Dapper for Mac updates: App to sync iTunes with your DAP
Oct 18, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #302 of 332
In order fo "Go" to appear two things need to happen:
1... We need to "see" the original disks you selected
2... We need to be granted access to them by macOS.

Usually #2 is the issue and re-selecting essentially resets the problem. Ill keep an eye out and check that code to see if I can improve it.

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #303 of 332
In order fo "Go" to appear two things need to happen:
1... We need to "see" the original disks you selected
2... We need to be granted access to them by macOS.

Usually #2 is the issue and re-selecting essentially resets the problem. Ill keep an eye out and check that code to see if I can improve it.

Well it's for times like this - sometimes my DAP (Shanling M0) syncs REALLY slowly, and of course now I can't 'quit' this sync, there is no cancel button. If I crash out of the program - or the very few times it's crashed - or quit and restart quite often Dapper either freezes or cannot see the device, even if I reselect it.

I know the fastest way is to use the card reader directly - I do do that for larger syncs but when it does this 'slow down' is completely random. And I'm left with a poor choice - restarting the program which might mean rebooting the machine, which ironically sometimes takes longer than the estimated time - or leaving it, possibly for a long time.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 14.02.28.png

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #305 of 332
Case in point - I quit that sync, or tried to - the program spinny balled and froze, I did a force quit and now - won't scan the drive even after reselecting it.

Ok, let me see if I can fix this and add a stop button and also dig into why it "resets"

If possible, can you next time it doesn't show go:

open the terminal app, type: defaults read com.map-pin.Dapper
Save that
Then fix the issue and again
type: defaults read com.map-pin.Dapper

Thens end me the two listings so I can diagnose the issue

J

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #306 of 332
Some updates:

I am working on a new version that includes some changes:

I am vastly improving the copying error handling because Catalina seems to have a lot of file access bugs we're trying to nail down. (Roon users also seem to be having issues here)
Dapper will initially copy a file as fast as it can. (the usual way)
New:
Dapper will check once the copy is done and compare the file size on the DAP to the file Size on your Mac, thereby catching failed copies. If this happens it will try again using a slower, but more error-message-rich method.
If it is denied access to a file, it will ask you to select the parent directory, thereby granting access to the file. (It will save this access for the future to automatically enable access)
If this fails, or anything else fails it will log the error, and stop syncing after too many errors.

If you are seeing missing files, open Applications->Utilities->Console and click "Errors and Faults" on the left, then type Dapper in the search box and hit enter. You'll see the above detailed error info.

Dapper now supports a faster Music library scan if you create a playlist named "All Dapper Music". It will scan this playlist to select music to copy and then copy the other playlists over instead of interrogating each file in each and every playlist. The effect of this is that tracks will be only looked at once, but it is up to you to have this playlist correctly include every single track you want synced independently of the other playlists.

I am improving vastly your ability to stop a sync mid way through.

By default Dapper will not "Collect album art and save it to folder.jpg" - This vastly speeds up scanning.
Even in current versions you may wish to manually uncheck this checkbox on the options tab if your dap does not need folder.jpg files.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #308 of 332
Hi Jeremy,

I cannot sync with the latest version of Dapper on MacOS 10.14. Dapper crashes almost always immediately after I hit GO. A few times it started syncing for a couple of seconds before crashing. Very frustrating. And I cannot go back to an older version which worked. :frowning2:

I see such things like:
System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 3 Dispatch queue: com.map-pin.Dapper.scan.itunes

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSCFString path]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x600001a32080'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException​

EDIT: Good news, it started synching now! I went to Settings and tried to disable everything non-vital. Don't remember what exactly but it seems to be working now. Happy.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #311 of 332
@zenlisten this May be related to Apples album art issues. Can you check your "Collect album art" checkbox on the options tab. I suspect it's off... and that if you turn it on all hell breaks loose

Your guess is right. Dapper crashes on the GO button if this setting is ticked: "Collect Album Art and save too folder.jpg". Unticking it will avoid the crash.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #313 of 332
Hey folks. I need some people who are willing to test updates for me - especially if you are on MacOS 10.13/14 and Catalina

Please 1:1 me with your MacOS and Ill send you a copy.

I have made changes and I don't want to just post it with only me as a tester.

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #314 of 332
Dapper version 4.50 is in phased rollout in the Mac App Store this week.
In 4.50 I embedded the Android File Transfer capabilities directly into the Dapper app, so that you no longer need to download Dapper Scripts for Android based DAPs.

This also means that Dapper does a much better job of detecting Android players.

I also have added a warning to users noting that larger (1TB/2TB or more) libraries should stick to “Audiophile mode” and not direct music access because MacOS Music is very slow in these cases, making Dapper look like its "Not responding" while MacOS does whatever it needs to do with the library.

So, especially for this group here on Head-Fi, if you have a large library you may want to stick to XML files and not direct access to your music using MacOS if you see a major slowdown in Dapper right after you launch it.

In order to start up Dapper using XML files, press and hold down the option key at startup to select this .XML file based access if you have a large library:

This will require you to either "Share iTunes Library XML file with 3rd party applications" in the iTunes Advanced Settings, or manually export the library from the new Music app before a sync.

Hopefully Apple "Fixes" Catalina... :wink:

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 7.26.00 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back