Dark Side of the Moon (best version?)
Jan 18, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #16 of 24
Best version is the Japanese Black Triangle CD. If you can't find that version, get the SACD version.
wink_face.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 24
I did check out the Japanese Black Triangle version (FLAC), which sounds like a very smooth, mellow and warm mix.  Maybe I'm not 'audiophile' enough, but I can't decide whether I like the MFSL version or the Black Triangle version better.  I can certainly hear the difference in both versions, but just can't rank one above the other.  I was constantly switching back and forth from Black Triangle version running on foobar and the MFSL disc playing through WMP.  The best I can describe it is the BT version seemed to have a more warm, natural analog sound, while the MFSL seemed to have a more enhanced, clean, and ultra hi-fi stereo sound if that makes sense. 

Now I will say that I was completely and utterly blown away by the SACD version.  You really haven't truly experienced this album until you've heard it in surround sound.  To say the music "comes alive" would be an understatement.  I literally sat in my listening sweet spot with eyes closed, smiling from ear to ear, immersed for all of 43 minutes in pure audio ecstasy.  I was transported through a vast soundscape, experiencing something that was both all too familiar, yet so different as I explored the intricate details of this finely woven sonic tapestry.  The music penetrated my mind, body and soul, elevating me to a higher level of appreciation and understanding for this genius work of music.  IMO, short of going back in time and being in the actual studio when this album was recorded, there's no better way to experience this album.    

BTW, I'm listening to the Black Triangle version right now. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 24
keep in mind a lossless rip of the black triangle version more than likely has not had any deemphasis applied (and the disc does indeed use preemphasis)

i have this on an original US vinyl pressing, a cassette copy, and the hybrid SACD (don't have SACD player at the moment)... (as well as lossless rips of the black triangle and mfsl CDs)

my favorite is the black triangle

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #19 of 24
The lossless rip I got is supposedly the de-emphasized version.  Certainly sounds de-emphasized to me, but I don't have a "pre-emphasized" version to compare it to.  lol 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #20 of 24
(-_-)" so far I am listening to the FLAC version of this great album.

can anyone please show me which or where is the exact different between the different mastering as I'm curios ?

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #21 of 24
I would say it comes down to two choices for me.  Either the Black Triangle/Black Face Harvest with the following EAC numbers:

Track  1
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-01 Speak To Me,Breathe.wav
     Peak level 39.9 %
     Extraction speed 5.8 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 7FAA72BE
     Accurately ripped (confidence 67)  [CF3EE2EB]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  2
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-02 On The Run.wav
     Peak level 43.3 %
     Extraction speed 8.4 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 5B9D9146
     Accurately ripped (confidence 66)  [50D38E60]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  3
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-03 Time.wav
     Peak level 70.1 %
     Extraction speed 9.3 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC B2031462
     Accurately ripped (confidence 66)  [396C660A]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  4
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-04 The Great Gig In The Sky.wav
     Peak level 55.2 %
     Extraction speed 10.1 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 428D4017
     Accurately ripped (confidence 66)  [8D90BA10]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  5
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-05 Money.wav
     Peak level 72.3 %
     Extraction speed 11.0 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 88A8DAAD
     Accurately ripped (confidence 66)  [60A9B0F4]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  6
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-06 Us And Them.wav
     Peak level 44.5 %
     Extraction speed 11.8 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 4349DDE3
     Accurately ripped (confidence 64)  [A7CD2275]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  7
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-07 Any Colour You Like.wav
     Peak level 53.9 %
     Extraction speed 12.2 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 9991735B
     Accurately ripped (confidence 64)  [3164D2C5]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  8
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-08 Brain Damage.wav
     Peak level 54.6 %
     Extraction speed 13.3 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 348DBF9E
     Accurately ripped (confidence 65)  [EBA08A8B]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK
Track  9
     Filename G:\CD\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side Of The Moon (UK Harvest)\1-09 Eclipse.wav
     Peak level 61.2 %
     Extraction speed 12.8 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 1E39618A
     Accurately ripped (confidence 66)  [7223B71E]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK

From what I am reading ^ this is the original Sony mastering used on the very first CDs from Japan.

Either those early discs or the 2011 remaster which imo was very good.  The SACD is very worth it for this album and WYWH if you want surround sound.  There are better versions if you want CD masterings.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 24
i just acquired a 2011 SACD disc minus case that was going to get tossed out at a thrift shop along with a bunch of other discs, mostly grateful dead, because they were in a big CD wallet. i doubt i'll be able to hear the SACD layer on my PC, but i will at least be able to compare it to my harvest disc which is a lot clearer sounding than the commercial release. it is a good sounding recording, up 'till money at least. everything after that sounds lower fi to me like the masters were lost, but i just don't see it as being one of the "best recordings ever" when a lot of acoustic tracks on rykodisc sound even better, particularly planet drum. a lot of vintage recordings sound really great too eg. bobby darrin and a lot of bachelor pad stuff. to my ears, DSoTM sounds very "studio". even blondie's "the tide is high" (including vocals) sounds more acoustic to me, where the PF vocals sound rather dry.

seeing i just got a pair of nice sounding superlux 681 EVO headphones yesterday, i have a system capable of hearing differences better. if i can play the SACD layer, i expect that to sound better.

well... playing the SACD layer on a PC ain't gonna happen. to my ears, the harvest version sounds airier in the treble than the 2011 CD layer, but is probably more ruthless on sibilants without going back and re-listening to the whole thing. i might have to go back and try listening to both on my presonus cans as the superluxes aren't fully broken in yet and could be choking the treble off on both discs. i remember the harvest disc sounding even airier than i just heard it. i can see some preferring the SACD version for being a bit warmer sounding, but i'm biased against that because the commercial release was so warm sounding it was so thick & muddied it obscured HF detail. the SACD CD layer sounds better than that, but my initial impression is the harvest mastering is more open and detailed sounding. i'm glad i caught it selling for $8 at a used record store now.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #23 of 24
There was no SACD released in 2011. The only SACD release of Dark Side Of the Moon was the 2003. I think Analogue Productions was making an SACD release - still in 'TBA' status - but it appears to be a reissue of the 2003, not a new remaster. There was a Blu-ray released in the 2011 Immersion Box Set which includes the same mix as the SACD (2003 5.1 Mix) in 24-bit, 96khz PCM.

As for the best CD version - I have heard them all and my favorite is still the 2011. I have a copy of the Japan Harvest "Blackface" non-TO and didn't like the way it sounded. The volume is too low and it lacks detail. The MFSL was my favorite for a long time, but in a similar case to the MFSL of The Wall, I found the high end to sound congested compared to the 2011. I thought all of the 2011 remasters were done very well. I sold all of the other discs and kept my 2011.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back