Dark & Mystical or Spiritual World Music?
Nov 6, 2006 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
Expanding my musical horizons ever so slowly, filling out various areas of my interest (Metal & Dark Ethereal music well under way), recently I have acquired quite a bit of Neo-Folk & Scandinavian music in which I find particularly fascinating and would like to expand into the more darker & mystical/spiritual areas of world music, Not 100% sure what cultures to be looking at although I know that Tibetan music would be a nice place to start.

edit: would prefer to stick to traditional music, as electronically implimented world music such as Dead can Dance, Delerium etc I am well aware of.

While alot of happy, jumpy music was discussed in the old world music topic, I am looking for something more to my tastes
smily_headphones1.gif

Any recommendations or pointers are appreciated, thanks.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 35
I think you may find something interesting at www.coldmeat.se .Sorry I cant give some specific names but they have a sounds section where you can download examples of the works they released.
Also if you are looking for something dark,odd and different I strongly recommend Univers Zero and Shub Niggurath(if you can find).I wouldn't call them ambient or folk though.

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 35
Very familiar with Cold Meat Catalogue, not quite what I am looking for as they mainly distribute Dark Ambient, Neoclassical, Darkwave, Neofolk and similar Ethereal music types in which I am very fond of & knowledgable about.

Thanks for the recommendations too, will see if they fit the bill.

Not nessacerily looking for something dark and odd, that was just one of the moods I listed, Tibetan Monastic music or something would be one area of music I am specifically looking for CDs from.

Anything that is either dark, spiritual or mystical

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 35
Stephan Micus - Athos (A journey to the holy mountain)

Mysteries of the Yeti (part 1 and 2), the first track on each album is well worth it. (The Call, the Journey -and- Under Mount Kailash)

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 35
speaking of dead can dance, have you heard "spiritchaser", enverxis? it is exactly what you ask for.

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 35
The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath A Cloud
Of the Wand and the Moon
Gae Bolg and the Church of Fand

Nov 7, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 35
Just in case you're not aware of these groups.

Vas -- Persian female vocals plus various ethnic instruments. Similar to Dead Can Dance. Quite acoustic and percussive.
Rasa -- Sanskrit sacred text sung under an electronic mist of sound, with Cello and Sarangi. Their first, eponymous album is a sensual treat; the subsequent works are too Enigma-like for my taste.
Vox -- This groups draws from Middle-eastern, Sephardic and medieval European music and arrange it in modern instrumentation. The CD Divine Rites is wonderful and should be widely available.

For something with a Tibetan inspiration: Dadawa is a female vocalist from southern China who has spent considerable time in Tibet. Much of her music so far are based on her experience there. This is not authentic Tibetan music, but is very powerful and primodial. Hector Zazou's Light in the Dark starts out from the Irish Sean Nos tradition, but incorporates elements from Tibetan music and Japanese Noh theatre, among other things.

The Tibetan vocalist Yungchen Lhamo has recorded a few CDs under Realworld. She has a stunning voice but I think her music is boring. You mileage might vary, of course.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 35
Thanks FalconP, those were the kinds of recommendations I was after
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 35
For a sample of real Tibetan Buddhist ritual music, try the Gyuto Monk's Tibetan Tantric Choir. These days it's possible to obtain full recordings of Tibetan rituals, but they normally don't make good musical for general consumption. The exception would be the kind of harmonic chanting above.

There are also a number of western groups that have taken the Tibetan/Mongolian harmonic chanting technique and developed them much further. David Hykes is the pioneer in this. My favorite album from him is Hearing Solar Winds. Another group is Spectral Voices and their first album Sky is my favorite. It was recorded inside an empty water tower which has since been dismentled.

Andy

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Any recommendations or pointers are appreciated, thanks.

(all quotes are from allmusic.com)

Atman was a very interesting global folk-psychedelia group:

"Polish experimental ethno-folk collective Atman was formed in 1981 by multi-instrumentalists Marek Styczynski, Marek Leszczynski and Piotr Koelcki, who remained the core of the group throughout its lengthy existence; other regular collaborators included vocalist Anna Nacher and Tomek Gulinski, as well as bassist Thomasz Radziuk. Forging an aesthetic they dubbed "forest music" — a sound created with acoustic instruments and Tibetan instruments — the members of Atman divided their time between performing and offering workshops in instrument building and forestry, finally releasing the cassette ...jak rozrzucone po ziemi kamienie... on their own FLY (Freak Living Yourself) label in 1991. Cassettes including Soundreams and Gadajaca Laka followed before Atman made its American debut with the Drunken Fish EP Save the Earth; other efforts for the label include 1997's Personal Forest and 1999's Tradition."

