Dark Side of the Moon (best version?)
Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

BluFalcon

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I had this album on cassette that's been chewed to bits, so I'm looking to finally replace it (either on vinyl or CD/SACD).  Searching on-line I see that there are original masters, re-masters, 30th Anniversary, imports from country x/y/z.. etc.  So nowadays, what's the best or definitive recording of Dark Side of the Moon? 

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 24
I still vote for Seamus Blake - "Jazz Side of the Moon"

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Oh.  I see this subject has been discussed to death.  Disregard. 

It's been done to death in multiple threads.  But good luck finding those threads with the non-functional forum search.

Here's a thread to check out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/498457/just-bought-an-original-1st-edition-1983-harvest-records-pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon-best-mastering-ever

There's many others, but good luck finding them. 
triportsad.gif

My suggestion is to start with the hybrid SACD version.  It has a CD layer so you can rip/play it as a regular CD even if you don't have an SACD player.  I really like the sound of the toms on the SACD version.  Treble-heads and detail-heads will also like it better than the older versions.  But if you're already playing with a bright headphone you might also find the MFSL version or pre-1992 release to be a perfect headphone listening companion.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 24
I just stopped by my local brick and mortar music store yesterday and picked up the '92 release.  That's all they had in the store at the moment and I was jonesing for that album. I'll pick up the SACD version also and give it a listen.  Thanks, bro.   

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
My suggestion is to start with the hybrid SACD version.  It has a CD layer so you can rip/play it as a regular CD even if you don't have an SACD player.  I really like the sound of the toms on the SACD version.  Treble-heads and detail-heads will also like it better than the older versions.  But if you're already playing with a bright headphone you might also find the MFSL version or pre-1992 release to be a perfect headphone listening companion.

From what I read the Red Book layer on the hybrid SACD is terrible. I have no personal experience with it though.

I have the "Black Triangle" version. I don't have a physical copy though, just digital. If you want to know where you can download it, PM me.
You can read a little about it here: http://www.hokafloyd.com/CDHOKA/dark_side_of_the_moon_toshiba/Dark%20Side%20Of%20The%20Moon%20MFSL.htm

I'd really like to get the MFSL Ultradisc, but they go for $200+ IIRC

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 24
The CD layer of the SACD is by no means terrible.  It is very similar to the high res stereo SACD layer.  The CD layer got a bit (very little) of compression and loudnessing, but by no means enough to make it terrible.  Just enough loudnessing and compression that it is possible to ABX the difference between the CD layer and SACD layer, but not enough to make it terrible.  It still sounds good.  And you could argue that it is the best CD release of the album.  "Best" being subjective.

Stereophile did an analysis of the CD layer and the SACD layer from the SACD.  Graphs and numbers and all.  I'd rather listen to the stereo SACD layer (and I've heard it), but if all I had was the CD layer I'd be OK with that.  I own the hybrid SACD version.

The gold MFSL version can be had for around $50 on Amazon.  The $200+ versions are for unopened and still sealed collectors versions.  $50 I think is about fair for it given its limited availability.  $75+ is probably a bit much.  I own the MFSL versions of DSotM and The Wall.  Bought them new back in the late 80s.  Almost bought the MFSL version of Meddle back then, kinda wish I had.  But the MFSL version of Meddle can still be had for about $50 if I really wanted it.  I do like the MFSL versions for headphone listening cause headphones tend to be bright and the MFSL versions are warm and tame the headphone brightness.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
The CD layer of the SACD is by no means terrible.  It is very similar to the high res stereo SACD layer.  The CD layer got a bit (very little) of compression and loudnessing, but by no means enough to make it terrible.  Just enough loudnessing and compression that it is possible to ABX the difference between the CD layer and SACD layer, but not enough to make it terrible.  It still sounds good.  And you could argue that it is the best CD release of the album.  "Best" being subjective.

The gold MFSL version can be had for around $50 on Amazon.  The $200+ versions are for unopened and still sealed collectors versions

Again, I have never listened to it, it's just what I've read on here. Thanks for clarifying it for me. And yes i was referring to the unopened MFSL CDs. I think if I were to buy one I'd get it unopened.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #10 of 24
Well, like I said, I just needed something to hold me over for the time being.  Plan on picking up the 30th Anniversary LP on vinyl and the SACD version as well.  I"m sure my ears will thank me.  Will pass the '92 release off to my son and daughter when they're good and ready.  Thanks for your input, guys. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 24
Talk about DSOTM overkill. I placed a max bid for the MFSL Gold CD and ended up winning the auction.  Didn't expect to win actually.  So I now have the 180 grain vinyl, SACD and MFSL versions all coming in this week.  Ridiculous. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Talk about DSOTM overkill. I placed a max bid for the MFSL Gold CD and ended up winning the auction.  Didn't expect to win actually.  So I now have the 180 grain vinyl, SACD and MFSL versions all coming in this week.  Ridiculous. 

Not ridiculous at all.  It's what I would call the beginnings of a good collection.  :)

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Haha, nice. Give me one! You totally don't need all of those!

You're absolutely right.  Technically I don't need any  of my music.  lol    Mostly it's to satisfy my curiosity and determine which version I find most stimulating (if my ears can detect any significant differences at all).  I'll likely keep them all no matter the result of my findings anyway. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

Not ridiculous at all.  It's what I would call the beginnings of a good collection.  :)

Agreed.  DSOTM is definitely one of those albums I don't mind having multiple copies of.  And thanks for the support. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back