Dark & Mystical or Spiritual World Music?
Dec 9, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gåte I know of but havent been able to find a CD yet

Gåte is a norwegian band form there i live, the cd's can be bought at www.cdon.com

Realy good band!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #32 of 35
Värttinä was the first finnish folk-music band to get any recognition outside Finland. I just don't dig them, as their sound is rather "happy", while vast majority of finnish "serious" folk music has always been melancholic, just like finnish music in general. Even a lot of works from Sibelius have a dark mood to them.

As you like Tenhi, you should try "Nest". It's a one man band which used to tour with Tenhi. Synth backgrounds and acoustic Kantele (finnish national instrument) playing. Nest has only two albums, one split cd with isafjort (black metal), and one full album called Woodsmoke. Both are very nice, though a bit hard to find nowadays.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #33 of 35
Enverxis,
you need to check out BBC radio 3 - Verity Sharpe on Late Junction. This woman is amazing, where she finds the music from I don't know. Some years ago she played a traditional Japanese no. from the around 1850 called - Raindrops falling on Washing Stones - sounds ridiculous, absolutely not it was amazing. Music from the Mahgreb/Indonesis/West Africa, she truly plays world music. You mentioned Scandinavia - she has played some beautiful stuff.

You can check the playlists from years back as well. You never know what she will get into next BUT what ever you do, do not waste your time listening to the other dj/presenter - Fiona Talkington - all she plays is pseudo intellectual bollocks, nearly everything she plays sounds like those involved need treatment, or it's just plain boring.

I live in Spain now and would have terrible withdrawal syptoms if I could'nt get this programme on the net.

Stuart

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #34 of 35
As we were talking about Finnish folk music (if you dig that that is) I recomend also Loituma, Folkswagen and HC Anderssen (which is nothing like finnish folk music, well it is, but anyway it's an differend animal)

Also check out Flod, fantastic "folk" group from western finland, they sing in finnish-swedish.

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #35 of 35
I will second the post about Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. His voice is haunting. I would also recommend Richard Hagopian and Omar Faruk Tekbilek. Kind of gypsy music with exotic (to my American ears) instrumentation. They recorded together and separately. I first heard Hagopian and Tekbilek on a Rounder Records sampler. Maybe check out their catalog, although they do emphasize American folk and roots music. Enjoy your exploration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back