Atman disbanded, and ended up with a much creepier sound as The Magic Carpathians:

"Multi-instrumentalist Marek Styczynski and vocalist Anna Nacher, formerly of the eclectic Polish band Atman, formed the Magic Carpathians in 1999 with a loose coterie of their friends, embarking on an even more experimental trajectory than their former band. Combining electronics with traditional instruments and motifs from around the world, the Carpathians play what could only be described as ethno-folk deathcore. The group released its first album in 1999 on the Fly Music label, entitled Ethnocore. They followed in June of 2000 with Book of Utopia, released on the Obuh label. Ethnocore 2: Nytu appeared in spring 2001."

From Japan, there is the solo work of Makoto Kawabata, or his amazing group, Acid Mothers Temple. The group has a prolific output, and blends punk, metal, power rock, psychedelia, and mixes in tradtional music. One album that features Tibetan chanting is La Novia:

"Acid Mothers Temple, led by guitar visionary Kawabata Makoto, is the preeminent Japanese psychedelic folk-rock band. Given the guitarist's penchant for extremes — he's also a member of Main Liner and Musica Trans Sonic — there's no reason to suggest that this little gem, which is a CD reissue of a lost vinyl collector's item, would be anything other than something that skirts the outer edges of Japanese and Eastern European folk and driving psych & roll pyrotechnics. Simply put, one listen to the 40-minute mind-expanding jam of the title track, and the listener will never fully recover from a journey that takes musical conventions, tosses them into an acid-drenched blender, and makes a delicious, thick, many-textured hallucinogenic soup. Makoto plays electric guitars, bouzouki, harp, and bowed peacock feather, all on the title track, and is accompanied by bandmates on guitars, recorders, drums, and synths. From Tibetan chanting to medieval chanting to drifting guitars and percussion to screaming, cascading rock & roll feedback, all harnessed — barely — by a euphoric sense of the ever-expanding sonic universe, La Nòvia carries listeners on a journey so far-fetched, so extreme, yet so compellingly listenable, they will be hard-pressed to believe what happened by the track's startling conclusion. From the Muzikas to Can to the Electric Prunes, Acid Mothers Temple carries the weight of sound and dimension into the territories at the edge of the sonic imagination. That they can do this is remarkable, that they can do this so musically is a damn miracle! The other standout of the three "selections" here is "Bon Voyage au LSD," a loose, droning, seemingly improvised work that becomes a guitar and percussion symphony along the same lines as Glenn Branca's, only less muddled by artsy pretension. Ultimately, La Nòvia is about rock & roll soul and vision, and the ability to create something new from a music that was said to be dead over 25 years ago. La Nòvia is, simply, "the good."

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 35
While I havent found exactly what I was after yet, I have been introduced to quite alot of new music that I would buy.

Some other artists I came across

Yat-Ka
Huun-Huur-Tu
Hedningarna

Gyuto Monk's Tibetan Tantric Choir is awesome, defintely grabbing that.

Madredeus - O Paraiso was an album I got from the other thread that I liked, although has nothing to do with what I am looking for here, thought it was worth mentioning
smily_headphones1.gif

FalconP: Yungchen Lhamo I did actually quite like, slow and simple is fine with me.

Vas - great music, will have to get an album of theirs.
Dadawa is good too.

Gratefulshrink: Atmans I think I will like although Magic Carpathians (or should I say, Karpaty Magiczne) leaps a bit out of my taste for my liking, the album I got I wasn't too keen on. Good music though.

edit: some other stuff I came across, but havent heard yet

Tamara Obrovac
Nova Menco
Amarok
Nikhil Banerjee
Clear Stream Temple
Sevara Nazarkhan
Equimanthorn
Rodrigo Leão
Ravi Shankar
Urna

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 35
I wouldnt under any circumstances call Hedningarna dark
smily_headphones1.gif
But if you like that, listen to Loituma also. (And Sanna Kurki-Suonio:s solo works, especialy record Musta). That is if you like lyrical Hedningarna also and not only their instrumental stuff.

Edit:
Equimanthorn is GREAT, dont miss that one!

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 35
Neither would I, although I like it nonetheless, and I did mention I was into Scandinavian traditional music in the OP
smily_headphones1.gif

The album I got of Hedningarna had a female duet, I believe it was the 1998 one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back