Dark Electronic
May 1, 2004 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
I really enjoy the electronic music threads here. So let's have another! Calling for Dark electronic of all persuasions. No restrictions here, trance, house, DnB, IDM, Industrial, whatever. It just has to be mean and depression or fear-inducing.

Edit: Please list sources for more obscure stuff if possible.

May 1, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 21
although it's so repetitive it bores me to tears rather than scare me, Scorn does fit your description.

but Ulver - Perdition city rocks though (well...in a electronic kinda way
wink.gif
)

May 2, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 21
It's a very broad category .... some artists that come to mind are Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Brian Williams aka Lustmord, Darrin Verhagen aka Shinjuku Thief, Paul Schutze, Thomas Koner, Richard Devine, and Phoenecia .... three must-hear records are ....

Coil - How To Destroy Angels (1984), remix/re-release 1992

Robert Rich/Lustmord - Stalker (1995)

Richard Devine - Aleamapper (2001)

May 2, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 21
I was a big fan of dark drum and bass years ago, actually still am.

Ed rush and Optical-The Creeps
Panacea-low profile darkness(very dark) or twisted designz
http://www.savetheuniverse.us/panacea.htm

Any old(1996-1999) posistion chrome label 12''

Dark ambient

Gridlock-Trace
Alec Empire - Low on Ice
Herbst 9 - From a dark Chasm Below(darkest I've ever heard)
http://www.herbst9.de/mainframe.htm

I'll add Mick Harris'(drummer for napalm death) album "Scorn-Whine "

May 2, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 21
Man, I have so many possible recommendations.. need to think and whittle down. I'll edit my post regularly, adding more and more as they come to mind.

First, I'll pretty much second all the recommendations everyone has already listed. oosoo's recommendations are definitely spot-on, except for the Richard Devine recommendation. I'm not terribly fond of Devine, and even if I were, I wouldn't consider him "dark" at all. But, hey, different strokes.
smily_headphones1.gif

jhawk's d&b recommendations are also good. Panacea's "Low Profile Darkness" is an absolute classic and was way ahead of its time. (Be warned: new Panacea is ENTIRELY different from Panacea of old.)

If you want dark ambient, I'd recommend starting with the LOKI Foundation label. Inade especially, as well as the aforementioned Herbst9 recommendation. Malignant Records is a great, cheap American mailorder that stocks the aforementioned.

For the epitome of dark and doomy, Sweden's Brighter Death Now is where it's at. Keep in mind this stuff probably wouldn't be considered "music" by most. It's loud, abrasive, noisy, and usually devoid of things like rhythm and melody... it's all atmosphere. But if you can get into it, it does its job very well.

Okay, more later...

- Chris

May 3, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 21
Hey Chris, are you objecting to Aleamapper in particular or to Devine's work in general? Curious to know what you make of it. The Schematic roster offers plenty of dark electronic but just about all of it is a hybrid music. In addition to Devine and Phoenecia, check out Kiyo and Otto Von Schirach.

Von Schirach, Jeswa (Phoenecia) and Needle (Beta Bodega) also released an awesome alternate soundtrack to the German silent-era horror film classic Nosferatu, in a 2CD set with Needle and Io's music for The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Out on Elegua Records.

May 3, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 21
I have two recommendations above everything else. Ulver - Lyckantropen themes and Atrium Carceri - Cellblock. Cellblock is dark ambient with a very, very strong atmosphere and "deathrow" theme. Except some really evil deathcell ambient sounds, hehe. Lyckantropen is harder to describe. It's kind of dark ambient with slightly aphex twin-like style, but without the breakbeats. Very melancholic, or even sad. I have never really been into IDM-like genres, but this album is an exception.

May 3, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 21
a couple recommendations for more obscure stuff...

First, u-topia, a trip hop group from italy, is definately worth checking out.
u-topia - u-topia
u-topia - background door

And second a friend of mine from palestine makes some very original electronica that might be considered dark [it scares my wife]. He has one album, but it hasnt been released or anything. He has it available on his website... which I cant find for some reason... I did find one of his old ones though and there are a few tracks available there.

http://www.zebox.com/Jkutt/music/

Oh, and his album is 'Boi Kutt - The Ramallah Project' [sp?]

I would suggest checking out soulseek for either of these artists as they are hard to come by.

May 3, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 21
One of the best examples has to be group DELERIUM, a project of Rhys Fulber & Bill Leeb. Good starting point are the Archives Collection 1 & 2:
Archives

Also several artists of the Projekt Label should be examinied like:
Love Spirals Downwards
Lycia
Lush soundscapes from the dark recesses of your mind guided by enchanting sirens.
cool.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by oosoo
Hey Chris, are you objecting to Aleamapper in particular or to Devine's work in general? Curious to know what you make of it. The Schematic roster offers plenty of dark electronic but just about all of it is a hybrid music. In addition to Devine and Phoenecia, check out Kiyo and Otto Von Schirach.

I don't know if I've actually heard Aleamapper specifically. I do know that the other Devine I've heard (Lipswitch and Asect/Dsect) struck me as little more than "Look at me mess around with Reaktor!"-type IDM. Just didn't grab me. I really did enjoy Devine's very first 12", though (SCH005)... that's a tasty piece of work.

Funny thing: on the newest Venetian Snares CD (Horse & Goat, which sucks, BTW), there's a track called "Richard Devine A+ Student." Heh. Not sure if that's a jab at him (i.e. Autechre student) or what.

- Chris

May 4, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Phonem - Hydro Electric, Ilisu, ect. (they're all sad)
Coil - The Angelic Conversation (kind of scary, too), Aqua Regis (weird)
Venetian Snares - Doll Doll Doll CD (mean, dark, and badass)
Gridlock - Formless (it's industrial, so yeah it's kind of dark)
Xanopticon - Liminal Space

May 13, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 21
May 14, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 21
If anyone here has heard of the PC game called "Descent II" by Parallax Software (released 1996), it has a GREAT soundtrack right there on the CD. Industrial music that goes with the game perfectly. MP3 excerpts are available on Interplay.com, I think...

May 24, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 21
Some favorites of mine--

Coil's "How to Destroy Angels" and "Horse Rotorvator", among other albums, are simply amazing. Essential works, no one can ever duplicate their sound. Can't even put justice to them in words.

Memorandum's "Ars Moriendi" is, I believe, the best excellent example of the Cold Meat Industry Label, tough to find that release now. Dark, primitive, awesome. Brighter Death Now, Morthound, and Deutsch Nepal are also good.

Muslimgauze-- do any research on this English Artist (now deceased) and you will find an intimidating discography (50+ releases). I have heard about 10 of them. I just managed to re-find my favorite (on ebay for $70, long out of print), a simply unbelievable album called "Vote Hezbollah". Extremely ambient, an eastern music feel, absolutely hypnotic.

Illusion of Safety-- I have not heard everything they've put out, but "Inside Agitator" is fantastic. The only group I've ever heard that uses samples as well as Skinny Puppy.

Speaking of which, I have to recommend Skinny Puppy. Make sure to listen to "Bites, Remission, Cleanse Fold Manipulate, Mind T.P.I., Too Dark Park."

SPK-- Graeme Revell, who is now a film soundtrack machine... in the early 80's, his was one of the best industrial/noise groups out. Pick up "Information Overload Unit", if you dare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back