you think they'll ever port it?
Doesn't make sense with Dark Souls 2 coming out...

For those that have played Demon Souls and Dark Souls, is Dark Souls really harder? Highly unlikely.

Never played Demon Souls since i've sold my PS3 a few months ago.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #123 of 299
Dark Souls is indeed way harder.  I was a seasoned Demon's Souls vet, and I came into Dark Souls dying quite a bit-- although I was very sick when I first got the game and started playing it.  In general, the enemies are harder and the weapons less powerful in Dark Souls.  The bosses aren't as easily cheesed either-- you can cheese quite a bit of the  Demon's Souls bosses.

Make no mistake though there's still moments of Demon's Souls that are classic in difficulty, such as 3-2, 4-2 and 5-2.

Most of my deaths in both games have come from gravity, though.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #124 of 299
I consider Demon's Souls harder. There is changing world tendency, black phantoms and you have to pass the whole area without dying to get to the next one. In dark Souls the way the bonfires are positioned, the shortcuts and all the intersecting areas in the game make it quite easier to progress. You pretty much can get to the certain area boss in the location for like 2 minutes if he kills you. In Dark Souls the harder places are the ones with cheap deaths like with the archers in Anor Londo. And the bosses are as predictable. Also, the old king Allant was a way more challenging final boss (of course, I'm talking about taking him on in a fair fight without all the cheap tactics)than the super easy Gwyn that you can kill in like one minute.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #126 of 299
Well, it's always easier not playing in human form but that's not the point. Also, back in the day there were certain days when the world tendency would be pure black for everyone who's playing online. Now probably there aren't events and stuff like that as the game doesn't have the same support if any at all. And still is harder than Dark Souls - it's way harder and slower to farm and upgrade your stuff and most of all for some weirs reason or just not as good physics engine there are a lot more falling deaths than in Dark Souls. They did make Dark Souls a lot easier when the added the option to buy twinkling titanite which was a PITA to farm and when the added the additional locations for warping. I don't know, I might be biased coz when Dark Souls came out and I started playing it I already had hundreds of hours on Demon's Souls, so I was quite used to the mechanics of the game, which might have made it easier for me but still I think that all those intersecting worlds, shortcuts and stuff made it too easy. On Demon's Souls I was always worried that I'll die before reaching the boss and it did happen often while on Dark Souls it's pretty easy to avoid any fighting and reach the boss in no time. Just look at the speedruns. Yeah, it's a little bit trick but the simple fact that it's possible to get it down to around 1 hour (which is pretty close to the Demon's Souls speedruns even though Dark Souls has a lot more content and area to cover) just proves my point. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #127 of 299
The 1 hour Dark Souls speedruns made use of a horribly game-breaking glitch that utilized a falling death and quick save/load to get directly into the final area.  It's not really a component of Dark Souls' lack of difficulty.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #128 of 299
Quote:
The 1 hour Dark Souls speedruns made use of a horribly game-breaking glitch that utilized a falling death and quick save/load to get directly into the final area.  It's not really a component of Dark Souls' lack of difficulty.

Well, I did say around 1 hour but there are a bunch of speedruns for under 2 hours without the kiln glitch, so pretty impressive when you take into consideration that's with all the loading times which are a lot more than on Demon's Souls with the linear separate worlds. And still I'm not saying Dark Souls lacks difficulty it is difficult just a tad less than Demon's Souls

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #129 of 299
And I don't really understand what twinkling titanite has anything to do with difficulty.  All the best weapons are upgraded through regular titanite.  Titanite upgrades armor, shields and some special enemy weapons, but almost all the enemy weapons are bad.

The teleporting thing I don't really see as an argument either.  Demon's Souls provides you with the nexus-- which conveniently warps you to the start of every world you want.  It's not like a lot of the worlds in Demon's Souls don't have shortcuts either, and those shortcuts certainly don't get reset.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #130 of 299
Quote:
And I don't really understand what twinkling titanite has anything to do with difficulty.  All the best weapons are upgraded through regular titanite.  Titanite upgrades armor, shields and some special enemy weapons, but almost all the enemy weapons are bad.

The teleporting thing I don't really see as an argument either.  Demon's Souls provides you with the nexus-- which conveniently warps you to the start of every world you want.  It's not like a lot of the worlds in Demon's Souls don't have shortcuts either, and those shortcuts certainly don't get reset.

Because with twinkling titanite you can upgrade the black knights' weapons like the halberd which are pretty much the base of every Dark Souls speedrun. But yeah armor too as the Black Iron set is pretty nice on +5 and the lightest of the good heavy armors bunch. 
I have no issues with the Nexus. My point is that from a certain bonfire in Dark Souls to the boss in that area you can almost always get in under 2 minutes. I'm not referring to cheap shortcuts like in the Duke's Archives elevator or like the rolling drop in 4-1 on Demon's Souls etc. It's just that in half an hour you can pretty much try fighting every given boss in Dark Souls if he kills you at least a few times while on Demon's Souls it's way harder to even reach the boss as due to the level design it's way harder to just avoid enemies or getting randomly hit and killed before opening a shortcut if any. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #131 of 299
Almost broke my keyboard the first time I played it in frustration..took about a 2 month break and decided to pick it back up and it's awesome!
I can't play it as much as other games because it does have a higher tendency to anger me and it's definitely not one of the games I play to relieve stress at the end of the day..but still really good!

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #132 of 299
Quote:
Almost broke my keyboard the first time I played it in frustration..took about a 2 month break and decided to pick it back up and it's awesome!
I can't play it as much as other games because it does have a higher tendency to anger me and it's definitely not one of the games I play to relieve stress at the end of the day..but still really good!

You shouldn't frustrate when playing Dark Souls - you should just laugh at the stupid deaths. Although I can guess why you almost broke your keyboard - because you played the game with a keyboard in the first place LOL

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #134 of 299
Demon's Souls is going to be free on PS+ for April. I loved Dark Souls but only recently got a PS3 and I've been thinking about buying Demon's Souls so I'm pumped. Feel like all my time spent on Dark Souls should have me pretty prepared too.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #135 of 299
Quote:
You shouldn't frustrate when playing Dark Souls - you should just laugh at the stupid deaths. Although I can guess why you almost broke your keyboard - because you played the game with a keyboard in the first place LOL

Well, it's actually rather embarrassing...lol I didn't start playing until I got a PC controller but I just kept DYING and I made the mistake of playing after a bad day so I was already mad and then I finally was like NO JUST NO I'M DONE and closed the game and when my friend asked how my time in dark souls was, angrily typing is what almost broke my keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back